Baker at CB?

12 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

All of a sudden we have a very decent secondary. Now we need Gay to turn it up and start to take over our LB situation. 
KC will hopefully have studs at all three levels of the defense. Perfect. 

Not all of a sudden. We’ve had one.

• 2 weeks later...

From AP.

At this point, it’s anyone’s guess as to how well Baker might live up to his first-round billing, but he looked much better in his final few games as a rookie starter for the Giants in 2019. And the Chiefs will have at least a few games to see how he looks in red and gold.

Moving forward, unless there’s some COVID-year loophole here at work, Baker is an exclusive-rights free agent (ERFA), which means if the Chiefs offer him a contract, he must play under it. That’s true of any single player who doesn’t have three accrued seasons of NFL service. What’s interesting here is that the Chiefs have kept Baker on the practice squad long enough to keep this year from counting, because one accrued season equals six games. For Baker, the most he can play in 2020 is now five games. That means the Chiefs have two more full years with Baker under their complete control at likely a league minimum cost.

Even after his ERFA status is up, the Chiefs will still have the rights to Baker as a restricted free agent entering the 2023 season. In short, the Chiefs have a first round pick at the cost of a rookie free agent yet control him all the same as if they drafted him in the first place. If Baker plays remotely like a first round pick, this is a ridiculous gift for the Chiefs.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

So if he bounces back we have him for 2 full seasons for peanuts as well as whatever we use him for in 2020. Nice deal.

That's a big "if".  Baker has been out so long that I'd expect nothing this year, even in the playoffs.  Baker at his full potential next season along with Sneed and Fenton could make a good starting unit.  Don't expect to see Breeland back,  He'll get some good offers in FA.  Ward just isn't getting it done.  A good showing by Baker could give the Chiefs above average CB play at all rookie cost. 

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That's a big "if".  Baker has been out so long that I'd expect nothing this year, even in the playoffs.  Baker at his full potential next season along with Sneed and Fenton could make a good starting unit.  Don't expect to see Breeland back,  He'll get some good offers in FA.  Ward just isn't getting it done.  A good showing by Baker could give the Chiefs above average CB play at all rookie cost. 

I'm not optimistic about Ward either. We'll probably need to add another CB to the mix, if not two to be safe. Baker needs to show some things this year, otherwise I can see him released in the offseason. Low-cost attempt at finding a decent youngster.

56 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I'm not optimistic about Ward either. We'll probably need to add another CB to the mix, if not two to be safe. Baker needs to show some things this year, otherwise I can see him released in the offseason. Low-cost attempt at finding a decent youngster.

? Really? The guy is just coming into Spags system and will need this time to get into game play health and learn too. We have him to show this year what he can do with his potential while learning and then 2 more years after. Even if he does not show much he still will be added depth and ST for almost nothing in salary. No matter what it is a good deal.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

? Really? The guy is just coming into Spags system and will need this time to get into game play health and learn too. We have him to show this year what he can do with his potential while learning and then 2 more years after. Even if he does not show much he still will be added depth and ST for almost nothing in salary. No matter what it is a good deal.

Yeah unless he's a knucklehead I don't see us giving up on him quickly.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

It's a great deal. Even in the worst case we don't lose anything, not even sure if he makes the top 51 cutoff. However unless he shows something as early as this year we'll likely have to add another CB to the mix for 2021 simply due to lack of proven players in the position. Fenton and Sneed are solid so far and we don't really have another option yet assuming Breeland leaves. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

It's a great deal. Even in the worst case we don't lose anything, not even sure if he makes the top 51 cutoff. However unless he shows something as early as this year we'll likely have to add another CB to the mix for 2021 simply due to lack of proven players in the position. Fenton and Sneed are solid so far and we don't really have another option yet assuming Breeland leaves. 

Ward is still in the mix next year too. He is a RFA.

Sneed, Fenton, Baker, & Keyes will all definitely be here next year.   Ward could be back i think on a 3m dollar deal since he is a RFA if we want him and at that price I think you bring him back if nothing else for depth.  Hoping Breeland balls out to end the season and gets himself a fat contract.   We should keep drafting a DB in the mid to late rounds to develop though.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We get a first round draft choice for peanuts.  He will be at least "good :after he learns Spags system.  Potential to be top 15 at some point.  Veach is the best GM the Chiefs have ever had. It also helps to have a world champion team that everyone wants to play for.

Welcome back to WCCTO Bil..pull up a chair and stay awhile

I hope you and yours are well

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We get a first round draft choice for peanuts.  He will be at least "good :after he learns Spags system.  Potential to be top 15 at some point.  Veach is the best GM the Chiefs have ever had. It also helps to have a world champion team that everyone wants to play for.

Yeah, the only reason Baker is here is because he want to play for a winner and he wants to play for Reid.  Absolutely no risk for the Chiefs and tons of upside,  Still don't expect to see him off the practice squad all this season. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, the only reason Baker is here is because he want to play for a winner and he wants to play for Reid.  Absolutely no risk for the Chiefs and tons of upside,  Still don't expect to see him off the practice squad all this season. 

I’d like to see him a little to know what we have going into next year but like other said we got a first round talent for nothing.  Helps being the best.  Crazy to think the Pats enjoyed this for the better part of two decades and realizing how hard it is to catch breaks when you are bad.

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I think he will play some. Just waiting to get him in shape. Should be some garbage time opportunities coming up.

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Ward is still in the mix next year too. He is a RFA.

I hope he gets back to his 2019 form. So far he has been a liability this year and I had high hopes for him. If he bounces back that's great, otherwise he'll be an issue IMO.

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

I hope he gets back to his 2019 form. So far he has been a liability this year and I had high hopes for him. If he bounces back that's great, otherwise he'll be an issue IMO.

Broken hand, poor pass rush and maybe a short slump. He usually gets the # receiver. I think he is a keeper. If he was playing lights out it would be tough to resign him. 10-1 is great. Ward: Performance A blessing in disguise.

34 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Broken hand, poor pass rush and maybe a short slump. He usually gets the # receiver. I think he is a keeper. If he was playing lights out it would be tough to resign him. 10-1 is great. Ward: Performance A blessing in disguise.

I think it is very hard to judge any player, or any of us for that matter, during this very weird and disturbing year.  These guys have been especially isolated.  If someone has played well in the past and not this year, it would seem to be really wise to see how they do next season before making any major decisions.  I am amazed there has been any season at all.  We owe them a lot for helping us keep our sanity.

"Help is on the way." 😁

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think it is very hard to judge any player, or any of us for that matter, during this very weird and disturbing year.  These guys have been especially isolated.  If someone has played well in the past and not this year, it would seem to be really wise to see how they do next season before making any major decisions.  I am amazed there has been any season at all.  We owe them a lot for helping us keep our sanity.

"Help is on the way." 😁

Keeping Ward would make sense assuming Breeland is gone and if the cap wasn't being lowered.  (Last I read was $176.1 million)  Sneed, Fenton, and Baker would all be cheaper than Ward and all have potential starting ability.  If Ward was playing light out, then restructure to make him fit in, but he's not.  The Chiefs have higher priorities for next season in positions of greater need.  If Baker doesn't work out, then absolutely, go after Ward or even Breeland.   I the Chiefs have two thirds and two fourths in next spring's draft, they should pick up another CB to supplement Keyes as back up.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Keeping Ward would make sense assuming Breeland is gone and if the cap wasn't being lowered.  (Last I read was $176.1 million)  Sneed, Fenton, and Baker would all be cheaper than Ward and all have potential starting ability.  If Ward was playing light out, then restructure to make him fit in, but he's not.  The Chiefs have higher priorities for next season in positions of greater need.  If Baker doesn't work out, then absolutely, go after Ward or even Breeland.   I the Chiefs have two thirds and two fourths in next spring's draft, they should pick up another CB to supplement Keyes as back up.  

Wards not under contract so no restructure necessary.  RFA so salary based on the tender we offer.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Wards not under contract so no restructure necessary.  RFA so salary based on the tender we offer.

I was referring to restructuring others' contracts to make room for Ward's.  Sorry my post wasn't clear.  Veach seems to be very good at making things fit although I worry about kicking too many cans down the road. 

Just now, jetlord said:

I was referring to restructuring others' contracts to make room for Ward's.  Sorry my post wasn't clear.  Veach seems to be very good at making things fit although I worry about kicking too many cans down the road. 

Gotcha.  I think they'll find a way to hang on to Ward.

Personally I'm not judging him too harshly for a few reasons

1 CB play is always volatile year to year league wide

2 fucked up offseason for a 2nd year full time starter

3 his game is being physical, and you can't convince me the broken hand is not fucking with his play.