Compensatory picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30292901/nfl-owners-approve-playoff-diversity-measures

• Expanding to a 16-team playoff (from 14) this season if future games are lost because of the coronavirus pandemic. If that happens, there will not be a re-seeding for the playoffs. The vote was unanimous.

• Incentives to reward teams with draft pick compensation (two third-round picks) if they develop coaches and executives of color.

In the short term it benefits us but I think it's still stupid. NFL owners and coaches only focus on success which brings them more money and I doubt they look at skin color to avoid making money in a sports that already pays more in total to minorities than it does to white people. The idea of compensation for developed coaches makes sense IMO but doing that only for minorities is racist in itself. 

2 hours ago, xen said:

So if Poles gets hired in 2022 as a GM does that give us 4 picks over 3 years instead of 3 over 3 years if he gets hired this offseason?

My assumption was we'd get a 3rd in 2021, 2 - 3rds in 2022, and 1 3rd in 2023.  Could be huge for us if we are serious about this dynasty talk.   This year alone we would have 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, etc.   Veach does pretty well with 3-5 rounders and considering we have a lot of players leaving this offseason it would be great to restock the cupboard quickly and no better way to do that than draft picks.   That extra third could allow Veach to grab a WR and LB with the first two picks and still get some valuable OL help in the 3rd.  Lots of options.   Would be extra nice in 2022 if Poles lands somewhere.   We would have potentially 5 picks in the top 100.   Back to back years of restocking quickly.   If we have a down year it will be next year and I don't foresee it being much of a down year.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

My assumption was we'd get a 3rd in 2021, 2 - 3rds in 2022, and 1 3rd in 2023.  Could be huge for us if we are serious about this dynasty talk.   This year alone we would have 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, etc.   Veach does pretty well with 3-5 rounders and considering we have a lot of players leaving this offseason it would be great to restock the cupboard quickly and no better way to do that than draft picks.   That extra third could allow Veach to grab a WR and LB with the first two picks and still get some valuable OL help in the 3rd.  Lots of options.   Would be extra nice in 2022 if Poles lands somewhere.   We would have potentially 5 picks in the top 100.   Back to back years of restocking quickly.   If we have a down year it will be next year and I don't foresee it being much of a down year.

Don't forget that Comp picks can be traded now.  This would give Veach some great fire power to move up or down.

11 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

What brought us an extra fourth and fifth?

On 11/11/2020 at 2:30 AM, sith13 said:

In the short term it benefits us but I think it's still stupid. NFL owners and coaches only focus on success which brings them more money and I doubt they look at skin color to avoid making money in a sports that already pays more in total to minorities than it does to white people. The idea of compensation for developed coaches makes sense IMO but doing that only for minorities is racist in itself. 

I titally agree. Besides, the coach has to wonder every time he sets foot in the building, "Did they hire me for me or the draft picks?"

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

I titally agree. Besides, the coach has to wonder every time he sets foot in the building, "Did they hire me for me or the draft picks?"

the hiring team does not get draft picks.  Thats what the coaches objected to in the earlier proposal for exactly that reason.  Only the developing team gets picks now.  Titally!

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Don't forget that Comp picks can be traded now.  This would give Veach some great fire power to move up or down.

Veach moves around the draft so much that he'd be like a kid in a candy shop with all those tradable picks.  Since the Chiefs hopefully draft so late in each round, he'll have the ability to get picks in the forties or fifties.  Should be good for stocking up O-line or Ward's replacement.  Maybe an effective 2nd TE.  Interesting possibilities. 

On 11/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, jetlord said:

Veach moves around the draft so much that he'd be like a kid in a candy shop with all those tradable picks.  Since the Chiefs hopefully draft so late in each round, he'll have the ability to get picks in the forties or fifties.  Should be good for stocking up O-line or Ward's replacement.  Maybe an effective 2nd TE.  Interesting possibilities. 

Doubt Ward is going anywhere. Breeland maybe?