Oline the rest of the season

Can we all agree the weakest link is Wylie with Reiter following closely thereafter?   Why do I have the feeling that Rankins starts next week at LG in Allegretti's spot while we trot Reiter and Wylie back out there.   

In y'alls opinion whose spot should Rankin take? 

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Can we all agree the weakest link is Wylie with Reiter following closely thereafter?   Why do I have the feeling that Rankins starts next week at LG in Allegretti's spot while we trot Reiter and Wylie back out there.   

In y'alls opinion whose spot should Rankin take? 

He should take the spot that makes us stronger. He may be able to only play well at RG even though say Wiz is better there. Having wiz at LG though gives us a better overall line since Rankins can't play LG or something like this.

17 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He should take the spot that makes us stronger. He may be able to only play well at RG even though say Wiz is better there. Having wiz at LG though gives us a better overall line since Rankins can't play LG or something like this.

Rankin played at LG some last year. I honestly don't know what the answer is. Rankin, Kilgore, Wiz could give us an entirely different look on the interior.

But is a 10-1 team gonna do all that? Has Allegretti played poorly enough to be benched? I know he can play center but he hasn't had snaps there in practice if he's runnin with the 1s at LG.

Its a tough call. Honestly I still cannot believe they put Reiter back into the starting lineup. I will be very surprised if Wylie is starting at RG next week though. 

Y'all, Kilgore started breaking down in pass protection near the end of his run as a starter.  Dont think he is the panacea for the interior oline problems.  I think that's what got him benched.  Pass pro over run blocking.

That said he's not that much worse than Reiter at it.  I don’t think anyway.  Andy seems to like Reiter better and I'm guessing that's why.  Reiter was pretty good in pass pro last year.

9 minutes ago, xen said:

Y'all, Kilgore started breaking down in pass protection near the end of his run as a starter.  Dont think he is the panacea for the interior oline problems.  I think that's what got him benched.  Pass pro over run blocking.

That said he's not that much worse than Reiter at it.  I don’t think anyway.  Andy seems to like Reiter better and I'm guessing that's why.  Reiter was pretty good in pass pro last year.

Maybe last year, but this year???

Trash. 

Wylie + Reiter = Mahomes turnovers or worse...injury.

I will speak only for myself.

I find it difficult to compare the guys.  I know when one sucks and I know when one doesn't suck.  But it's different to not suck against the Jets vs not sucking vs Suh.  Or the Bosas.  There is such a huge difference in matchup week to week that I don't think I really can say that one is better or worse than the other based on game day performances. 

36 minutes ago, xen said:

So we can all agree that OC is a high priority in the next draft?  Has to be fy the end of round two even if it means trading up. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Because there was an All American at LT in Jonah Williams. Willis would have started at LT for damn near any other team in the country. So thats not really apples to apples.

And Willis is the better of the two. So why didn't he get put there and Williams moved to RT? And why didn't Willis move to LT after Williams left? 

Tcu also had an entrenched guy at LT is Joseph Noteboom (starts for Rams) then brought on a JUCO kid Mckinney who was more comfortable at LT so Niang stayed at RT. 

It is apples to apples 

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So we can all agree that OC is a high priority in the next draft?  Has to be fy the end of round two even if it means trading up. 

Grunny and Morse were 3rd rnd guys but our high 2nd is a low 3rd. so a trade down or up for a solid OC would not make me mad

23 minutes ago, Palangi said:

And Willis is the better of the two. So why didn't he get put there and Williams moved to RT? And why didn't Willis move to LT after Williams left? 

Tcu also had an entrenched guy at LT is Joseph Noteboom (starts for Rams) then brought on a JUCO kid Mckinney who was more comfortable at LT so Niang stayed at RT. 

It is apples to apples 

It could be like Wirfs at Iowa. He could play LT but they had him at RT. He was better than what they had at LT, but Jackson could only play the left side. The best line they could have was Wirfs at RT. If he played LT it would have been a bit better but the right side would have been much worse.

24 minutes ago, Palangi said:

It is apples to apples 

If you say so. Williams was an all American top half of the first rd pick.  Noteboom was a 3rd rounder who was kicked inside to guard in the NFL. 

Again, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I'm saying the chances they cut or trade Fisher to put a kid in at LT who's never played a regular season snap or a single college snap at LT seems extremely unlikely to me.

30 minutes ago, Palangi said:

It is apples to apples 

Maybe he wasn't at the time?  He's two years younger.  That's a big deal when you are that age playing tackle in the SEC.

On Thursday, reporters asked offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy about the addition of Wisniewski back to the active roster. Bieniemy said he “looks just like Wis” and went on to give a confident statement about the lineman’s ability to slide right back in with the team.

“Wis is gonna do anything and everything to make sure he’s getting himself back ready to play, to get himself right where he needs to be in case we need him to plug in right away. He’s a sharp kid. He understands the system. Coach Heck does a great job with those guys. On top of that, that o-line group is a tight knit group, so I’m sure those guys with the chemistry have just fell right back into place.”

Wisniewski is not yet with the active roster, but given the o-line concerns of recent weeks, it wouldn’t surprise anyone to see him not only promoted to the 53-man roster but also given snaps with the starting line sometime in the next game or two. The Chiefs face the Broncos on Sunday night at home in Week 13 and then travel to face the Miami Dolphins in Week 14.

49 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I also saw EB's presser and came away with the impression that it was all happy talk.  Nothing there to make us believe that Wiz is close to playing.  We may see Rankin before Wiz. 

I'm sure its just health dependent.  Thats a rough injury for an OLineman.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:34 AM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Next year I can see something like

Draft pick - Rankin - Allegretti  - Niang - Schwartz

I think Allegretti can be an upgrade to Reiter. He is much stronger and more physical. His pass blocking isn't tremendous but in that box between the guards I think he will improve. 

Schwartz will be on the last year of his contract, and Niang can kick out to RT in 2022. Veach was talking about Niang playing guard this year, so no reason to think that can't happen next year.

Biggest issue is Fisher. He can't be restructured as he already has been once. And you don't have many opportunities to free up 11 mill in cap room by releasing 1 player. I can see us drafting OT rd 1. A guy like Cosmi from Texas or Radunz from NDS. 

Thats a solid line. Best we'd have in years on paper. Hopefully it would translate well to the field. 

I'm not sure about Alegretti at this point.  He doesn't seem to have the body habitus of someone who can get quickly out in space in the running game.  Maybe I'm wrong. (Maybe Reid can deslign a trick play that requires the center to do a back flip at the snap).  He should grow into being  a great pass protector on obvious passing downs. I want to see him grow into becoming an asset in the running game.  Helaire needs some gaps.