Chiefs vs Panthers Game Day Thread

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

For all these quibbles about the offense, let's again have some perspective (which I know some of you have).  33 points, we moved the ball at will except for the final drive - like I said earlier, we scored on 6 of 9 drives and that was our only punt.  We left a few points on the board, but 33 points and 3.7 points/drive should win an NFL game.

The real issue was the defense.  It was our 2nd worst game of the year by points and by the eye test to me.  Having said that, the Panthers pulled out ALL the stops and it worked more than it didn't (the 2 4th down conversions and the fake punt vs. the surprise onside kick), not to mention a couple of insane Panthers catches on that last TD drive.  So they threw the kitchen sink at us and on balance it was lucky, and I'll add that we had a LOT of ill-timed defensive penalties.

If I have a concern, I think it's our ability to adjust in game on defense.  Like in the Raiders game it just seemed like the same stuff was working all day, and some of it was schematic.  They had guys open in the flat on every play.  That's Teddy's bread-and-butter, why isn't that being covered?

But still, we were coming off of two blowouts.  It's hard to have three straight blowouts no matter the quality of your opponents.  But we were just a few bounces going our way from winning by two TDs.  The Panthers aren't great but they are frisky.  Going into the bye is a great time to have a skin-of-your-teeth win.  Hopefully they take a few days to get healthy and then hammer that film and come out motivated for Las Vegas.

A few mistakes early can make more than just a TD or two difference.  An mediocre team that hangs with the reigning champs builds confidence as the game goes on, which makes it harder and harder to put them away.   My frustration was the obvious motivation for the Panthers to pull out all the stops and our coaching staff (cough cough Dave Toub) failing to put the players in a position to succeed.  A team that is using every trick up their sleeve to win is always capable of trying fake punts/onsides etc.  We went for the block on that punt.....?!?!?!?   They don't score there and we have momentum.   

The 4th and 3 on the first drive was a little maddening as we blitzed but allowed their best player a free release for an easy TD.  Not sure who made the mistake or if Spags was willing to take that risk but if Thornhill just chips CMC, Teddy has no time to finish that play.  

Chris Jones penalty kept another drive alive for them. 

Every time Ben Niemann is on the field he is a huge liability and a terrible player.  Im at the point of letting Gay make rookie mistakes because I think the 2-3 plays he can make per game would offset the 4-5 huge mistakes that Niemann makes each game.  If I was a OC, I would only run formations that keep Niemann on the field and I would design plays specifically to attack him.  Watch him blitz, I think he purposely runs right into lineman and is rendered useless or like the 4th down.   I think we did better at stopping the panthers on 3rd and short than we did 3rd and long because Ben Niemann is not on the field in base or nickel.    I wish we had some reports with some stones to ask about him.   

Butker missing a FG and an xp.

We also didn't challenge a drop by the Panthers that would have stalled another drive.

You are right it's the little mistakes and it's not a bad thing to win a close game vs an inferior team to keep the player's heads on straight.  We are a few self inflicted mistakes away from crushing them.  Like you said our offense was more than sufficient to win the game but there were some play calls that had most of us scratching our head.  Overall we found a way to win and the D had to make that last stop vs a talented group of skill players so thats always a positive.  

I

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

A few mistakes early can make more than just a TD or two difference.  An mediocre team that hangs with the reigning champs builds confidence as the game goes on, which makes it harder and harder to put them away.   My frustration was the obvious motivation for the Panthers to pull out all the stops and our coaching staff (cough cough Dave Toub) failing to put the players in a position to succeed.  A team that is using every trick up their sleeve to win is always capable of trying fake punts/onsides etc.  We went for the block on that punt.....?!?!?!?   They don't score there and we have momentum.   

The 4th and 3 on the first drive was a little maddening as we blitzed but allowed their best player a free release for an easy TD.  Not sure who made the mistake or if Spags was willing to take that risk but if Thornhill just chips CMC, Teddy has no time to finish that play.  

Every time Ben Niemann is on the field he is a huge liability and a terrible player.  Im at the point of letting Gay make rookie mistakes because I think the 2-3 plays he can make per game would offset the 4-5 huge mistakes that Niemann makes each game.  If I was a OC, I would only run formations that keep Niemann on the field and I would design plays specifically to attack him.  Watch him blitz, I think he purposely runs right into lineman and is rendered useless or like the 4th down.   I think we did better at stopping the panthers on 3rd and short than we did 3rd and long because Ben Niemann is not on the field in base or nickel.    I wish we had some reports with some stones to ask about him.   

We also didn't challenge a drop by the Panthers that would have stalled another drive.

You are right it's the little mistakes and it's not a bad thing to win a close game vs an inferior team to keep the player's heads on straight.  We are a few self inflicted mistakes away from crushing them.  Like you said our offense was more than sufficient to win the game but there were some play calls that had most of us scratching our head.  Overall we found a way to win and the D had to make that last stop vs a talented group of skill players so thats always a positive.  

I

Would you like some cheese with that whine? 17-1 Baby. Its working.

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I

Agree with most of that.  I think Jones might have had two drive extending penalties, I can't remember.  The team definitely had multiple ones.

I don't remember the drop you're talking about that you say should have been challenged.

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I don't think this is fair.  That was a pretty level-headed analysis that talks about our weaknesses without being a Debbie Downer.

KC does not have an oline that will allow them to run the ball against decent defenses. Nobody is on the roster that can really change that. Its not the Rbs its the oline. Im fine with it. I prefer a pass first approach. KC is 17-1 throwing the ball. 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire has 19 carries in the three games since the Chiefs activated Le'Veon Bell. 

The rookie had a measly five carries in Week 9 against Carolina, salvaging his day with a receiving touchdown while catching three of five targets for 20 yards. Edwards-Helaire retaining his goal line usage hasn't translated to fantasy success, and Darrell Williams playing on some passing downs has destroyed CEH's upside. Edwards-Helaire is a RB3 going forward. 

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Not sure what you consider whining.  We almost lost to a 3-5 team because we made some unforced errors and had some mental lapses.  The sky isn't falling but if those mistakes aren't fixed we will drop another game or two.  This team has some weaknesses that our strengths cover-up such as Oline play and LB play.  I'm sure not pointing out all your "We shouldn't have drafted a rb in the first round" whining because I think it's a valid complaint at this point in the season.  If we aren't going to use CEH to his strengths then it was totally a wasted pick.  However, if they use him correctly he will be an invaluable asset down the stretch.