Oline the rest of the season

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Glad it's not set yet. I'm still optimistic that the owners will just take the punch and at least keep the cap the same. $175M would really screw us though, we don't have that much of a cap flexibility. 

Well, the owners could take the hit or spread out the losses over several years, but why would they.  There's enough that aren't against the cap to want to lower it.  Why would they want to give the higher cap teams a break?  Why would other owners want to give KC cap relief next year? 

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Well, the owners could take the hit or spread out the losses over several years, but why would they.  There's enough that aren't against the cap to want to lower it.  Why would they want to give the higher cap teams a break?  Why would other owners want to give KC cap relief next year? 

There will be 11 teams over the cap with the Packers being a close 12th. The teams that suck will have cap space but do you think the NFL will want to screw almost 38% and some being their darling teams? I doubt it. Even putting the cap at 190 million will out 6 teams over but the chiefs will be just at almost 4 million over is all. Very doable to get the 4 million back in extending say HB.

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-2021-salary-cap-space/

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

There will be 11 teams over the cap with the Packers being a close 12th. The teams that suck will have cap space but do you think the NFL will want to screw almost 38% and some being their darling teams? I doubt it. Even putting the cap at 190 million will out 6 teams over but the chiefs will be just at almost 4 million over is all. Very doable to get the 4 million back in extending say HB.

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-2021-salary-cap-space/

Those numbers don't include players becoming FA at the end of the season.  For example, Watkins, Sorenson, Ward, Breeland, and several others will have to be resigned or replaced.  It's more than just making up a $4 million deficit, is putting a full team on the field.  That's why Fisher being released is a real possibility.

36 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I doubt anyone would want to give us some cap relief but multiple teams would be benefitting from the cap remaining the same or the loss spread over. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL finds some middle ground but in any case we'll need to create some cap relief. 

54 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Those numbers don't include players becoming FA at the end of the season.  For example, Watkins, Sorenson, Ward, Breeland, and several others will have to be resigned or replaced.  It's more than just making up a $4 million deficit, is putting a full team on the field.  That's why Fisher being released is a real possibility.

Sorensen may sign for a nice deal. Watkins is gone. Ward is a RFA that we will tender. We can make up 4 million easily. Just look what Veach did this year with 133 dollars.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Sorensen may sign for a nice deal. Watkins is gone. Ward is a RFA that we will tender. We can make up 4 million easily. Just look what Veach did this year with 133 dollars.

In general: Teams may not have much money to sign free agents next year and maybe some of those Chiefs will stay as a result. 

15 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Even the types of deals you used as examples adds to the Chiefs cap deficit if the cap is $175 million.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Even the types of deals you used as examples adds to the Chiefs cap deficit if the cap is $175 million.

You are stuck on 175 million. Cant help you with that. Again, Veach has performed magic in doing the cap. Even if 175 he will make it work and then just imagine what he can do the next year when it explodes back up. We are fine.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

You are stuck on 175 million. Cant help you with that. Again, Veach has performed magic in doing the cap. Even if 175 he will make it work and then just imagine what he can do the next year when it explodes back up. We are fine.

Agree that Veach will make it work somehow, but making it work will include losing some players.  The trick is replacing them with a great draft and one year prove it deals with players wanting to boost their careers or chase a ring.  The $175 million may come out $190 million or even higher, but the Chiefs still have cap issues.  They can kick the can down the road for a while, but money promised will eventually have to be paid depending on the contract wording.  

Not sure what it is worth as these things aren't set in stone but here's the updated depth chart by the Chiefs: 

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-updated-depth-chart-week-11/

Kilgore seems to have taken over at OC. Would love to see Wylie out at RG but at least the weakest link is relegated to a backup. Obviously this doesn't mean Reiter won't start.

I look for the NFL and the NFLPA to find middle ground.  This will screw over a lot of players for a single season pandemic if they don't as a lot of players will get cut with little to no chance at resigning for a comparable salary.   My guess is close to 200 with that being locked in for 2021 and 2022 which won't really help us as we need the cap to grow to start making some of our older more expensive contract to become more manageable.  Regardless there will be a lot of league minimum deals this off season and while Veach worked magic this year he also didn't have to fill 15 vacant spots on the roster.   Next year will be a challenge to field good depth.  We have 36 guys on contract and we are over 19 million if you view 175 as the cap limit.   Again I think thats closer to 200 with a 2 year freeze in place.  So assuming its 200 that gives us 5 million in savings or just enough to bring in rookies.   Assuming 4 fill major holes and the other 5 (Bienemy and 4th and 5th comp) fill in depth we still have to fill 10 give or take spots.   The players/positions that will have to be addressed are WR (Watkins), S (Sorensen),  DB (Breeland), OL (Remmers, Rieter, Osemele), and LB (Wilson).    Some of those will be drafted but Veach will have his hands full again.

Damien Williams is a 2 million dollar savings cut, but I think he's more likely a trade candidate for a low round pick.   Henne is another 1.5 million savings.   Hitchens is an 8 million dollar post June 1st cut but I think he stays and we cut him after next year.  DOD is a million dollar savings cut and like others mentioned HB will get an extension that will cut his nearly 20 million dollar salary probably by half.   If Veach can have another draft like last draft (8 picks in the first 5 rounds potentially) we will be sitting great, ready for a dynasty run.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Put Wiz at RG, Rankin and LG, and Allegretti at center. 

This is exactly what I believe should happen. I think the odds that it does are virtually nil. But I believe it could be our best option the rest of the year. Hard to say without Allegretti getting snaps at C in practice. And I don't think he's played badly enough to be removed from the lineup.

But Reiter and Wylie are starters that are really really sub par players. It just blows my mind that we can have an offense this good with a line this bad.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This is exactly what I believe should happen. I think the odds that it does are virtually nil. But I believe it could be our best option the rest of the year. Hard to say without Allegretti getting snaps at C in practice. And I don't think he's played badly enough to be removed from the lineup.

But Reiter and Wylie are starters that are really really sub par players. It just blows my mind that we can have an offense this good with a line this bad.

Schwartz comes back and you can move either wiz or remmers into RG. Or let kilgore/wiz man center. I think Allegretti is fine at LG unless Wiz can move him out of it.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Schwartz comes back and you can move either wiz or remmers into RG. Or let kilgore/wiz man center. I think Allegretti is fine at LG unless Wiz can move him out of it.

Point is we have options. And the time for anyone making excuses for this line has run out.

Andrew Wylie singlehandedly stalled out a red zone possession. He got smoked on 3 consecutive plays and Mahomes had to just throw it away twice. 

He cannot start another game. Continuity isn't important if the group you have together is a bunch of ragtag bums.

I like Rankin at LG and Wiz at RG with next year in mind. 

Rankin is a very with some experience.  Hopefully Fisher can be traded and Niang start at LT next year.  

With Wiz this year we draft a RG for next year having Schwartz as his RT next to him. 

This balances the line with vets and young guys.  

LT- Niang

LG- Rankin 

C - Allegretti

RG- DRAFT

RT- Schwartz 

Rankin is a very with some experience.  Hopefully Fisher can be traded and Niang start at LT next year.  

With Wiz this year we draft a RG for next year having Schwartz as his RT next to him. 

LT- Niang

LG- Rankin 

C - Allegretti

RG- DRAFT

RT- Schwartz 

I fear Schwartz is done.  

LT- Niang

LG- Rankin 

C - Allegretti

RG- DRAFT

RT- Schwartz 

I think Fisher will get extended. Its the only way we can get his cap number down while not letting an unproven rookie watch Pats blind side. I agree with LG, and C. I'd put Niang at RG, and then kick him out to RT in 2022 when Schwartz hits free agency. 

Funny part is there is a path to a likely improved line with better run blocking available without investing anything in the position. 

Fisher, Rankin, Allegretti, Niang, Schwartz. 

But add in a couple of picks to that group. A young stud C and/or OG. Allegretti becomes a valuable interior backup. Maybe Durant sticks around as a swing tackle.. This group we saw yesterday can be overhauled without really spending much. But they have to invest picks. 

Again...why are we surprised our interior line sucks when we have a 7th rounder and 2 UDFAs starting in there? 

45 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think Fisher will get extended. Its the only way we can get his cap number down while not letting an unproven rookie watch Pats blind side. I agree with LG, and C. I'd put Niang at RG, and then kick him out to RT in 2022 when Schwartz hits free agency. 

Funny part is there is a path to a likely improved line with better run blocking available without investing anything in the position. 

Fisher, Rankin, Allegretti, Niang, Schwartz. 

But add in a couple of picks to that group. A young stud C and/or OG. Allegretti becomes a valuable interior backup. Maybe Durant sticks around as a swing tackle.. This group we saw yesterday can be overhauled without really spending much. But they have to invest picks. 

Again...why are we surprised our interior line sucks when we have a 7th rounder and 2 UDFAs starting in there? 

Niang is a big time pass blocker dominate in college there.  Stick him at LT and go.  He is easily athletic enough.