Mock offseasons

Iluvhouse24

Its time to get a few of these in here. I'm interested to hear peoples realistic (Non Balto-esque) ideas about how to overhaul our line and address other needs with very limited cap room. 

I think its a possibility that we don't offer a single significant free agent contract this offseason including to our own players, but that should be somewhat mitigated by the fact that we look to have 2 picks in each rd 3-5.

Too early and too many questions at this time.  Will Baker be a factor next year?  Is there any way to keep Sammy on a cheaper deal?  Is Schwartz going to be playing 100% next year?  Do the Chiefs consider Niang a starter?  That's only a few of the issues facing the Chiefs this winter.  Agree, they can't fill with FA for the most part.  Beefing up the O-line is the obvious priority although don't be surprised if Reid grabs a WR in the first.  My feeling is that if a starting OT is available in the first, grab him.  IOL can usually be had on day two or later.  LB, TE, EDGE, CB are all on the wish list so it just depends on who's available and how much Veach can manipulate the extra picks to get what he feels they need.

There should be some good options at positions of need even at the end of the first.  We might even get lucky and a few guys fall within striking distance.  There's guys I really like that may fall to mid 20s due to positional importance but IOL like Wyatt Davis might fall (probably not) or Vera-Tucker (maybe) or Creed Humphrey (probably) or LBs like Zaven Collins or Bolton might fall to us.

There also could be some good X receiver options which we really need to take a hard look at now considering how long it takes receivers to develop in this system.  Olave, Bateman, Terrance Marshall, and Amon-Ra are all in that 1-2 round discussion depending on testing.

At TE I would expect Freiermuth to be there at the end of round 1 (unless he kills testing) but not at the end of 2.  Pitts will be long gone but man would I love to see that guy in our offense.

Not super enamored with the DE options at the end of round 1 but I could see us looking hard at a guy like Oweh who has the size and athleticism we like.  He has the tools but needs a lot of coaching up which seems to be in our wheelhouse.

We could use more DBs as well and would love if we take a good look at a guy like Hamsah Nasirildeen in the 2nd or 3rd for the Sorenson big nickel/chess piece role if he comes out.  He can play a lot of places and would make our safety trio terrific.

26 minutes ago, xen said:

There should be some good options at positions of need even at the end of the first.  We might even get lucky and a few guys fall within striking distance.  There's guys I really like that may fall to mid 20s due to positional importance but IOL like Wyatt Davis might fall (probably not) or Vera-Tucker (maybe) or Creed Humphrey (probably) or LBs like Zaven Collins or Bolton might fall to us.

There also could be some good X receiver options which we really need to take a hard look at now considering how long it takes receivers to develop in this system.  Olave, Bateman, Terrance Marshall, and Amon-Ra are all in that 1-2 round discussion depending on testing.

At TE I would expect Freiermuth to be there at the end of round 1 (unless he kills testing) but not at the end of 2.  Pitts will be long gone but man would I love to see that guy in our offense.

Not super enamored with the DE options at the end of round 1 but I could see us looking hard at a guy like Oweh who has the size and athleticism we like.  He has the tools but needs a lot of coaching up which seems to be in our wheelhouse.

We could use more DBs as well and would love if we take a good look at a guy like Hamsah Nasirildeen in the 2nd or 3rd for the Sorenson big nickel/chess piece role if he comes out.  He can play a lot of places and would make our safety trio terrific.

I really like Amon-Ra.  Good fit.  

If Oweh is anywhere close to us, I hope Veach moves up.  He is my draft crush, so far.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I saw a mock afew days ago..Chiefs picking at 28 lol . the DE from Miami

I don't see that as realistic as Rousseau won't drop anywhere near within striking distance to us.  No dominant ends plus his size, athleticism and bendiness says to me he'll go high.  I think he'll test well.  Needs to develop but teams will like him a lot as I think he has some versatility along a 4 man front and possibly as an olb in an odd front as well.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I don't see that as realistic as Rousseau won't drop anywhere near within striking distance to us.  No dominant ends plus his size, athleticism and bendiness says to me he'll go high.  I think he'll test well.  Needs to develop but teams will like him a lot as I think he has some versatility along a 4 man front and possibly as an olb in an odd front as well.

I'm watching the Miami game now..none of their front 7 look worth of drafting.. that LB from NC on the other and..reminds me of Jr Say ow

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Too early and too many questions at this time.  Will Baker be a factor next year?  Is there any way to keep Sammy on a cheaper deal?  Is Schwartz going to be playing 100% next year?  Do the Chiefs consider Niang a starter?  That's only a few of the issues facing the Chiefs this winter.  Agree, they can't fill with FA for the most part.  Beefing up the O-line is the obvious priority although don't be surprised if Reid grabs a WR in the first.  My feeling is that if a starting OT is available in the first, grab him.  IOL can usually be had on day two or later.  LB, TE, EDGE, CB are all on the wish list so it just depends on who's available and how much Veach can manipulate the extra picks to get what he feels they need.

Thats why its a mock offseason. Man I bet you are fun at parties. 🤣 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Thats why its a mock offseason. Man I bet you are fun at parties. 🤣 🤣🤣

Yes I am.  All that I meant was that's it's hard to get a handle on many of the players coming out since some have opted out and others have played only a few games.  It's hard because we really don't know what the Chiefs needs are yet with guys like Baker and Schwartz not sure things for next year.  Add in the uncertainty of guys like LDT and D. Williams.  Guess I'm trying to say this seems like pure guess work or a Christmas wish list.  My wish is that the Chiefs find a OT that drops to the 30s.  If Collins, LB-Tulsa dropped to them, I'd wait on the OT and grab him.  Second round could be an IOL pick, preferably an OC.  After that, look for TE, WR, CB, more O-line and hope an EDGE is a value pick along the way. 

Just for kicks, I ran a five round draft simulation which probably is way off on player rankings but best and latest I could find.

1. Darrisaw OT Va.Tech

2. Myers, OC, Ohio State

3. Moses, LB. Bama  (based on more recovery time gets him back to earlier projections)

3. Kolar, TE, Iowa

4. Malone, EDGE, W.Ken

4. Terry WR, FlaSt

5. Luang, OT, WaSt

5. Bynum CB, Cal 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yes I am.  All that I meant was that's it's hard to get a handle on many of the players coming out since some have opted out and others have played only a few games.  It's hard because we really don't know what the Chiefs needs are yet with guys like Baker and Schwartz not sure things for next year.  Add in the uncertainty of guys like LDT and D. Williams.  Guess I'm trying to say this seems like pure guess work or a Christmas wish list.  My wish is that the Chiefs find a OT that drops to the 30s.  If Collins, LB-Tulsa dropped to them, I'd wait on the OT and grab him.  Second round could be an IOL pick, preferably an OC.  After that, look for TE, WR, CB, more O-line and hope an EDGE is a value pick along the way. 

Just for kicks, I ran a five round draft simulation which probably is way off on player rankings but best and latest I could find.

1. Darrisaw OT Va.Tech

2. Myers, OC, Ohio State

3. Moses, LB. Bama  (based on more recovery time gets him back to earlier projections)

3. Kolar, TE, Iowa

4. Malone, EDGE, W.Ken

4. Terry WR, FlaSt

5. Luang, OT, WaSt

5. Bynum CB, Cal 

If Fisher is cut to free up the 11 mill, I would say that OT at 32 is a very strong possibility. This looks to be a strong OT class as well. Could line up nicely.

Would love to know the status of Schwartz.  Big guys with back issues means trouble forever.  Would the Chiefs cut Fisher if Schwartz is hurting?  If the answer is no, they still could get an OT early as an eventual starter.  Depends on their plans for Niang.  I'd love to see the Chiefs draft an OT in the first, cut Fisher and spend some of the money on resigning Sammy.  Go with the weapons on offense already on the team plus add a second TE.  Two months from now, the names will start to emerge. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Would love to know the status of Schwartz.  Big guys with back issues means trouble forever.  Would the Chiefs cut Fisher if Schwartz is hurting?  If the answer is no, they still could get an OT early as an eventual starter.  Depends on their plans for Niang.  I'd love to see the Chiefs draft an OT in the first, cut Fisher and spend some of the money on resigning Sammy.  Go with the weapons on offense already on the team plus add a second TE.  Two months from now, the names will start to emerge. 

I think Niang could fill in capably at RT. If Schwartz called it a career, that would fee up another 6.5 mill as we would still be responsible for the dead money this season. If this took place we could literally see a situation where there are 5 new starters on our line. That seems unheard of for a SB contender,  but I think a team having an offense this good with a line this bad is pretty unheard if too.

Not to mention guys like Allegretti and Ranking would be in the mix for starting jobs. So its not like we'd have 5 starters on the line who weren't with the team at all the year prior.

It will be interesting. But it should be arguably our top priority. We have the best player in the league being protected by a bunch of bums.

29 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think Niang could fill in capably at RT. If Schwartz called it a career, that would fee up another 6.5 mill as we would still be responsible for the dead money this season. If this took place we could literally see a situation where there are 5 new starters on our line. That seems unheard of for a SB contender,  but I think a team having an offense this good with a line this bad is pretty unheard if too.

Not to mention guys like Allegretti and Ranking would be in the mix for starting jobs. So its not like we'd have 5 starters on the line who weren't with the team at all the year prior.

It will be interesting. But it should be arguably our top priority. We have the best player in the league being protected by a bunch of bums.

Could they do an injury settlement? Would possibly save them even more money? Either way they save 6.2 if he retires and get hit with 3.7 dead money. 

30 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Could they do an injury settlement? Would possibly save them even more money? Either way they save 6.2 if he retires and get hit with 3.7 dead money. 

Ask Xen. I honestly don't know capology that well. I just read that the current seasons dead money still counts. Maybe for the upcoming season its negated?

32. Kansas City Chiefs

Penn State EDGE Jayson Oweh

Adding a receiver or offensive lineman would make sense. But the Chiefs also should look at adding pressure players on the edge with Frank Clark not meeting expectations this season.

Oweh is more likely to rise above this spot once he tests at the scouting combine, potentially blowing the roof off the place. His low sack total (seven in his career, one in his past 12 games) a concern until you turn the tape on and see him occupying backfields on the regular.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

32. Kansas City Chiefs

Penn State EDGE Jayson Oweh

Adding a receiver or offensive lineman would make sense. But the Chiefs also should look at adding pressure players on the edge with Frank Clark not meeting expectations this season.

Oweh is more likely to rise above this spot once he tests at the scouting combine, potentially blowing the roof off the place. His low sack total (seven in his career, one in his past 12 games) a concern until you turn the tape on and see him occupying backfields on the regular.

No way he falls that far, but I would do cartwheels if he did.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

To early to tell but many have fallen before.

True.  You never know.  I expect he might be there.  He is a hell of an athlete though and if he tests as athletic as he looks on the field I could see a few GMs coveting him.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:10 AM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Ask Xen. I honestly don't know capology that well. I just read that the current seasons dead money still counts. Maybe for the upcoming season its negated?

All dead money accelerates into the cap for the year they retire.  You're off the hook for the rest of the contract though.  Schwartz restructured his contract so if he retires by the 3rd day of the league year, we're only on the hook for the signing bonus, 3.75m.

If he retires after that... 2 mil of his salary becomes guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year so then it's a 5.75m hit.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

This isn't a good year for O-linemen so I doubt the Chiefs will go that way until day two unless there's an OT that they prioritize.  More likely is Sammy's replacement, a CB, or maybe a LB.  Nieman, Robinson, and Ward should be replaced.  

YUP!

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

This isn't a good year for O-linemen so I doubt the Chiefs will go that way until day two unless there's an OT that they prioritize.  More likely is Sammy's replacement, a CB, or maybe a LB.  Nieman, Robinson, and Ward should be replaced.  

Ward is still good. Why create a hole? Breeland is a FA. Sneed, Ward and Fenton plus a draft pick or so is good to go with.

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Ward is still good. Why create a hole? Breeland is a FA. Sneed, Ward and Fenton plus a draft pick or so is good to go with.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  Ward has regressed this season.   At the least, there seems to be no more upside.  Can you imagine Ward covering Adams in the SB?  Sneed might do it.  Breeland would have a chance on some plays.  Ward would be beat like a drum.  Yeah, he's better than Scandrick or Bartee was and can fill a square if the Chiefs are desperate, but I'd hope the Chiefs could turn Ward into a little draft capital and get Baker on track.  They do need to draft another CB and develop BoPete.  Sneed, Fenton, Baker, draft, BoPete.  If somehow Breeland could be retained, that would really set them up, but that's probably not close to happening. 

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  Ward has regressed this season.   At the least, there seems to be no more upside.  Can you imagine Ward covering Adams in the SB?  Sneed might do it.  Breeland would have a chance on some plays.  Ward would be beat like a drum.  Yeah, he's better than Scandrick or Bartee was and can fill a square if the Chiefs are desperate, but I'd hope the Chiefs could turn Ward into a little draft capital and get Baker on track.  They do need to draft another CB and develop BoPete.  Sneed, Fenton, Baker, draft, BoPete.  If somehow Breeland could be retained, that would really set them up, but that's probably not close to happening. 

Well if Baker does well then Ward is good to have for depth. If we tag him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder for RFA and someone grabs him i won't complain. Ward has played with a broken hand and is best suited as the 2nd coverage type on the other side than he was playing. He wa moved around due to the injuries and if anything won't take much to resign. Of course if Baker sucks then we need Ward for sure imo. Breeland possibly gone would be another hole to fill if Ward left.