Oline the rest of the season

30 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

IC.  Yeah.  Does somebody on the forum know the track record for second round IOL's as opposed to later rounds?  I just don't know.  Even some 1st rounders are busts...like Luke Joeckle the same year Fish was drafted.

Some interesting notes in the first article, from 2013 though.  Second link is from 2018 and goes through it too.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1617235-the-varying-cost-of-finding-greatness-in-the-nfl-draft?m=1

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/25/17267876/taking-center-first-round-nfl-draft-worth-it-bengals-ragnow-price-daniels-offensive-line

I am hoping Linderbaum comes put and falls to us. A Remington award finalist who was first team all big ten ad a sophomore. Wrestling background helps too. There are 3 good ones this year but do any fall to the end of 2nd round? 

https://dearoldgold.com/2020/12/04/iowa-football-tyler-linderbaum-emerging-potential-1st-round-draft-pick/

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/26/kansas-city-chiefs-practice-squad-transactions-patrick-omameh-emmanuel-smith/

The Kansas City Chiefs added a new player to the practice squad on Saturday.

According to the NFL’s official transaction report, the Chiefs have signed veteran OL Patrick Omameh to their practice squad. Omameh has bounced around a bit this season splitting time between the Las Vegas Raiders and New Orleans Saints practice squads. He was recently claimed by the Saints off of waivers but promptly released after spending just a week with the team.

The Chiefs had the 30-year-old Omameh in for a visit earlier this season prior to him signing to the Raiders’ practice squad. He makes a lot of sense for Kansas City given his ability to plug-in basically anywhere on the offensive line. He has 57 career starts over the past seven seasons, with most of his time spent at left and right guard. He notably started for the Saints at left tackle in 2019 during their Thanksgiving showdown with the Atlanta Falcons. Given the injuries the Chiefs have faced this season, especially at the tackle position, it’s easy to see the appeal here.

In a corresponding move, Kansas City added LB Emmanuel Smith to the practice squad injured list. Smith suffered a hamstring injury during the Chiefs’ Week 15 win over the Saints. It’s unclear how severe his injury is, but Andy Reid described it as a “tweak” after the game. It’s possible that he could return to action this season.

The team also had WR Chad Williams in for another visit. He was recently re-signed to the practice squad and released to make room for former Titans WR Tajae Sharpe.

30 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I believe I may have found a solution to our problems up front going forward. Group works well together. Would undoubtedly give us more productivity at a fraction of the cost. 

Thoughts?

20201228_104035.jpg

No good.  Can't have 5 guys with the same jersey number.

1 hour ago, DefensiveMan said:

Interesting article, nothing mentioned of our All Pro RT out for the season, 6th round pick at LG and undrafted FA at RG.    And our center got benched earlier in the year and is also a jag.   Are there things to be concerned about?  Sure.   But does anyone think we are squeeking by teams if Osemele and Schwartz weren't lost?   I just get sick of reading articles that act like we are the model of health and we are just losing to these teams with a full squad because we aren't that good. 

13 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Interesting article, nothing mentioned of our All Pro RT out for the season, 6th round pick at LG and undrafted FA at RG.    And our center got benched earlier in the year and is also a jag.   Are there things to be concerned about?  Sure.   But does anyone think we are squeeking by teams if Osemele and Schwartz weren't lost?   I just get sick of reading articles that act like we are the model of health and we are just losing to these teams with a full squad because we aren't that good. 

What the press should be focusing on is the crop of amazing rookies and udfa's that Veach came up with . Some of those guys are going to be stars.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Amazing we have a new LG, C, RG and RT from what we had in the beginning. I mean who loses 4 of their starters for various reasons on the line and continues to win? I just hope not to get Mahomes hurt is all.

51 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Amazing we have a new LG, C, RG and RT from what we had in the beginning. I mean who loses 4 of their starters for various reasons on the line and continues to win? I just hope not to get Mahomes hurt is all.

Hopefully we'll have even newer LG, OC, RG next year but with some talent for a change. 

Offseason solution to fix our problems.  

Preface this plan,  Landon Dickerson got hurt and probably won't be 2021 ready and we can't afford to wait for any more guys on injuries.   I am a Bama fan and while I like Landon I'm not sure he's a future All-pro. Eric Fisher will be our LT next year because we will be changing so many other positions there will need to be someone familiar.   He's not the greatest but when he has a good LG next to him he is pretty good. Mitchell Schwartz is done and will be cut this offseason if he doesn't retire.    I would like to replace C, LG, RT this offseason and allow Rankins and LDT fight over the RT spot.   I would like to retain Wylie for a backup interior OL along with Allegretti.   I am penciling Niang in at RT next year.  

Assuming EB gets a HC gig we will have 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, & 5 picks in the draft.   

1.  Trade a 5th for Jason Kelce.  He would be an upgrade over what we got and would be a stabilizing veteran for the other rookies on the OL.  His 7 million cap is doable and would reunite him with Travis and Andy.  A post 6/1 trade saves the Eagles 5.5 million and they have Ross P in the wings to take over.

Draft.

1.  Alex Leatherwood - LG - Is a mauler and is versatile across the line and could slide over to RT if Niang can't produce.   

or  Trey Smith - IOL  Tennessee - Less versatile but potential Nelson-esque type guard.  

2.  Joe Tyron - DE - Huge need for this D.  Gay and Sneed helps fill out the LB Corp because Hitchens is definitely coming back for one more year and Sneed, Ward, and Baker form a reasonable trio to build around.  Thornhill will be a year removed from injury and should return to form and the front 4 just needs a rusher opposite of Clark.

3.  Myron Cunningham - OT - Potential future LT with good coaching and sitting out a year, but will be our swing tackle for 2021.   

3.  Tylan Wallace - WR - OSU - Sammy's replacement

4. Trey Hill - Developmental OC/OG

4.  Peyton Hendershot- TE - Indiana - Finally a versatile talented backup for Kelce

5.  Traded to Eagles for Kelce

5.  LB/S

Starting 2021 offensive line 

Fisher, Leatherwood, Kelce, Rankins, Niang

Backups - Cunningham, Wylie, LDT, Alec Lindstrom

This also allows the team to go out and sign a veteran wr to a one year prove it deal or a talented guy looking to revive his career like Corey Davis.   Defense will be about the same but with rookies developing with a full offseason workout.   With the cap situation we will have our pick of one year guys looking to prove something before the cap goes back up.   Getting that Oline fixed for 2021 and pieces in place to get Fisher's contract off the books in 2022 is a big win win for this team.   Tyreek will need to be paid after 2021 and Fisher's 15 plus million needs to be gone.  Also we will have to make a big decision about HB.   I think we let him play out his contract next year even at 19 million.   He still is a great player but his ability to play the slot this year is gone and it has to make you wonder if extending him 3 more year would be a big mistake.   But that is a problem for 2021-2022.

47 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Draft.

1.  Alex Leatherwood - LG - Is a mauler and is versatile across the line and could slide over to RT if Niang can't produce.   

or  Trey Smith - IOL  Tennessee - Less versatile but potential Nelson-esque type guard.  

2.  Joe Tyron - DE - Huge need for this D.  Gay and Sneed helps fill out the LB Corp because Hitchens is definitely coming back for one more year and Sneed, Ward, and Baker form a reasonable trio to build around.  Thornhill will be a year removed from injury and should return to form and the front 4 just needs a rusher opposite of Clark.

3.  Myron Cunningham - OT - Potential future LT with good coaching and sitting out a year, but will be our swing tackle for 2021.   

3.  Tylan Wallace - WR - OSU - Sammy's replacement

4.  Alec Lindstrom - OC - Iowa - Future OC, very talented just needs to bulk up a little.  

4.  Peyton Hendershot- TE - Indiana - Finally a versatile talented backup for Kelce

5.  Traded to Eagles for Kelce

5.  LB/S

Starting 2021 offensive line 

Fisher, Leatherwood, Kelce, Rankins, Niang

Backups - Cunningham, Wylie, LDT, Alec Lindstrom

Lindstrom plays for Boston College

Linderbaum is the center for Iowa and if he comes out he won't be there in the 4th.

I think Watt may want to come to us or GB. Possible trade? There is a lot of talent on DL and OL this next year. Scherff, Mack, williams, Thuney, okung etc on OL. Judon, Von  Miller, Dupree, Barrett,  Clowney, hell even Houston and more on D side. I am sure a vet would want to come for a chance at a ring. Especially if we win it again this year.

24 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I think Watt may want to come to us or GB. Possible trade? There is a lot of talent on DL and OL this next year. Scherff, Mack, williams, Thuney, okung etc on OL. Judon, Von  Miller, Dupree, Barrett,  Clowney, hell even Houston and more on D side. I am sure a vet would want to come for a chance at a ring. Especially if we win it again this year.

What would Watt take though?  Would love seeing him play opposite Clark and next to CJ but what can we afford?   1/10m?   Does he have enough in the tank because that would be our one mid level FA signing.

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

What would Watt take though?  Would love seeing him play opposite Clark and next to CJ but what can we afford?   1/10m?   Does he have enough in the tank because that would be our one mid level FA signing.

He has made huge money. He wants a ring and to play for one. I think he would do whatever it took to get on a team for it. Just my opinion but he would leave a lot on the table for the team to get more players.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Lindstrom plays for Boston College

Linderbaum is the center for Iowa and if he comes out he won't be there in the 4th.

Yeah saw Linderbaum actually rated mid rounds but I know those rankings are very subjective.  Changed the pick to the Geogia center who lacks mobility but is a big man.  

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He has made huge money. He wants a ring and to play for one. I think he would do whatever it took to get on a team for it. Just my opinion but he would leave a lot on the table for the team to get more players.

He also seems like a loyal guy and if he believes he is a coach and offseason away he might stick around.   Gotta believe Obrien selling the farm to be mediocre though hinders those thoughts.   He's a hero in Houston and chasing a ring seems beneath him, but I would love him on this team.   While he's not the same guy as he used to be, no way would you be able to double all three guys.   And if we could draft a DE that has some bend and speed our D could get to top 5 in a hurry.

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah saw Linderbaum actually rated mid rounds but I know those rankings are very subjective.  Changed the pick to the Geogia center who lacks mobility but is a big man.  

Linderbaum is up for the Rimington award. He has such huge upside and him putting on weight this year to 290 pounds is huge. One good thing about Ferentz is his o linemen and him as a former NFL line coach. His son too played center and had nfl playing/coaching time and is the o coordinator.  They and many other coaches, media rave about him at center.  I am thinking he is a top center or top 3 at the least.