Gay is a bust!!

5 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Neimann got less snaps than appearances may suggest, but I definitely didn’t see him out there as often this week. The LBs are all zero impact though. I really hope we can get a stud MLB sometime. Frank Clark sure did little with all his snaps too.

Neiman got 19 snaps on defense, 35% of the total.  You didn't see him out there because he didn't do anything positive.  

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Gay not part of the Bucs game cause we were in nickel and dime for most of the game due to the early lead.  He only gets snaps in base.

Wasn't Gay like ranked the best cover LB in the draft?  Sad

1 minute ago, Balto said:

Wasn't Gay like ranked the best cover LB in the draft?  Sad

Rookie without a bunch of college games played without much of a rookie offseason.  Not really that hard to understand why they don't want to stick him in a complicated defense before he's ready.

46 minutes ago, xen said:

Rookie without a bunch of college games played without much of a rookie offseason.  Not really that hard to understand why they don't want to stick him in a complicated defense before he's ready.

My logical mind completely understands this, but the emotional irrational fan comes out when I watch the guy in front of him, who is supposedly intelligent and knows where to be yada yada, run around looking lost and playing even worse makes it difficult to stomach.   What little i've seen of Gay I think he has a promising future here, can't wait till he an get on the field for a majority of the snaps.

1 hour ago, xen said:

So how better to learn and get ready than to play in garbage time.  The end of the Jets game, for example, would have been logical even if he took a beating.  

The fact he was only trusted with 2 snaps is simply not good. No excuses for that. 2 snaps. So he has earned almost no trust from his coaches at a position that is a need. He may not be a bust but looks like a role player drafted too high. I am usually wrong and hope this is the case once more.

4 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah I don't think Neimann is a better option though.  But whatever. 

I do find it interesting a D2 kid without a rookie offseason can get opportunities though. 

6 hours ago, Palangi said:

Yeah I don't think Neimann is a better option though.  But whatever. 

I do find it interesting a D2 kid without a rookie offseason can get opportunities though. 

Is Spags LB  responsibilities and assignments that complex?   I thought Matt House was suppose to be a great LB coach.   It is curious and I do think the net positive for Gay would be better than whatever we are getting from Niemann.   Even if the other team knows we put in Gay to merely blitz, I think having the superior athlete and better player trumps Niemann knowledge of the system but far inferior ability.  But hey that's why i'm here posting on a site at 2 am lol.  

I don't know what to tell you guys.  Spags said from the start he would play at Sam to start and then eventually learn Will.  Sam comes off the field in nickel and dime.

Yall want him to instantly learn 2 LB positions with no offseason reps and limited college experience in a complicated defense and it's just not that feasible.

I think the problem is more in y'all's expectations than the player.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I don't know what to tell you guys.  Spags said from the start he would play at Sam to start and then eventually learn Will.  Sam comes off the field in nickel and dime.

Yall want him to instantly learn 2 LB positions with no offseason reps and limited college experience in a complicated defense and it's just not that feasible.

Very valid. It will come. He flashes all over the place. He is going to be a good one. DJ is a great example. It took some time.

2 hours ago, xen said:

That makes sense except that when Nieman is so ineffective and none of the other LBs can cover, there's not much to lose by giving Gay reps in the nickel when the Chiefs have a lead as they did in the Jets game.  Unless the guy is just brain dead, he would benefit by getting the experience.  

37 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That makes sense except that when Nieman is so ineffective and none of the other LBs can cover, there's not much to lose by giving Gay reps in the nickel when the Chiefs have a lead as they did in the Jets game.  Unless the guy is just brain dead, he would benefit by getting the experience.  

True dat.  I believe Spags is just trying to be patient with him.  

3 minutes ago, xen said:

I meant being patient with Gay.  He should toss Nieman out of the plane mid-flight

It's not our call, so this is probably meaningless, but patience isn't sitting him on the bench for 2/3 of the snaps.  Patience is allowing him to make mistakes and teaching how to do it better without destroying his confidence.  A second round pick in a position of need has to play and gain experience in garbage time.  Sneed started early because the teams needed CBs at the time.  Wharton started because there was a hole to fill.  Gay would be filling a big hole. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

It's not our call, so this is probably meaningless, but patience isn't sitting him on the bench for 2/3 of the snaps.  Patience is allowing him to make mistakes and teaching how to do it better without destroying his confidence.  A second round pick in a position of need has to play and gain experience in garbage time.  Sneed started early because the teams needed CBs at the time.  Wharton started because there was a hole to fill.  Gay would be filling a big hole. 

Couldn’t agree more. One week it’s 40% snaps, one week it’s two plays. Wtf 

• 3 weeks later...

Its probably time to acknowledge that this guy either isn't grasping the playbook, is missing a ton of assignments in practice, or both. He flashes every time he is on the field and the guys playing the nickel LB role in front of him arent on the same planet as him as far as ability goes. So at this point Gay is still a huge question mark. That sucks.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:42 PM, jetlord said:

Ha, ha!  You said Gay would be filling a big hole. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

Chiefs are 13-1. I can speculate all day long about whom should be seeing snaps and why some potentially “inferior” talent is on the field in lieu of others, but I won’t. I’m a fan and am damn happy my team pulled off yet another victory on the road against an elite  NFC squad. I am happy today. 

Edit: this post wasn’t directed at you, Jet. Only the Gay/hole part...

58 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Its probably time to acknowledge that this guy either isn't grasping the playbook, is missing a ton of assignments in practice, or both. He flashes every time he is on the field and the guys playing the nickel LB role in front of him arent on the same planet as him as far as ability goes. So at this point Gay is still a huge question mark. That sucks.

It does suck because Niemann is so darn terrible.  How can other players, coaches, his own freaking family not watch game film and see how utterly terrible he is.   Where is Frank Clark and HB telling Spags......."Look bro, we can cover Gay's mistakes but he will flash enough to make up for at least a few...........we are playing a man down with Niemann."   

On 11/30/2020 at 11:40 AM, West said:

Gaye will be fine....

You know what it takes for a rookie to jump into Reid's or Spags' lineup?

Great Athleticism and Intelligence.....

Gaye has one piece and it takes time for the other unless you have a serious co-processor like Mahomes or Helare.....

w

He is a kid who did not even have a real camp or pre-season games.  He is as raw as hell.  OTA's, training camp, and pre-season games next season will put him in as a solid starter.  The complaints are ridiculous.  It's like giving up on a 5th grader for not knowing his calculus.

I don't get the Gay inaction either. Every time he goes in it seems he busts through a hole and delivers the wood. The argument he didn't have a camp and is still learning doesn't jive because they are letting Sneed play and he is balling and picked two rounds later.  I don't get it... its the same blindness they have with the shitty oline they keep throwing out there in the name of continuity. 

8 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He is a kid who did not even have a real camp or pre-season games.  He is as raw as hell.  OTA's, training camp, and pre-season games next season will put him in as a solid starter.  The complaints are ridiculous.  It's like giving up on a 5th grader for not knowing his calculus.

No one is giving up on him. Its just confusing. We would have thought 14 weeks in he would be a bigger part of the defense. Sneed was raw too, and that kid is a straight baller.