What position in the draft moves the needle the most?

I think most of us can agree that we have big needs at LB, DE, LG, RG, C, WR (assuming Watkins departs) and possibly OT depending on Schwartz health and Fisher's contract size.

We have possible solutions at a couple of those positions in house such as Rankins, Hardman, and Niang.

Assuming our first and second rounders can step in immediately and help (the later is a bigger stretch because Veach likes reaching here).  Which position moves the needle the most for this team, not in popularity but in production in the first and which two overall.   For instance, a better Oline could benefit the team as whole more even if we pass on a defensive skill position player and that side of the ball takes a step back or vice versa.

I think a stud DE opposite Frank Clark might move the needle just a hair more than an upgrade at IOL because I believe very good and capable starters can be had in the 2nd (we have a history of finding some studs there).  

1.  DE

2. C/OG

The Bucs have probably the best LB duo in the NFL and a stud DLine in front of them and they didn't really do crap so while we need better LB play drafting one in the first doesn't really help this D out like finding another pass rusher.   I think we've seen that our D is top 10 easy if we can generate pressure.  Shoot, its the only kind of D that even gives us problems is pressure from the front 4.  

moves the needle the most? or best move for the chiefs?

This is two different questions.. 

right now, we pretty much know we will be picking in the latter part of the draft. 

Generally, in the center, gaurd section..

Offense: 

Long term needs are Right Tackle.

Left Tackle.

Gaurd, and Center Could use some immediate upgrades.

Note:  I dont have anything against Scwharz, or Fisher .. but its beginning to be time to make sure we at least have some really solid depth behind them. 

Defense:

Third safety is a big need in my books.

Linebackers..

Dline is last but might be most important..

Middle of the line is pretty solid I believe.

Frank is o.k. 

Defensive End could make a difference. 

what we would notice most though are a couple of decent linebackers, that can manage to figure out how to seal the edge, and there lanes. 

In order to get a premiere DE, or LB, we would need to move up I believe. 

what should be sitting  there for us, and has been true in most drafts is either the 1st or 2nd best Center in the draft.  === usually anything after that is just about practice squad material. 

So... I am thinking if we could find a nice pulling center, or gaurd it would make the biggest overall difference in the offense. 

Defense, a nice sub 4.4 big linebacker.. would be great.. but, then they dont fall off trees. 

RG

Too Bad He Left KC.

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Miami Dolphins

Entering his fifth NFL season, Emmanuel Ogbah had never recorded more than 5.5 sacks, which he did twice in his career — first as a rookie with the Cleveland Browns and then again in 2019 as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. Through 11 games in 2020, Ogbah leads the Dolphins with 8.0 sacks and 14 QB hits. But his impact is not exclusive to rushing the passer. Ogbah also has three forced fumbles and is third on the team with five passes defensed. Collectively, those numbers also make him one of the most successful all-around defensive ends in football and should warrant serious Pro Bowl consideration.

I’d like to see chiefs get a few nasty o lineman. 
We need to be able to run the ball better. 
Osemele, Niang will help. 
LB. this area needs to improve. 
D line. : as others have said we need more pressure with our front 4. 
TE. We need to find the next Kelce. He is getting up there in age. This must be priority. 

20 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

TE. We need to find the next Kelce. He is getting up there in age. This must be priority. 

evidently you have not been around much..it is now known by good authority a solid running game is over rated

Of course, it depends on who' is available when the Chiefs draft at 30-32.  All things being equal, I'd say a LB or DE, whichever can step in as an instant starter.  O-line needs the most help, but those can be grabbed on the second day.  The exception would be if an OT that the Chiefs thought could replace Fishes was there in the first, then go that way but save the IOL until day two.  If there's two third round picks as expected, maybe package them to move up for a second TE.  So much depends on whether Baker shows promise as a corner so the need to draft another early isn't there.  It would be great to see Sneed and Baker paired with Fenton as the nickel.  

1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

Osemele signed for just 1 year and may be done. Age and his injuries i think have caught up to him.

My current draft crush is Zaven Collins from Tulsa.  Man that kid is a beast.  Would be perfect at MLB in our defense.  A guy with his size and movement skills would kill.

A more consistent pass rusher opposite Clark though would be bigger for the D though.

2 hours ago, xen said:

My current draft crush is Zaven Collins from Tulsa.  Man that kid is a beast.  Would be perfect at MLB in our defense.  A guy with his size and movement skills would kill.

A more consistent pass rusher opposite Clark though would be bigger for the D though.

Agree about Collins.  I was going to ask if you were watching him.  Would he fit the Chiefs desire to have LBs that can cover?  Does he have the speed that Spags wants?

3 hours ago, xen said:

i think he is gonna go to high.

4 hours ago, xen said:

I would be drooling if Jayson Oweh declared.  He will be top 20.  What a freak. He would be worth moving up for.

He would be smart to go back to Penn State for another year though.  He is raw as hell and would probably go top 10, maybe top 5 in 2022.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Agree about Collins.  I was going to ask if you were watching him.  Would he fit the Chiefs desire to have LBs that can cover?  Does he have the speed that Spags wants?

He is terrific in coverage.  Its weird cause he's 260 but dude is built and can scoot.  Hits like a freight train.

2 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I would be drooling if Jayson Oweh declared.  He will be top 20.  What a freak. He would be worth moving up for.

He would be smart to go back to Penn State for another year though.  He is raw as hell and would probably go top 10, maybe top 5 in 2022.

If he tests like he's capable of (allegedly) he may go top 10 this year.  I agree he needs more time in college but if he gets a first round evaluation, which he probably will, he would be smart to come on out.

1 hour ago, robgar said:

i think he is gonna go to high.

Yeah secret is out on Collins.  I was hoping he'd fly under the radar.  Beginning of season I thought 2nd round cause of the school but he probably won't be there in the first when we pick.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah secret is out on Collins.  I was hoping he'd fly under the radar.  Beginning of season I thought 2nd round cause of the school but he probably won't be there in the first when we pick.

The Chiefs should have an extra 3, 4, and 5 so expect Veach to move around a lot.  Can't go far in the 1st, but if whoever they want is available at 29, for example, they could move up a few spaces.  If Collins is the third LB on the wish list, he might last until within reach.  A late third should be worth about five spots of moving up in the late first.  Wish Bolton was bigger. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs should have an extra 3, 4, and 5 so expect Veach to move around a lot.  Can't go far in the 1st, but if whoever they want is available at 29, for example, they could move up a few spaces.  If Collins is the third LB on the wish list, he might last until within reach.  Wish Bolton was bigger. 

6'4" 260 lbs