Eric Bieniemy can start interviewing with other teams today

NFL rule changes say head coaching interviews can start Wednesday.

According to NFL reporter Tom Pelissero, Wednesday could be a very important day for Eric Bieniemy (and any other potential head coaching candidate on the Kansas City Chiefs staff). That’s because any candidate for an open head coaching gig can be interviewed starting on Wed., December 23.

Given the COVID pandemic and the protocols in place for the NFL to conduct its business and carry out the calendar, both on and off the field, adjustments need to be made. One need for teams who are going to have an opening at head coach this offseason is the ability to interview candidates. For those who are gainfully employed by another team, it doesn’t make sense to force players to sit out for several days before joining a new team or restricting free agent visits only to allow head coaching candidates to waltz in and out of team facilities.

The NFL’s process for new coach hirings were unveiled late Tuesday night. Starting in December, coaches who aren’t connected to any other team (think Dallas hiring Mike McCarthy to coach the Cowboys after taking a year off) were allowed to be interviewed virtually without any limitations.

For teams interested in a coach who is currently employed by another team, instead of waiting on the regular season to conclude, those teams may now conduct initial interviews with their preferred candidate—for head coaching candidates only. Interviews can only last two hours, and the candidate’s team must give permission for the coach to interview.

For a candidate like Bieniemy, who has been the Chiefs offensive coordinator for three seasons, head coach Andy Reid is not going to have any problem allowing his right hand man to interview anywhere he wants, since he’s been a vocal champion for him in the marketplace for the last two years. In addition the league has adopted changes to the Rooney Rule which will require teams to now interview two minority head coaching candidates instead of one. Thus, expect to hear plenty of Bieniemy interest and perhaps news in the days to come.

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Will EB be at a disadvantage because the Chiefs might go deep into the playoffs?  Teams like to have the coach hires early to prepare for player evaluation and draft planning, etc.  Hope he gets a job with a decent team/owner. 

I just hope it does not  divert this focus of winning the next game..saying that in realization Andy is the puppet master

I'm pretty indifferent with this. I don't think anyone has a clue as to how much EB is doing and responsible for vs Reid. I definitely don't see him as a can't miss HC with just 2 years OC experience with the best QB in the league.  Wish him absolutely nothing but the best, but don't see losing him as a setback.  Could be wrong, time will tell 

11 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Kafka will be an absolute stud OC and we will have an extra 3rd rounder when Bienemy leaves. Best of luck. But this train isn't slowing down.

Did that go through for sure? The two 3rd round picks for a minority coach mentored by a team and then hired by another team?

He might lose some jobs if they want a HC early on to shape the offseason but otherwise he'll likely land a gig. Due to the expected deep run to the playoffs I think a traditional GM with some flexibility that likes to make the final decisions could go for EB, simply getting his input while using that flexibility to wait on the SB. 

EB is a good coach and leader in Kansas City who we will miss and I wish him well.  I hope he lands with a good franchise, preferably in the NFC.

EB is a giant cheating asshole who broke Tiny xen's heart in the 5th down game and I hope he rots in football hell.

Two things can be true.

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

2 extra 3rds? So we are gonna have three 3rd rounders? In 2021 draft???

No, one this year and one next year.   Interesting though because Poles is a candidate for a GM spot as well.   However I think he is a year or two removed from actually getting one.    

Those picks are huge as we need to fill a roster with cheap talent the next couple years and Veach seems to have a knack for hitting on mid round picks.   Or could be used to move back up for players he wants.  

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

No, one this year and one next year.   Interesting though because Poles is a candidate for a GM spot as well.   However I think he is a year or two removed from actually getting one.    

Those picks are huge as we need to fill a roster with cheap talent the next couple years and Veach seems to have a knack for hitting on mid round picks.   Or could be used to move back up for players he wants.  

Based on the track record Veach should move back. Seems he misses at least 50% of the time in top three rounds? 

6 hours ago, xen said:

EB is a good coach and leader in Kansas City who we will miss and I wish him well.  I hope he lands with a good franchise, preferably in the NFC.

EB is a giant cheating asshole who broke Tiny xen's heart in the 5th down game and I hope he rots in football hell.

Two things can be true.

Why not the AFC?  There's no reason to think that EB will instantly make a team a threat to the Chiefs.  Sure, he knows how Andy thinks and maybe a few vulnerable areas not obvious to other outsiders, but I'm not worried that EB will outcoach or outplan any other coaching candidate.  I do hope he isn't coach of the Chargers since the Chiefs would have to face him twice a year and he doesn't need two losses against him every year.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Why not the AFC?  There's no reason to think that EB will instantly make a team a threat to the Chiefs.  Sure, he knows how Andy thinks and maybe a few vulnerable areas not obvious to other outsiders, but I'm not worried that EB will outcoach or outplan any other coaching candidate.  I do hope he isn't coach of the Chargers since the Chiefs would have to face him twice a year and he doesn't need two losses against him every year.  

With the talent the Chargets have accumulated, especially at QB and on defense, a quality coach could make them a very scary team IMO

2 hours ago, THEWIZARD said:

With the talent the Chargets have accumulated, especially at QB and on defense, a quality coach could make them a very scary team IMO

True, but that applies to any HC the Chargers hire.  I like EB and wish him success,, but don't consider him the next Vince Lombardi yet. 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

True, but that applies to any HC the Chargers hire.  I like EB and wish him success,, but don't consider him the next Vince Lombardi yet. 

I wasn't necessarily talking about EB. You're right, he hasn't proven anything. But can you imagine what a Reid or Payton could do with that team?

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

If he gets Watson he might