Chiefs vs Panthers Game Day Thread

Our problem on defense is Sorenson is a safety and is our best linebacker. Hitchens and Wilson and Neimann are not starting material.

The offensive line is not good and Andy seems to always run to the right, which is the worst side.

As a UCF fan who had to see Matt Rhule yearly in Temple, the man can coach and over perform. I hated facing him. He will probably never win a super bowl, but his teams play tough.

4 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Our problem on defense is Sorenson is a safety and is our best linebacker. Hitchens and Wilson and Neimann are not starting material.

The offensive line is not good and Andy seems to always run to the right, which is the worst side.

As a UCF fan who had to see Matt Rhule yearly in Temple, the man can coach and over perform. I hated facing him. He will probably never win a super bowl, but his teams play tough.

Hitchens has played well this year. His PFF rating is very good. Sorenson is also scored well with PFF. They each have roles,. Cant have a super star at every position.

15 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

To me its the actual running play calls that are annoying.  We know our IOL is bad and our two stud rb's are great pass catchers and good at making guys miss so why not run to the outside a little or actually use your stud pass catching rb's in that capacity.   Also don't call a cutesy play with Darrell Williams as the focal point that expects Reiter, Wylie and Allegretti to get down field and block in space for a critical 3rd down.  Also in critical times of the game keep the ball in Brady's hands.  Sometimes I wonder who is calling what and when.  I feel like Andy could care less but EB forces him into running it because he's adamant about running up the gut.  I could be way off but that isn't coaching to put your players in positions to succeed, actually thats the opposite.  Running a smaller, shifty back into the middle of the line where your IOL can't block for a crap and expecting good things to happen. smh

I agree with most of this.  My position is that passing is more efficient than running in general, and especially for our specific team.  Some of the times we run and the plays we call are unconscionable.  I'm not saying never run, but we don't need to be "balanced."  We haven't hit peak efficiency yet.

Not sure if I agree that EB is the one making Andy run.  Andy has always been a curious playcaller, it's his greatest strength at times and his biggest weakness at others.

Also, I'm pretty sure our QB is Mahomes not Brady.  🤣

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I've got 1700+ posts and made the CEH point 2-3 times recently at most.  I like the kid, he's fun when he's on, the pick was bad value.

I believe in analytics, if that's my one trick it's a better trick than "hey, our running sucks, maybe we should do it...more?"

If you take out CEH first game the results are average at best. On this team he was a wasted pick. Williams went from bench guy to playoff Williams on this team. Elite running backs are not critical in todays nfl. Next man up is good enough.

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

If you take out CEH first game the results are average at best. On this team he was a wasted pick. Williams went from bench guy to playoff Williams on this team. Elite running backs are not critical in todays nfl. Next man up is good enough.

Take out Texans and Bills and it's arguably bad, not average.  Not all his fault, as discussed plenty here.  But still he's not moving the needle on his own.

58 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

To me its the actual running play calls that are annoying.  We know our IOL is bad and our two stud rb's are great pass catchers and good at making guys miss so why not run to the outside a little or actually use your stud pass catching rb's in that capacity.   Also don't call a cutesy play with Darrell Williams as the focal point that expects Reiter, Wylie and Allegretti to get down field and block in space for a critical 3rd down.  Also in critical times of the game keep the ball in Brady's hands.  Sometimes I wonder who is calling what and when.  I feel like Andy could care less but EB forces him into running it because he's adamant about running up the gut.  I could be way off but that isn't coaching to put your players in positions to succeed, actually thats the opposite.  Running a smaller, shifty back into the middle of the line where your IOL can't block for a crap and expecting good things to happen. smh

Sometimes I think he just calls a run play to say he did.. with Bienemy, you would think it would be incredibly creative. No counters, no Tosses, rarely from under center. It’s always a shotgun handoff it feels. No momentum, for the back. When they commit, I do believe they can run effectively though. 

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

Sometimes I think he just calls a run play to say he did.. with Bienemy, you would think it would be incredibly creative. No counters, no Tosses, rarely from under center. It’s always a shotgun handoff it feels. No momentum, for the back. When they commit, I do believe they can run effectively though. 

They do and shown they have. The Jets and Panthers keyed in on the run these past two weeks which opened up Savage Mahomes. Kilgore needs to be starting at center , why he was pulled I'm not sure. Bring in Wiz.

I haven't watched the game yet, but a lot of good comments in this thread. It's hard to give an opinion without watching the game, but when Andy Reid is on, he's really on; like Sean Payton is tonight with the Saints.

I think every matchup presents different possibilities. I'm glad we're going into the bye week now. Hopefully they can work some things out. 

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He had to go up against Brian Burns which was a tough task but I think he did ok.  He's a big dude thats for sure!  

That's good to hear.  With Schwartz back injury I worry about his future.  Would be nice if durant could be a possibility.  He played at Arizona Western,  a top JUCO that has produced a lot of elite talent.  Then was a 2 year starter at Missouri.  

5 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I agree with most of this.  My position is that passing is more efficient than running in general, and especially for our specific team.  Some of the times we run and the plays we call are unconscionable.  I'm not saying never run, but we don't need to be "balanced."  We haven't hit peak efficiency yet.

Not sure if I agree that EB is the one making Andy run.  Andy has always been a curious playcaller, it's his greatest strength at times and his biggest weakness at others.

Also, I'm pretty sure our QB is Mahomes not Brady.  🤣

Lol meant to say BB keeps the ball in Brady’s hands.

Also I’m not for balance, I’m for efficiency.   Like a few game back it was more efficient to run so we did.  This game we pass blocked well and decided at key point to run weird and vanilla runs for no gains or sizable losses.  So I agree with you.  

7 hours ago, Palangi said:

Watching highlights,  we really need to stop playing Neimann 

He’s absolutely terrible.  It quite literally looks like he runs into lineman on purpose.  I think you have to consider Hitchens in that some role.  Or through Gay or DOD and let them sink or swim.   I’m willing to bet Gay would make a play or two that would offset his learning mistakes.

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

That's good to hear.  With Schwartz back injury I worry about his future.  Would be nice if durant could be a possibility.  He played at Arizona Western,  a top JUCO that has produced a lot of elite talent.  Then was a 2 year starter at Missouri.  

Lucas Niang misses out this year.  

7 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

CEH was a waste of a draft pick.  We needed IOL or LB.

I don’t think he is a wasted pick as much as we aren’t utilizing him at all correctly.  In the flat the dude makes people miss a lot.  He was never going to dominate at running between the tackles but that’s all we seem to utilize him as.  Bells another guy that we don’t look to in the flat.  Mahomes doesn’t even look at him.   

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Lol meant to say BB keeps the ball in Brady’s hands.

Also I’m not for balance, I’m for efficiency.   Like a few game back it was more efficient to run so we did.  This game we pass blocked well and decided at key point to run weird and vanilla runs for no gains or sizable losses.  So I agree with you.  

Yup, same page.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I don’t think he is a wasted pick as much as we aren’t utilizing him at all correctly.  In the flat the dude makes people miss a lot.  He was never going to dominate at running between the tackles but that’s all we seem to utilize him as.  Bells another guy that we don’t look to in the flat.  Mahomes doesn’t even look at him.   

I still would have preferred a different pick, but again we're on the same page for some of the why.

For all these quibbles about the offense, let's again have some perspective (which I know some of you have).  33 points, we moved the ball at will except for the final drive - like I said earlier, we scored on 6 of 9 drives and that was our only punt.  We left a few points on the board, but 33 points and 3.7 points/drive should win an NFL game.

The real issue was the defense.  It was our 2nd worst game of the year by points and by the eye test to me.  Having said that, the Panthers pulled out ALL the stops and it worked more than it didn't (the 2 4th down conversions and the fake punt vs. the surprise onside kick), not to mention a couple of insane Panthers catches on that last TD drive.  So they threw the kitchen sink at us and on balance it was lucky, and I'll add that we had a LOT of ill-timed defensive penalties.

If I have a concern, I think it's our ability to adjust in game on defense.  Like in the Raiders game it just seemed like the same stuff was working all day, and some of it was schematic.  They had guys open in the flat on every play.  That's Teddy's bread-and-butter, why isn't that being covered?

But still, we were coming off of two blowouts.  It's hard to have three straight blowouts no matter the quality of your opponents.  But we were just a few bounces going our way from winning by two TDs.  The Panthers aren't great but they are frisky.  Going into the bye is a great time to have a skin-of-your-teeth win.  Hopefully they take a few days to get healthy and then hammer that film and come out motivated for Las Vegas.

54 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I just saw Slye's final FG attempt again.  I think it had more leg than some of you realized.  I think it landed beyond the end zone.  I don't know if it had enough, but it wasn't *that* short if it was short.

10 yrs later I still marvel at how much you like to be right. I still think you are a lawyer. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

10 yrs later I still marvel at how much you like to be right. I still think you are a lawyer. 

It's not an "I told you so" in this case, I was genuinely surprised to see people saying it was 10 yards short. Not what I remembered seeing. Slye has a leg, he just barely missed a 65 yarder the other week. I was at least a little worried. 

5 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

It's not an "I told you so" in this case, I was genuinely surprised to see people saying it was 10 yards short. Not what I remembered seeing. Slye has a leg, he just barely missed a 65 yarder the other week. I was at least a little worried. 

Well they were saying he missed "left" too. So I just assumed some of it was beer goggles. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well they were saying he missed "left" too. So I just assumed some of it was beer goggles. 

Ha, good point, I didn't even notice that people said the wrong direction (I knew it was to the right).  "Left" if you're in the end zone stands I suppose.