Baker at CB?

New York Post's Paul Schwartz reports free agent CB DeAndre Baker is visiting the Chiefs on Wednesday.

Baker's charges were dropped after an attorney was arrested on extortion charges in his odd case. The charges being dropped against Baker is enough for him to test the free agency waters. Baker was one of the worst-graded corners before being released by the Giants and can still be suspended by the NFL pending further investigation, so it's unclear what the former first-round pick's chances are of actually playing games in 2020 and beyond.

Chiefs signed DeAndre Baker to the practice squad.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports this will confirmed in the coming days pending a last-minute snag. There's limited risk on the Chiefs end to bring him on to the practice squad, but Baker has to prove he's capable of handling himself off the field before being an actual contributor for the Chiefs down the stretch. Kansas City would be one of the best culture fits for a player like Baker who has a lengthy off-field history.

RELATED: 

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Another high reward low risk signing. He's signed to the practice squad....not being thrown in as an emergency starter this Sunday. Personally, I'm way more excited about Sneed and his pending return.

I hope it's not a fluke but Sneed has been a great surprise so far. Definitely one of those guys that would get late 1st or at worst a 2nd round projection in a re-draft. 

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

From NFL on Deandre Baker: “We have been monitoring all developments in the matter which remains under review of the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy.

Baker remains subject to discipline based on results of that investigation."

That is the NFL's fucked up style, try to punish a player after all the charges were dropped, goddell sucks

8 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Amazing how much attraction we now have as SB Champs with Reid and Mahomes running the show.  This guy would have ran to any other team besides us just a few short years ago. Damn it's good to be king for a change. 

no doubt, these guys used to always end up with the Pats when they were the kings. i like being in this position

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

That is the NFL's fucked up style, try to punish a player after all the charges were dropped, goddell sucks

It would be typical for the NFL to wait until Baker proves himself and signs a deal with the Chiefs for next year and then suspend him for the first part of the season. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

It would be typical for the NFL to wait until Baker proves himself and signs a deal with the Chiefs for next year and then suspend him for the first part of the season. 

It seems to me that a suspension should not happen for any reason.  The charges were dropped by the DA because of attempted extortion.  If there is a suspension, I would think that Baker would have a hell of a case against Goodell.

NFL can punish a player due to its own rules but that won't really be a case if there are no charges against him. If it was something like weed possession, etc which is legal in some states but forbidden by the NFL we would see some punishment but in Baker's case it should be a non-investigation by the NFL.

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I hope KC gives him at least two years. Otherwise I dont see this as anything special.

If you are referring to the initial deal I'm not sure how it turns out as he was on a rookie deal which we may be taking over if he was waived. Otherwise I would imagine a 1-year deal to prove his worth if he wants to stick around. 

1 minute ago, sith13 said:

If you are referring to the initial deal I'm not sure how it turns out as he was on a rookie deal which we may be taking over if he was waived. Otherwise I would imagine a 1-year deal to prove his worth if he wants to stick around. 

I think he was a free agent. A one year, 7 game plus playoff deal , does nothing for KC. He likely plays very little. If he does play , unlikely, & plays well he is a free agent next season. A two year deal makes more sense for KC. 

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I think he was a free agent. A one year, 7 game plus playoff deal , does nothing for KC. He likely plays very little. If he does play , unlikely, & plays well he is a free agent next season. A two year deal makes more sense for KC. 

If he plays just a little and they like him he could come back on a cheap deal. Otherwise a multi-year deal needs two parties to be on board. Not sure if Baker is looking for a cheap deal if he performs. 

11 minutes ago, sith13 said:

If he plays just a little and they like him he could come back on a cheap deal. Otherwise a multi-year deal needs two parties to be on board. Not sure if Baker is looking for a cheap deal if he performs. 

Thats my point. It gives him all the leverage. So a half season contract for KC is not a great get. Hes not a proven starter yet. Sure there is no downside but I dont see any immediate benefit. He could be thrilled to sign at least two years or KC gets an option for year two. A 7 game plus playoffs deal will likely prove nothing.

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Thats my point. It gives him all the leverage. So a half season contract for KC is not a great get. Hes not a proven starter yet. Sure there is no downside but I dont see any immediate benefit. He could be thrilled to sign at least two years or KC gets an option for year two. A 7 game plus playoffs deal will likely prove nothing.

It's all up to how Spags and Veach value him really. The only immediate benefit is adding a decent college prospect to the roster but there's also the fact that he seems to have been disappointing as a rookie according to the news (never watched him though).