Raiders game day thread

Just now, AFCWEST said:

Yes thats true but certainly nobody on this board is more qualified to make those decisions than the coaches. Discussion? Sure. Reality? Not so much.

I'm confused...are we doing something other than discussing them?

I also disagree on one thing.  I'll first say that when it comes to schemes and plays someone like Andy Reid has forgotten more since his last cheeseburger than I'll ever know.  But I, along with just about any other math literate person, understand better when to go for it on 4th down or go for 2 than some of these college and NFL coaches who do it for a living.  Experience and alleged qualifications do not always mean that someone is more qualified to make every specific decision.

10 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes thats true but certainly nobody on this board is more qualified to make those decisions than the coaches. Discussion? Sure. Reality? Not so much.

Doesn't mean decisions are always right.  

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest from the trees. 

But you keep thinking Niemann is the best option

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm confused...are we doing something other than discussing them?

I also disagree on one thing.  I'll first say that when it comes to schemes and plays someone like Andy Reid has forgotten more since his last cheeseburger than I'll ever know.  But I, along with just about any other math literate person, understand better when to go for it on 4th down or go for 2 than some of these college and NFL coaches who do it for a living.  Experience and alleged qualifications do not always mean that someone is more qualified to make every specific decision.

What Todd Haley was obviously qualified.  He was an NFL coach that right there certifies him apparently. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Probably one difference between coaches decisions and fan ideas is that we fans don't know the physical condition of players.  There may be a reason Thornhill is getting less snaps than earlier.  Sneed may not be ready to play a role at CB.  Okafor is working his way back slowly.  etc., etc.  What's frustrating to fans is seeing things that don't work being repeated over and over.  Sorenson can not cover Waller.  Doesn't take football knowledge to see that.  Neiman is ineffective.  That's not rocket surgery.  

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Not true.  Allegretti has put performed Wylie and Reiter since being inserted.  Yet it was Wylie and Reiter starting from the get go while Allegretti only got out there because of injury

To think coaches don't have biases is being naive. 

Yes, I'm completly on board with you on this. Politics and Bias play a BIG part in this. Such as Keizer and Nieman...Nieman's daddy is friends with someone in KC's front office. And I don't quite remeber, but Keizer has some "political" ties too. I think it's absolute BS, but who am I?

I agree that Tedric Thompson and Armani Watts look a lot faster and athletic than Sorrenson and I can't quite figure out how/why DOD can't take the reps from Nieman. I know the knock on DOD was that he couldn't pick up the playbook, but damn he's had two full years in the system now. The oline debacle is also perplexing to me..Allegretti and Kilgore KICKED ASS, yet Reid is HELLBENT on playing shitty ass Wylie and Reiter???

I guess as long as we're winning we'll have to stick with old cliche..."If aint broke, don't fix it" But they are making it pretty damn painful sometimes.

5 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yes, I'm completly on board with you on this. Politics and Bias play a BIG part in this. Such as Keizer and Nieman...Nieman's daddy is friends with someone in KC's front office. And I don't quite remeber, but Keizer has some "political" ties too. I think it's absolute BS, but who am I?

I agree that Tedric Thompson and Armani Watts look a lot faster and athletic than Sorrenson and I can't quite figure out how/why DOD can't take the reps from Nieman. I know the knock on DOD was that he couldn't pick up the playbook, but damn he's had two full years in the system now. The oline debacle is also perplexing to me..Allegretti and Kilgore KICKED ASS, yet Reid is HELLBENT on playing shitty ass Wylie and Reiter???

I guess as long as we're winning we'll have to stick with old cliche..."If aint broke, don't fix it" But they are making it pretty damn painful sometimes.

Keizer is the one with the connection. Niemann playing over DOD just shows how DOD will never play for us as he must be that bad other than ST. Also we may start seeing Gay play more now going forward which is a good thing. Nieman is playing because of need more than anything else and no one is smart enough or experienced enough yet for him to go back to ST play.

7 minutes ago, artsy said:

Just on the Reiter/Kilgore part:  The impression is that while Kilgore is obviously superior on run blocking, Reiter is more trusted in pass blocking.  If that's true, the experience of the first Raider game this season would lead the coaches to protect Mahomes at the cost of runs up the middle.  It worked.  No sacks and very little presser on Patrick.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Just on the Reiter/Kilgore part:  The impression is that while Kilgore is obviously superior on run blocking, Reiter is more trusted in pass blocking.  If that's true, the experience of the first Raider game this season would lead the coaches to protect Mahomes at the cost of runs up the middle.  It worked.  No sacks and very little presser on Patrick.

True, true. I mean the oline did look better last night. I don't get too "spruced up" on the oline play because those are the type's of olinemen that Reid targets. He doesn't go after the big road graders for running the ball, he likes the fleet-footed agile, smart pass blocking guys.

But Nieman and Kiezer??? I don't get it.

4 minutes ago, artsy said:

True, true. I mean the oline did look better last night. I don't get too "spruced up" on the oline play because those are the type's of olinemen that Reid targets. He doesn't go after the big road graders for running the ball, he likes the fleet-footed agile, smart pass blocking guys.

But Nieman and Kiezer??? I don't get it.

The O-line looked better because the Raiders were missing there best D-lineman who terrorized Patrick in the first game and also because Reid ran more outside the tackles and called for more short quick passes.  Like all successful coaches, he adjusted and it payed off.  345 yards passing and no long bombs.  Outrushed the Raiders and fewer third and longs.  Two long grinding series which may have been a factor for the last, game winning drive. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The O-line looked better because the Raiders were missing there best D-lineman who terrorized Patrick in the first game and also because Reid ran more outside the tackles and called for more short quick passes.  Like all successful coaches, he adjusted and it payed off.  345 yards passing and no long bombs.  Outrushed the Raiders and fewer third and longs.  Two long grinding series which may have been a factor for the last, game winning drive. 

Yea, I have to admit that I was really impressed with Offensive playcalling last night. We needed to score a lot of points, plus control the clock. It was quite masterful..

13 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

My hope going forward IF we don't get the#1 seed is that the Raiders make the playoffs play Pitt in the second round which I think they could beat then round 3 at Arrowhead for the right to go the SB. 

Ravens vs Steelers Thursday. I'll be a Ravens fan. Go Lamar!!

12 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I hope KC faces the best teams in the playoffs. No reason to fear.

Not afraid  of any team just believe they very well maybe the second best team in the conference and what better better way to settle a 1 to 1 season against each other than 2 hated rivals playing for a third time