Oline the rest of the season

Move Allegretti to center 

Kick Remmers to RG

Rankins to LG

Let Durant show he can play RT

I worry with the back injury that Schwartz calls it a career. And moving on from Fisher and his contact should be a given next offseason.  Let Niang take over at LT. 

LT- Fisher

LG- Rankins

C- Allegretti

RG- Remmers

RT- Durant

Next year

LT- Niang

LG- Rankins

C- Allegretti

RG- 2nd round draft pick

RT- Durant

I think I prefer Kilgore at center for now, but I can see why you guys want the young dudes in there, I don't blame you. Someone mentioned in another thread that average to below average O linemen seem to be the Chiefs all-world O linemen. It does seem that way at times, but Reid seems to work it out.

I don't think the O line has been all that great since he's coached here, but pretty solid when they needed to be. Hopefully that trend continues, with them getting even better of course (wishful thinking).

Isn't Niang's experience on the right side?  Seems like that was the talk after the draft.  After missing this season, it's hard to project him as a starting OT, but supposedly, he was a first round talent with an injury.   I think the Chiefs have to draft a OT and OC in the next draft, hopefully on the second day with having an extra third.  We can assume Reid will go offense in the first round.  That how he rolls. 

18 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Isn't Niang's experience on the right side?  Seems like that was the talk after the draft.  After missing this season, it's hard to project him as a starting OT, but supposedly, he was a first round talent with an injury.   I think the Chiefs have to draft a OT and OC in the next draft, hopefully on the second day with having an extra third.  We can assume Reid will go offense in the first round.  That how he rolls. 

Lets see. The guy probably got his bonus and 300K from his opt put. Thats a lot of money for a young guy. Is that why it was easy for him to give up a year of learning on a Superbowl Team? I would not count on this guy. He may not be a team oriented individual. He lost a critical year. No real reason for him to have opted out?

26 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Lets see. The guy probably got his bonus and 300K from his opt put. Thats a lot of money for a young guy. Is that why it was easy for him to give up a year of learning on a Superbowl Team? I would not count on this guy. He may not be a team oriented individual. He lost a critical year. No real reason for him to have opted out?

Or he gets healthy for the year. Learns the playbook and gets even stronger.  Then to top it all, the year does not count towards his contract so we get him back for another year since he missed this one. I rather him opt out and get healthy than rather sit in a shortened season of no training camp etc and not play any ways.

10 hours ago, qnet said:

I think I prefer Kilgore at center for now, but I can see why you guys want the young dudes in there, I don't blame you. Someone mentioned in another thread that average to below average O linemen seem to be the Chiefs all-world O linemen. It does seem that way at times, but Reid seems to work it out.

I don't think the O line has been all that great since he's coached here, but pretty solid when they needed to be. Hopefully that trend continues, with them getting even better of course (wishful thinking).

We haven’t spent much of anything on these o lineman, but I don’t think Heck has developed much of anyone below the third round.  LDT is the only one and he has never really developed imo.   Gotta spend some draft capital and get some talent for him to work with if he can’t develop these guys.  

8 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Or he gets healthy fie the year. Learns the playbook and gets even stronger.  Then to top it all the year does not count towards his contract so we get him back for another year since he missed this one. I rather him opt out and get healthy than rather sit in a shortened season of no training camp etc and not play any ways.

I agree.  Getting that extra year is going to be really beneficial for us.  Dude is super talented and even if he can’t hack it at RT/LT he can slide inside.   Hope we spend two picks in the first three rounds on Oline.   

Next year I can see something like

Draft pick - Rankin - Allegretti  - Niang - Schwartz

I think Allegretti can be an upgrade to Reiter. He is much stronger and more physical. His pass blocking isn't tremendous but in that box between the guards I think he will improve. 

Schwartz will be on the last year of his contract, and Niang can kick out to RT in 2022. Veach was talking about Niang playing guard this year, so no reason to think that can't happen next year.

Biggest issue is Fisher. He can't be restructured as he already has been once. And you don't have many opportunities to free up 11 mill in cap room by releasing 1 player. I can see us drafting OT rd 1. A guy like Cosmi from Texas or Radunz from NDS. 

Thats a solid line. Best we'd have in years on paper. Hopefully it would translate well to the field. 

I don't see Fisher leaving in favor of a rookie. We don't know who'll be available in late 1st so we'll likely keep Fisher for the last year of his contract. I was expecting Niang to start for us in 2021 at OT but not sure how that will turn out after missing a year, but he sure would be a rookie if he starts as this season doesn't count for eligibility. 

Dradt O line in the first or 2nd round. Move Niang accordingly as if we go LT then he can play guard or vice versa. LB too needs a good player or 2 drafted but one preferable in the 1st or 2nd if there. Then go BPA.

I hope we pick up Baker because it will not only solidify the spot but make it very young for CB. Then look at more line depth, lb and try and find a good 2nd TE. Also look at WR because we will need the year to get them up to speed in this system.

I don't see how the Chiefs can keep Fisher.  The cap will be at $175,000,000 and that means the team is going to lose some players.  Maybe enough other teams will have the same problem, so the FA market won't be so expensive, but the Chiefs just have no room to work with.  It's possible to draft O-line starters on the second day but this next draft isn't especially strong at those positions.  They definitely need to address OC.  Reiter isn't doing it.  My concern about Allegretti is that he hasn't shown he can play center.  If he could, they certainly would have used him there instead of Reiter or Kilgore.  If Schwartz has back issues, he may not be useful much longer.  The line needs a complete makeover. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

I don't see how the Chiefs can keep Fisher.  The cap will be at $175,000,000 and that means the team is going to lose some players.  Maybe enough other teams will have the same problem, so the FA market won't be so expensive, but the Chiefs just have no room to work with.  It's possible to draft O-line starters on the second day but this next draft isn't especially strong at those positions.  They definitely need to address OC.  Reiter isn't doing it.  My concern about Allegretti is that he hasn't shown he can play center.  If he could, they certainly would have used him there instead of Reiter or Kilgore.  If Schwartz has back issues, he may not be useful much longer.  The line needs a complete makeover. 

Wait and see. I doubt the cap will go down that much if at all. Maybe kilgore can play center and not guard so they went with the best line keeping him at center and Allegretti at G? Next year niang takes LT, we get a LG via draft and Allegretti can play center. To many unknown variables here to play with.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

I don't think you can use the assumption with Allegretti. 

The Kilgore at guard thing was brought up already. 

But coaches don't always make the right decisions. Why wasn't Allegretti put in right away at LG when Osemele went down.  He had it performed Remmers as the LG. Yet the coaches thought Remmers was the better option.  Whose to say the same mistake isn't being used at center? When Rankins comes back he goes to LG and Allegretti to center.  We know Reiter is terrible and Kilgore is average at best. 

31 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Wait and see. I doubt the cap will go down that much if at all. Maybe kilgore can play center and not guard so they went with the best line keeping him at center and Allegretti at G? Next year niang takes LT, we get a LG via draft and Allegretti can play center. To many unknown variables here to play with.

Exactly. And I dont know why anyone would Crown Niang as anything more than a draft pick. Completely unknown. He may be another complete miss. 

58 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The unknown is Niang ability to play LT. He spent his time on the right side. Ideal move to LT would be Rankins...he was an LT for Houston before they traded for Tunsil. If KO's knees are healthy enough, I'd resign him. If not, keep Allegretti at LG.

54 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

The unknown is Niang ability to play LT. He spent his time on the right side. Ideal move to LT would be Rankins...he was an LT for Houston before they traded for Tunsil. If KO's knees are healthy enough, I'd resign him. If not, keep Allegretti at LG.

KO's knees could be a big risk.  Can't pay him much.  I agree that Niang has a lot to prove before anyone assumes he can start at OT.  Supposedly he has the talent, but opting out is a real setback.  

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

I don't see Fisher leaving in favor of a rookie. We don't know who'll be available in late 1st so we'll likely keep Fisher for the last year of his contract. I was expecting Niang to start for us in 2021 at OT but not sure how that will turn out after missing a year, but he sure would be a rookie if he starts as this season doesn't count for eligibility. 

I think it would be a stretch under normal circumstances. But like I said, he can't be restructured, and the cap could drop. Not to mention we are up against it anyway. This team has shown they are willing to play youngsters early, so who knows.

5 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

So Jedrick Willis was aRT for Alabama,  yet is the starting LT for Cleveland. 

Niang was a big time pass blocker in college.  Chase young said he was the toughest tackle he went against.  

In the notes Paterson (college coach)  says he could easily play LT. Also talks about how he didn't give up a sack in college

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1018303&DraftYear=2020

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Was that announced or just an estimation?

I don’t mind keeping Niang at RT.  He was a stud there in college and finding a good potential RT in the third is still a great find.   We could move on from Schwartz if necessary and save 8-9 million.  Not as much as Fisher but still a good savings.   

I do agree that I don’t think the cap will drop that much.  Could see it stay the same and then be capped for 3-4 years.

56 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I don’t mind keeping Niang at RT.  He was a stud there in college and finding a good potential RT in the third is still a great find.   We could move on from Schwartz if necessary and save 8-9 million.  Not as much as Fisher but still a good savings.   

I do agree that I don’t think the cap will drop that much.  Could see it stay the same and then be capped for 3-4 years.

Didn't we just guarantee Schwartz's contract before the season? 

Regardless HB won't be playing with a cap of $20 million next year. He'll likely get 4-5 at most in a new deal which already saves our cap situation. Also I don't see LDT coming back to the NFL which will be another cap boost. However if we are getting rid of one OT Fisher is the smart choice, may be a trade who knows but Schwartz is better at what he does than Fisher assuming we have the guy to take over. 

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

Was that announced or just an estimation?

It's a number that's been thrown around in the media for the past 4-5 months.  Not even as estimation, I suppose, but one that has some validity since it's so commonly used.  Seems to be based on revenues without fans in the seats and I don't see the rules changing to allow full stadia in the near future. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's a number that's been thrown around in the media for the past 4-5 months.  Not even as estimation, I suppose, but one that has some validity since it's so commonly used.  Seems to be based on revenues without fans in the seats and I don't see the rules changing to allow full stadia in the near future. 

Glad it's not set yet. I'm still optimistic that the owners will just take the punch and at least keep the cap the same. $175M would really screw us though, we don't have that much of a cap flexibility.