Oline the rest of the season

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/12/23/andy-heck-chiefs-offensive-line-deserve-much-credit/

Andy Heck, Chiefs offensive line deserve much more credit

The Chiefs withstand the very best from opposing defenses week after week. Just think of the Raiders’ game to realize the size of the target on the Chiefs’ back(s). It’s a bragging point to knock off the defending champs. Everyone wants to topple Kansas City. Jon Gruden took a victory lap because it does feel that good to beat the Chiefs. And to K.C.’s credit, no one else would even know what that feels like. This means that defensive coordinators realize the Chiefs aren’t operating up front with the talent they would like, so it’s going to be a focal point to create disruption. And still it’s not working–at least not enough where it counts in the standings.

Reiter was a waiver claim turned two-year starter for a Super Bowl winning team. Allegretti is a seventh round pick who keeps earning starts. Remmers, Wisniewski, Wylie, and Kilgore were all journeyman signings. Durant was undrafted. Coach Heck has taken anything and everything he’s been given and turned it into a line ready to play the next week. They mauled the Bills. They stood up to the Saints. They’ve gone into the home stadiums of eight other teams and walked away with victories each and every time.

If not for the work put in up front by Heck and his players, it’s unlikely that the Chiefs would be in the pole position that they are for the AFC’s top seed. There’s no doubt they would have won the division and it’s also possible they could be in the running for it. But the offensive line deserves credit for somehow staying afloat despite taking misses that would have sunk every other ship.

Was looking at Osemele Twitter.  Dude is a hard core chiefs teammate.  I get the feeling he is coming back next year.  And his injury nakedness early enough to make it back.  

If he does we could be ok at line without selling the farm to fix it. 

LT- Fisher 

LG- Osemele 

C - Allegretti 

RG- Rankin 

RT- Niang

I do think Schwartz is retiring.  A back injury this bad is scary for big guys.  I he send to really enjoy his Mitch in the Kitch.

A swing tackle that could take over for Fisher after next year would be nice

A back guard to groom for Osemele would be good

And a center to compete with Allegretti. 

Here is an idea

3rd round Darian Kinnard. He is a 6'4" 345 RT at kentucky.  A mauler in the run game.  Didn't give up a sack in 2019. Gave up 1 in 2020. Long and athletic.  Did the mold of an Osemele type.

4th round Spencer Brown.  A 6'8" 325 tackle out of Northern Iowa.  Has played RT but is very athletic can play LT. Can learn for a year too. Has 35" arms and a 500lb bench press.  They say he will run a 4.9 or 4.8 forty time.  A nice developmental guy to replace Fisher. 

5th round Tristan Hoge. A 6'4" 315 interior guy.  Started at Notre Dame and then transferred to BYU. Physical athletic kid.  Has played mostly guard but has repped center too. He could come in and battle with Allegretti.  

I believe we will have 2 picks in each of the round.  The 3rd round comp will come from bienemy. The 4th and 5th will come from Ogbah and Fuller.

That would leave us with picks 1,2,3,4,5,6 to fill other holes.  Like LB, WR, DE,S, TE.

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Was looking at Osemele Twitter.  Dude is a hard core chiefs teammate.  I get the feeling he is coming back next year.  And his injury nakedness early enough to make it back.  

LT- Fisher 

LG- Osemele 

C - Allegretti 

RG- Rankin 

RT- Niang

I do think Schwartz is retiring.  A back injury this bad is scary for big guys.  I he send to really enjoy his Mitch in the Kitch.

Here is an idea

3rd round Darian Kinnard. He is a 6'4" 345 RT at kentucky.  A mauler in the run game.  Didn't give up a sack in 2019. Gave up 1 in 2020. Long and athletic.  Did the mold of an Osemele type.

4th round Spencer Brown.  A 6'8" 325 tackle out of Northern Iowa.  Has played RT but is very athletic can play LT. Can learn for a year too. Has 35" arms and a 500lb bench press.  They say he will run a 4.9 or 4.8 forty time.  A nice developmental guy to replace Fisher. 

5th round Tristan Hoge. A 6'4" 315 interior guy.  Started at Notre Dame and then transferred to BYU. Physical athletic kid.  Has played mostly guard but has repped center too. He could come in and battle with Allegretti.  

I believe we will have 2 picks in each of the round.  The 3rd round comp will come from bienemy. The 4th and 5th will come from Ogbah and Fuller.

That would leave us with picks 1,2,3,4,5,6 to fill other holes.  Like LB, WR, DE,S, TE.

I would still like to draft a OC that is as close to can't miss as possible in the first two rounds.   The rest of this I like a lot.   

16 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I would still like to draft a OC that is as close to can't miss as possible in the first two rounds.   The rest of this I like a lot.   

I wouldn't complain about that either.  I was thinking of we did it this way .  Putting faith in Allegretti at center. We could draft a guy like Joe Tryon from Washington.  He is 6'5" 260 very athletic and a very good bend.  Could be the outside rusher we really lack. Then take a guy like Tamorrion Terry from Florida state.  A 6'4" 215 WR that will run in the 4.4 range.  Could be a Watkins replacement and give us a tall redzone threat.  

8 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I wouldn't complain about that either.  I was thinking of we did it this way .  Putting faith in Allegretti at center. We could draft a guy like Joe Tryon from Washington.  He is 6'5" 260 very athletic and a very good bend.  Could be the outside rusher we really lack. Then take a guy like Tamorrion Terry from Florida state.  A 6'4" 215 WR that will run in the 4.4 range.  Could be a Watkins replacement and give us a tall redzone threat.  

260 pound center? Wow he would get pushed around. Allegretti can be LG or RG/depth if we upgrade center.

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

LT- Fisher 

LG- Osemele 

C - Allegretti 

RG- Rankin 

RT- Niang

Here is an idea

We need a guy drafted to be ready to take over for Fisher in a few years.  It takes 5 years for most O-linemen to reach their peak.  It took Fisher three years to be adequate and five to become what he is now.  He isn't going to last, and his replacement needs to be developed starting now.  It is too important for protecting Mahomes.

DE is a need. I also hope we go DT if a guy is bpa. Beem watching a guy from Iowa and he is killing it in making plays and was recognized in the big ten. Daviyon Nixon would be a good get if we go DT. Some other players are their WRs, Alaric Jackson at LT. Linderbaum could declare but I doubt he will. He is a really good center. More on iowa players in this article. Golston is a good DE too.

https://nflmocks.com/2020/10/20/2021-nfl-draft-iowa-hawkeyes/amp/2/

28 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We need a guy drafted to be ready to take over for Fisher in a few years.  It takes 5 years for most O-linemen to reach their peak.  It took Fisher three years to be adequate and five to become what he is now.  He isn't going to last, and his replacement needs to be developed starting now.  It is too important for protecting Mahomes.

Agree.  I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs took an OT in the first round IF the right ones fall and IF one of their other targets doesn't.  IOL in the first round is usually a reach, but a replacement for Fisher would be worth the pick.  Offensive linemen and edge rushers are weak in this season's draft. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs took an OT in the first round IF the right ones fall and IF one of their other targets doesn't.  IOL in the first round is usually a reach, but a replacement for Fisher would be worth the pick.  Offensive linemen and edge rushers are weak in this season's draft. 

A guy like walker Little might be available in round 2. He was a top 10 pick until his injury in 2019 then he sat out 2020. 

If we could get Nagy to take Fisher and his contact i would draft Little with that second round pick from the Bears.  The Bears need a LT to protect their QB. A veteran would be better for them

42 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That was Spencer brown i talked about.  Can sit a year or 2. Be the swing tackle and take over LT.

Just to much we don't know about the O-line for next year.  Do the Chiefs project Niang as a starter at OT or maybe OG?  Will Osemele be back?  Will Schwartz hang it up?  Will LDT come back?  Is there a market for Fisher if the Chiefs decide to go that way?  Can Rankin play at a starter level?  Then, of course, it's a question of how the draft rankings shake out with so many opt outs this year.  This will be the most complex off season we've ever seen in reference to the O-line.  I just hope Fisher and Rimmers hold up through the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

A guy like walker Little might be available in round 2. He was a top 10 pick until his injury in 2019 then he sat out 2020. 

If we could get Nagy to take Fisher and his contact i would draft Little with that second round pick from the Bears.  The Bears need a LT to protect their QB. A veteran would be better for them

The Bears won't give a second and take over Fisher's contract.   If Schwartz retires, that's a lot of tackle position to replace all at once. 

3 hours ago, Palangi said:

Saw somewhere that Tyron could fall to the 2nd.   Could still potentially get a Creed Humphrey at OC,   Joe Tyron at DE, and fill in the rest of the OL after that.  We have lots of picks this draft assuming EB lands somewhere.   Could potentially fill Watkins with Watkins or another vet on a one year deal.  I think fixing the center position would solidfy the entire IOL.   Not sure Allegretti is the answer though.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

It would be a reach to get an IOL, but a tackle is a different story.  Wasn't Fisher the first player taken in the draft?

34 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Bears won't give a second and take over Fisher's contract.   If Schwartz retires, that's a lot of tackle position to replace all at once. 

Yeah Fisher isn't going anywhere next year.  I think Schwartz retires which frees up 8-9 million.    I do think we draft Fisher's replacement this year.  If there is a guy that drops or a talented raw guy we probably draft him with the added picks we will have from EB.   I think we will have 4 in the first 3 rounds and 4 in rounds 4 and 5.   Plenty to add some solid depth to this roster.   I think we target a capable OC starter in this draft and a OG and then fill the rest with the likes of Rankins, Osemele, and LDT.  

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It would be a reach to get an IOL, but a tackle is a different story.  Wasn't Fisher the first player taken in the draft?

An OT in the first round suits me.  I just think its okay to wait until day two for IOL. The Chiefs should have four picks in the top 100.  That's hopefully two immediate contributors and two more future starters.  Four more picks in the mid rounds with Veach's ability to find some diamonds there could result in a good supply of cheap talent to fill several holes.  Two or three O-line, Edge, LB, WR. CB, TE all by round five?  Great chance to restock. 

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah Fisher isn't going anywhere next year.  I think Schwartz retires which frees up 8-9 million.    I do think we draft Fisher's replacement this year.  If there is a guy that drops or a talented raw guy we probably draft him with the added picks we will have from EB.   I think we will have 4 in the first 3 rounds and 4 in rounds 4 and 5.   Plenty to add some solid depth to this roster.   I think we target a capable OC starter in this draft and a OG and then fill the rest with the likes of Rankins, Osemele, and LDT.  

I don't se next season's starter at OC anywhere on the present roster. 

Just now, jetlord said:

An OT in the first round suits me.  I just think its okay to wait until day two for IOL. The Chiefs should have four picks in the top 100.  That's hopefully two immediate contributors and two more future starters.  Four more picks in the mid rounds with Veach's ability to find some diamonds there could result in a good supply of cheap talent to fill several holes.  Two or three O-line, Edge, LB, WR. CB, TE all by round five?  Great chance to restock. 

IC.  Yeah.  Does somebody on the forum know the track record for second round IOL's as opposed to later rounds?  I just don't know.  Even some 1st rounders are busts...like Luke Joeckle the same year Fish was drafted.