Mahomes warming up for an MVP run?

7 minutes ago, Balto said:

I think we need a early round WR not mid/late.

There's lots of needs that can be addressed in the early rounds, but another WR isn't at the top of the list.  Reid might go that way because that's what he does, but unless the Chief improve the line, the pass game won't peak.  With Hill, Kelce, Hardman, Pringle, and a few RB routes, how many targets would a first round WR get?  If Schwartz retires and a top IOL isn't acquired, how many hits will Mahomes take?  Actually, the Chiefs may be able to do both with their extra picks, but a starting OT and OC should be top concerns. .

35 minutes ago, Balto said:

I think we need a early round WR not mid/late.

Every team needs an early round guy in whatever position they are looking for. In reality Chiefs should never spend higher than a comp. 3rd for a WR and 4th - 7th is a much better place.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

There's lots of needs that can be addressed in the early rounds, but another WR isn't at the top of the list.  Reid might go that way because that's what he does, but unless the Chief improve the line, the pass game won't peak.  With Hill, Kelce, Hardman, Pringle, and a few RB routes, how many targets would a first round WR get?  If Schwartz retires and a top IOL isn't acquired, how many hits will Mahomes take?  Actually, the Chiefs may be able to do both with their extra picks, but a starting OT and OC should be top concerns. .

Could not disagree more.  A reliable 3rd wideout with game breaking ability is what keeps us moving forward when kelce and tyreek get too much attention.  It's what turns this offense from "great" to "fire breathing dragon".

The IOL can be schemed around if we make sure the tackles are set, which i admit is also a major concern.  I would actually be really happy with some combo of WR and OT in the first 3 rounds, especially if it's an OT capable of playing inside and out.

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

Every team needs an early round guy in whatever position they are looking for. In reality Chiefs should never spend higher than a comp. 3rd for a WR and 4th - 7th is a much better place.

Fixing that Oline will make Pringle and whoever we have playing wr #2 & #3 look a lot better.   Ask Aaron Rodgers and GB.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:17 PM, Lamardirts said:

Fixing that Oline will make Pringle and whoever we have playing wr #2 & #3 look a lot better.   Ask Aaron Rodgers and GB.

Disagree but shouldn't be hard to ask.  A-a-ron probably sitting on his couch right now.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:47 AM, jetlord said:

I think WR is an important position that needs to be addressed sooner than later because the complexity of this O, but I agree that DE, IOL, and now OT trump WR currently.   But if EB gets hired we will have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and two 4s and two 5s.     So we can get a DE, IOL, OT and WR in the first 3 rounds and even move up in the third to get one with those 4th rounders.   
Hardman is at best a 3rd option (an important one because of his speed and keeping defenses honest) so we need a smooth route runner to compliment Kelce and Hill but I don’t think we can draft that until the 3rd.  Upgrading that line with what you listed though would be good enough to win but one injury would kill so we need a wr just not in the first two rounds.   

49 minutes ago, xen said:

Disagree but shouldn't be hard to ask.  A-a-ron probably sitting on his couch right now.

Did their LT go out with an injury?  Did the Bucs create pressure?  So did Aaron lose that game because of his wrs or because his OL failed?   I do understand what you are saying and we always need to add weapons but this off-season we need OL first.   We played over half the season and both playoff games without Sammy and did fine.   Would we have done better with Schwartz and Osemele playing every game or Watkins?

My point is this team already has two HOF receives and while adding another is always nice the value isn’t there.   We drafted a RB that looks like a little above avg because our Oline is garbage.  We are destroying people and we are one dimensional.   Upgrade the OL which gives Mahomes more time to make plays, gives Andy an actually running game when needed and adds another level to this offense.   If we didn’t have Hill or Kelce I can see adding a wr over a OL but this off-season we should fix the OL first and then draft a wr latter to develop.   

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Did their LT go out with an injury?  Did the Bucs create pressure?  So did Aaron lose that game because of his wrs or because his OL failed?   I do understand what you are saying and we always need to add weapons but this off-season we need OL first.   We played over half the season and both playoff games without Sammy and did fine.   Would we have done better with Schwartz and Osemele playing every game or Watkins?

My point is this team already has two HOF receives and while adding another is always nice the value isn’t there.   We drafted a RB that looks like a little above avg because our Oline is garbage.  We are destroying people and we are one dimensional.   Upgrade the OL which gives Mahomes more time to make plays, gives Andy an actually running game when needed and adds another level to this offense.   If we didn’t have Hill or Kelce I can see adding a wr over a OL but this off-season we should fix the OL first and then draft a wr latter to develop.   

Replacement level oline players are easy to find as well.  Andy and Veach have proven that.

All I'm saying is BPA in round 1.  No reaching.  Just get a guy they feel strongly about.  Then let the board fall to you.

So for instance, if one of the top WRs or Kyle Pitts falls within striking distance, we should get after it.  If not, oh well, BPA.

Tackle a much greater need now though, that's for sure.  Quite a few good tackles in this draft.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, jetlord said:

I agree OL, especially tackle, needs to be addressed early.  But, AR has taken exactly two Olineman in the first two rounds since joining KC, Fisher and Morse.  This would be the year to grab one early, though.  Depends if someone wants to sign here on the cheap for a chance at a ring.

I agree with majority. OL all the way especially tackles. We have 2 of them back next year in LDT and Naing. Need to grab a few more and mix in what we have. 
if Veach can strengthen this o line we would be even more dangerous keeping the same wr we have now minus Watkins. 
We also need to find the next Kelce. Grabbing a stud TE would be a better choice than a WR. 

4 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

I agree with majority. OL all the way especially tackles. We have 2 of them back next year in LDT and Naing. Need to grab a few more and mix in what we have. 
if Veach can strengthen this o line we would be even more dangerous keeping the same wr we have now minus Watkins. 
We also need to find the next Kelce. Grabbing a stud TE would be a better choice than a WR. 

Kelce has a few more years in hi barring severe injury.  A second TE is necessary, but the Chiefs don't need to draft Kelce's replacement yet.  There's enough quality at O-line this draft that the Chiefs should get a long term starter without reaching.  We don't know if Schwartz will attempt to come back and how long Fisher will be out, but both are expensive and draftees would come cheaper than FAs of good quality.  An OC in the second or third will also be there that would be a cheap upgrade over Reiter.  That still leaves three, maybe four, picks in the first four rounds to get the WR, CB, Edge, or TE that the team could use.  Veach can also seem to find a few gems in the later rounds as well.

I think OL and DE takes precedent over WR. I think we can get a good possession receiver in FA looking for a ring or maybe bring Watkins back on Vet minimum since he proved yet again he can't stay healthy.

If we don't shore up OL I think CEH is a wasted pick. Like the guy, but not wowed me and improving the line will help him tremendously while keeping pat from running for his life.  We get Niang back, but is unproven, and LDT which is a crap shoot.  Schwartz may or may not be done and Fish is a year out if not let go.  That's a lot of holes to fill.  Like to see two OL and DE that are highest rated then LB or development TE or WR. Love to find another Sneed!

Got no issue taking WR high next year, just don't think this is the year for it though. But I'll defer to Veach since it's his ass on the line. 

50 minutes ago, jetlord said:

but the Chiefs don't need to draft Kelce's replacement yet.

Maybe not this year... but soon. He's going to be impossible to replace, obviously... which is why the sooner they start looking the better. 

I hope he lasts as long as gronk... we get three more seasons out of him, that would be awesome

if they keep using him like they're doing, which I approve of by the way, he might not make it that long... I was holding my breath when he dove for the pylon on sunday