Baker at CB?

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well yes, but we also have pretty damn good leadership too in both sides of the ball.

Can leadership keep a thug from taking a gun to a dice game and using it to rob the players?  If Baker skated on a technicality, will he really reform or listen to teammates? 

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Can leadership keep a thug from taking a gun to a dice game and using it to rob the players?  If Baker skated on a technicality, will he really reform or listen to teammates? 

Well we have taken on guys that did some bad things and we have made it work. Reid seems to like these guys now and then.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Well Ray Lewis killed a couple of guys and got away with it and had a hall of fame career.....Baker can't be that bad

45 minutes ago, Balto said:

Well Ray Lewis killed a couple of guys and got away with it and had a hall of fame career.....Baker can't be that bad

Allegedly Balto...allegedly. 

As far as Baker is concerned I'd bring him in immediately. We have strong veteran leadership in our coaching staff and players. Reid took a chance on Vick after the dude went to prison. And had him playing at damn near an MVP level for a bit. 

To be clear, I dont condone his behavior. But being a recovering alcoholic and addict I do believe in second chances. In meetings I've seen many many people over the years that have completely changed their lives. So yes, people can change. 

This kid was arguable the most talented CB in that class. Let's make a success story out of him. 

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Allegedly Balto...allegedly. 

As far as Baker is concerned I'd bring him in immediately. We have strong veteran leadership in our coaching staff and players. Reid took a chance on Vick after the dude went to prison. And had him playing at damn near an MVP level for a bit. 

To be clear, I dont condone his behavior. But being a recovering alcoholic and addict I do believe in second chances. In meetings I've seen many many people over the years that have completely changed their lives. So yes, people can change. 

This kid was arguable the most talented CB in that class. Let's make a success story out of him. 

Well I know this:

If we don't bring him in....Someone will. 

Schwartz, the NY Post writer, was on the radio tonight and stated that if Baker had shown a better attitude, the Giants would have cut him more slack.  Schwartz claimed that Baker wasn't a hard worker or good at learning the playbook and often got out of position on the field.  Sour grapes?  Maybe, but he sounded convincing.  The question is whether Baker has be jolted back into a willingness to work for the big bucks he could make as a #1 CB.  Reid does have a good history and the Chiefs do have leadership in the LR.  If the Chiefs sign him, he probably won't be playing much of a role for a while beyond backup behind Breeland, Sneed, and Ward.  They just can't risk much on him.. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Schwartz, the NY Post writer, was on the radio tonight and stated that if Baker had shown a better attitude, the Giants would have cut him more slack.  Schwartz claimed that Baker wasn't a hard worker or good at learning the playbook and often got out of position on the field.  Sour grapes?  Maybe, but he sounded convincing.  The question is whether Baker has be jolted back into a willingness to work for the big bucks he could make as a #1 CB.  Reid does have a good history and the Chiefs do have leadership in the LR.  If the Chiefs sign him, he probably won't be playing much of a role for a while beyond backup behind Breeland, Sneed, and Ward.  They just can't risk much on him.. 

as long as he is up to speed before the playoffs, gotta prove himself AND learn the playbook

3 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

From the article. Questionable skills?

Meanwhile, Baker is more of a press-man guy who isn’t great in zone. Playing that role hasn’t been his forte throughout his collegiate and professional career. Baker could definitely play on the outside — where he’s most comfortable — as a press-man cornerback with ball skills. However, that’s where the Chiefs have gone to longer, faster players such as L’Jarius Sneed and BoPete Keyes).

Defensive back and cornerbacks coach Sam Madison and Spagnuolo have both gushed about needing that. Baker would break against that, and he hasn’t been particularly successful there. In his rookie season in 2019, Baker allowed 54 completions on 88 targets (61.4%) for 850 yards and six touchdowns. By comparison, Charvarius Ward and Bashaud Breeland allowed a combined 72 catches on 151 targets (47.6%) for 1,118 yards and six touchdowns that same year.