Mid season look

So every team has at least eight games in (some, including the Chiefs have nine) so it's easier to predict where this season is going playoff wise.  There are nine teams in the AFC playing for seven spots unless COVID pushes the league into a rumored 16 team playoff.  Yesterday, every one of the nine won with the exception of IND which lost to another contender, BAL.   It's interesting to look at the remain schedules of those teams and guess at a final record and playoff seeding.

BUF (7-2): AZ, PIT, MIA (tough games) LAC, SFO, DEN, NE (should win)

MIA (5-3😞 KC, LV, BUF.......LAC, DEN, NYJ,CINN, NE

PIT (8-0): BAL, BUF, IND.......CINN, JAX, WASH, CIN, CLE

BAL (6-2):  TENN, PIT......NE, DAL, CLE, JAX, NYG, CLE

CLE (5-3)  TEN, BAL. PIT.....HOU, PHL, JAX, NYG, NYJ

TENN (5-2):  IND, BAL, IND, GB,....CLE, JAX, DET, HOU

IND (5-3):  TENN, GB, TENN, LV, PIT,.....HOU, HOU, JAX

LV (5-3):  KC, IND, MIA,....DEN, ATL,  NYJ, LAC, DEN

KC (8-1): LV, TB, MIA, NO,......DEN, ATL, LAC

So what does it all mean?  CLE and IND with three losses and three or more tough games are the least likely to make the playoffs.  PIT, KC, and BAL would seem to be the top three although either PIT or BAL will drop to the fifth seed as a non-division winner..  MIA and BUF will fight it out for the third and fourth seed with TENN.   Either MIA or BUF will be sixth and LV seventh.  My prediction is PIT, KC, BUF, TENN, BAL, MIA, LV.  First round would be KC/LV, BUF/MIA, and TENN/BAL.  Second round KC/BUF and PIT/BAL

Okay, Fire Away!  And I'm sure there are mistakes in here somewhere.

good effort but a tad too early to speculate... I'd agree with your playoff teams at face value but that's assuming the 2nd half goes like the first

anything can happen in half a season

I mean everyone's worried about the chiefs defense... but I watched the undefeated steelers get bitch slapped by a 5th string QB who's been passed around more'n a bong at a grateful dead concert

dallas had that game... and blew it with stupid mistakes and penalties

point being anyone can get beat by anyone on any given day... its the fucking NFL... look at the niners... 9 games ago they were unstoppable (except for one team) and now they're what... 4-5?

with half the season left, sure leaves a lot of room for shit to happen both expected and unexpected

I agree.  A lot can happen in half a season. 

But I think it ends up:

KC

Pitt

Miami (I like their defense and don't trust Josh Allen in bad weather games + what happened to the Buffalo D?)

Tenn

Wildcards

Bal

Buff

LV

Has anyone brought up that the nfl has a backup plan in case games are lost that can't be rescheduled?  The plan is to add a week to the regular schedule, then add a team to the playoffs and no bye.  If there were uneven number of games played, seed teams by win %.  That would suck for the 1 seed.

9 minutes ago, xen said:

I agree.  A lot can happen in half a season. 

But I think it ends up:

KC

Pitt

Miami (I like their defense and don't trust Josh Allen in bad weather games + what happened to the Buffalo D?)

Tenn

Wildcards

Bal

Buff

LV

Has anyone brought up that the nfl has a backup plan in case games are lost that can't be rescheduled?  The plan is to add a week to the regular schedule, then add a team to the playoffs and no bye.  If there were uneven number of games played, seed teams by win %.  That would suck for the 1 seed.

you got KC as top seed?

that's the hard one to predict

Just now, xen said:

I think Pitt is due for some regression.  Lot of smoke and mirrors with that team.  Big Ben's arm ain't what it used to be.

they certainly have a tough schedule... then again so do we with TB looking good... and what got in to NO yesterday? 

Just now, xen said:

I sure hope NO falls apart again.  That was utter destruction of Tompa Bay.  Why couldn't we catch them while they sucked?

right? jezzus we're not only gonna get every team's best effort... we're getting them while they're peaking

19 minutes ago, xen said:

I sure hope NO falls apart again.  That was utter destruction of Tompa Bay.  Why couldn't we catch them while they sucked?

I would rather play when they are playing well. KC needs some challenges prior to the playoffs. Mahomes is BIG in the BIG Games. Chiefs win.

5 hours ago, mex said:

good effort but a tad too early to speculate... I'd agree with your playoff teams at face value but that's assuming the 2nd half goes like the first

anything can happen in half a season

I mean everyone's worried about the chiefs defense... but I watched the undefeated steelers get bitch slapped by a 5th string QB who's been passed around more'n a bong at a grateful dead concert

dallas had that game... and blew it with stupid mistakes and penalties

point being anyone can get beat by anyone on any given day... its the fucking NFL... look at the niners... 9 games ago they were unstoppable (except for one team) and now they're what... 4-5?

with half the season left, sure leaves a lot of room for shit to happen both expected and unexpected

Of course, it's early and any game prediction is speculation.  We do it every year when the schedule comes out, marking off probable wins and tough games.  Some key players will be injured.  Some teams will just have bad days or get the bad calls.  But with two weeks before the next game, it's just a fun exercise to predict and see how close we come.  

From Article AP..I like this summary

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/10/21556788/chiefs-week-9-defensive-film-review-tough-sledding-against-carolina-nfl

The bottom line

This was not a particularly good performance by the Kansas City defense. The Panthers rushing attack — and their short passing game — kept them ahead of the sticks, making life difficult for the Chiefs’ defense. Joe Brady called an amazing game, the Panthers’ receiving corps made some terrific catches, Bridgewater was decisive and accurate — and McCaffrey looked like the player he was before his ankle injury.

And yet... the defense had the opportunity to put this one away. That’s why the game has left a sour taste in our mouths.

The Chiefs are going to get every team’s best shot. They’re the defending champions — and this is the National Football League. But performances like one this raise questions about what could happen when the Chiefs’ defense faces more difficult opponents later in the season.

Over the last three weeks, Spagnuolo and company have definitely handled their business, finishing the job in every game. Against the Panthers, they were on the brink of doing it again — but a poor finish nearly lost the game. Now with a much-needed bye week — which might include the return of Sneed and Alex Okafor — there’s reason to believe that the best is still yet to come for the defense.

That is... if they can finish.

One would imagine that the next time the team takes the field — this time against the Las Vegas Raiders — they’ll be fired up to do just that.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

WOW Pit as an easy 2nd half schedule.  Fukers

Are only hope is that noodle arm chokes mcgee Jackson plays well and gets a W so we get the tie breaker IF we don't get beat again.

Too early to be down to one game or loss. Long ways to go. Both teams could lose several games. Lots of hope left. 

On 11/11/2020 at 5:47 AM, sith13 said:

I trust Wylie, he won't let us down.

Reiter also has earned my trust in that area but Reid seems to like a bit of a challenge on the field.  

Why would you trust Wylie? He's been terrible for 2 straight years. And you also said a week ago that Reiter was clearly a backup player.

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why would you trust Wylie? He's been terrible for 2 straight years. And you also said a week ago that Reiter was clearly a backup player.

These guys are adequate back ups and not terrible. 17-1. They are starting due to injuries and opt outs. Its the NFL. 

back to the thread topic... our schedule just got more difficult over the last few weeks

LV's offensive line is doing great... they've won 3 straight

Miami is on a big roll... 5 straight

TB is looking good... they had zero problems putting Carolina away... 

and NO is killing it... 6 straight

gonna be an interesting 4 week stretch

and fucking pitt looking tough as hell

14 minutes ago, mex said:

back to the thread topic... our schedule just got more difficult over the last few weeks

LV's offensive line is doing great... they've won 3 straight

Miami is on a big roll... 5 straight

TB is looking good... they had zero problems putting Carolina away... 

and NO is killing it... 6 straight

gonna be an interesting 4 week stretch

and fucking pitt looking tough as hell

Will be fun. Great challenge.