Common Thread/Opinions

Been working remotely a lot lately: listening to Sports talk from around the country to get a feel for what everyone is saying about the NFL in general and about the teams of the radio station I am listening to:

#1- Consensus around the country (non-national radio) is that the Chiefs are a team that does what they have to do, always thinking they can just step on the gas whenever they feel like it (consensus is this will cathc up to them in the playoffs)

#2- if Cleveland is dumping the innocuous moniker "Indians"  that they "Chiefs", "braves" and "Blackhawks" are not far behind.

What do you all think?

(My thoughts- 1. No 2. Why? Not offensive)

1 law of averages say its very possible

2, IIRC its the mascott that was offensive,, The Chiefs have nothing offensive and if Clark Hunt wants to cut his Dick off and rename the Chiefs.. thats fine I can root for the Bears and Hunt can take the team to be the Hollywood LQBTQ's

Why is the term Chiefs more offensive than the Kings or the Senators?  Chief Knock-a-Homa was cancelled in ATL but there's nothing more offensive about the Braves than the Fighting Irish.  My second favorite team besides the Chiefs will the be franchise that stands up to the cancel culture and tells them to get lost.  What could that cost beyond some bad press on ESPN?

1.  Any Given Sunday is a thing for a reason.  With that said it takes a whole heck of a lot going wrong for us to be in the situation to lose.   We had 4 turnovers and Mahomes worst game and it really wasn't as close as the score indicated, same with the previous 3-4 games.    I feel bad for the franchise that catches the Chiefs on a good day when everything is clicking.   They do need to be a little more disciplined but the Chiefs are the SB champs and are getting everyone's best shot.   

2.  I can totally see cancel culture coming for the Chiefs, but the Chiefs have done something most haven't, they were proactive in addressing it and finding out what was offensive and then getting rid of it.    I'm not Native American enough to have an opinion of how that should/could/would make a native american but it seems that the organziation has reached out and had these discussions and come to an agreement that is acceptable.    Clark Hunt should fight this pressure if it comes to that.   

4 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

1.  Any Given Sunday is a thing for a reason.  With that said it takes a whole heck of a lot going wrong for us to be in the situation to lose.   We had 4 turnovers and Mahomes worst game and it really wasn't as close as the score indicated, same with the previous 3-4 games.    I feel bad for the franchise that catches the Chiefs on a good day when everything is clicking.   They do need to be a little more disciplined but the Chiefs are the SB champs and are getting everyone's best shot.   

2.  I can totally see cancel culture coming for the Chiefs, but the Chiefs have done something most haven't, they were proactive in addressing it and finding out what was offensive and then getting rid of it.    I'm not Native American enough to have an opinion of how that should/could/would make a native american but it seems that the organziation has reached out and had these discussions and come to an agreement that is acceptable.    Clark Hunt should fight this pressure if it comes to that.   

1. It kinda looks like the chiefs are bored and just waiting for the Playoffs, not saying it is true but i get that feeling.

2. The Name Chiefs is not offensive, but they have started to jettison things that would offend, not letting anyone in wearing face paint or allowing a Full native Headdress...they want to get rid of the drum as well and the chant and Tomahawk Chop. Nothing wrong with the arrowhead, but the with washington and Cleveland pulling the plug on their names i can see the Braves and Blackhawks getting attacked before KC does

1. They can step on the gas. The fact that the consensus is it will catch up with them in the playoffs? It's in the playoffs where the did step on the gas when they needed to.... down by 24, 10 & 10 for the World Championship!

2. What about if we changed it to the Kansas City Indigenous People's Social Directors

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

1. They can step on the gas. The fact that the consensus is it will catch up with them in the playoffs? It's in the playoffs where the did step on the gas when they needed to.... down by 24, 10 & 10 for the World Championship!

2. What about if we changed it to the Kansas City Indigenous People's Social Directors

Why not the KC Scalpers?  (referring to gambling parlors, or course)

Someone referenced the Chiefs to the Fighting Irish...Good analogy/comparison.

Fact is...They will come! and I'm very interested in how Clark will respond.

I don't really understand how the word "Chiefs" can be considered offensive...There's Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, Maintenance Chiefs, etc, etc.. and best of all...

The Kansas City Chiefs!

Well we have a winner leading the team so it should be the norm for us.

I wouldn't imagine Chiefs offending anyone but with all the sensitivity going on I cannot be sure. I love the name and will probably keep supporting the team if it decides to become a whole new franchise but I don't like the idea of changing a name that seems to be perfectly fine. 

(1) I'm not sure the narrative is that it WILL catch up to them in the playoffs, I think the narrative is that it MIGHT.  Which is true.  Really what we've seen for the last year+ is that there is only one team that can beat the Chiefs, and that team is...the Chiefs (and, bizarrely, maybe the Raiders).

We're just a few unlikely plays away from dominating the last three games instead of letting them be close:

• Mahomes barely misses Hardman (or Hardman drops if you prefer, but I put at least 55% blame on Patrick) against TB, would have made it 34-10
  • Tyreek's two non-TDs against Denver (we all agree at least one should have counted)
  • Hardman's fumble against Miami (for a 35-10 lead)

If one or two of those comes through we're not even having this discussion.

(2) I love our team name, logo, and the Tomahawk Chop.  I think in a sane world it would not be considered offensive in the same way that the former name of the WFT (a literal slur) was, or the Chief Wahoo logo.  Having said that, I understand why some (SOME not ALL) might be offended by the Chop, headdresses, etc., and they probably can't separate that from a team name and other imagery that is meant with respect.  I'm also worried that unless there is a massive culture shift that we probably are in the crosshairs, whether that's 5, 10, 20, etc. years down the line.

2 hours ago, artsy said:

Someone referenced the Chiefs to the Fighting Irish...Good analogy/comparison.

Fact is...They will come! and I'm very interested in how Clark will respond.

I don't really understand how the word "Chiefs" can be considered offensive...There's Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, Maintenance Chiefs, etc, etc.. and best of all...

The Kansas City Chiefs!

it's not about whether it's offensive, it's about forcing others to submit to your will

59 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I posted this in the LR awhile back. This is Red Mesa High School in AZ. It is literally on the Navajo reservation. They have no plans to change the name at this time. If it doesn't bother them, it sure as hell doesn't bother me.

Missing the point on the Red Mesa Redsk*ns | Native Appropriations

Does not matter. If it bothers the minority opinion of a few and makes them feel like a victim....they will cancel it.