Michael Thomas

30 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont know if he is the consensus top center, but from scouting reports and mocks/big boards I'm looking at, he seems to be. And value seems to be right in that area around 30. 

Depending on his injury situation, Trey Hill is an option at that spot if that's the direction they want to go.  I know people are upset at the line, but it wasn't really foreseeable that LDT and Niang decided to take a powder.  Not that LDT was really the solution, but with his salary, Schwartz's, Fisher's and a third rounder in Niang that's a fair investment in the OL.  Schwartz and Fisher seemed pretty ok at the time and I can see how they felt they could make it work.  Now our line looks like a French border patrol suddenly.  I think they absolutely have to take some OL fairly high. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Depending on his injury situation, Trey Hill is an option at that spot if that's the direction they want to go.  I know people are upset at the line, but it wasn't really foreseeable that LDT and Niang decided to take a powder.  Not that LDT was really the solution, but with his salary, Schwartz's, Fisher's and a third rounder in Niang that's a fair investment in the OL.  Schwartz and Fisher seemed pretty ok at the time and I can see how they felt they could make it work.  Now our line looks like a French border patrol suddenly.  I think they absolutely have to take some OL fairly high. 

Kid from Ohio St looks good too. Maybe 2nd rd grade. 

Assuming the Chiefs have four picks in the top 100, they can afford to wait on OIL until day two.  OC and OG are rarely worth first round picks.  If Fisher's replacement was available when the Chiefs pick, then that would make sense.  As for getting Thomas, there just isn't the cap space to get a starting WR in FA.  The Chiefs will have to either get Sammy back on a cheaper deal or draft a new X with speed.  Players want a shot at a ring, but I don't think many will give up $millions just for the chance.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I go back and forth.  Do we try and sign or trade for an upgrade at Center which would free up the draft or is there a stud future All-Pro caliber center in the draft.   The former would all us to take just one IOL early and then a developmental guy later with the assumption that Niang can be an upgrade over Remmers at RT.   We could nab a WR and DE with the other top picks.   

I kinda think we will try and resign Sammy again, but it gets harder and harder to swallow his injury prone month long misses.   But maybe if we draft a wr high enough it would be the final band aid.   No way he gets more than 8-9 million after this year and last years performance.   

If we are going to spend money on wr's, why not Allen Robinson.  Get that guy out of purgatory in Chicago.    What is more likely is Corey Davis a former 1st round underperformer that might do well being the 3rd option.   Bonus is a speedy guy and could be had for a lot less than all three other options.

Because Robinson....Davis or any wr not named Hill or Hopkins would bring the high level of impact Michael Thomas would.  If given the option of better OL vs Robinson or Davis, I’ll take OL.  Give me the option of getting a talent like Thomas just puts everything on an entire new level and the trickle down effect will be huge.

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think after word got out that the Chiefs were so interested in Ruiz before the Saints nabbed him last yr in rd 1, there is a VERY STRONG possibility we go Creed Humphrey in rd.1 this yr. Thats a 10 yr anchor in the middle of our line, and we need it badly.

I dont know if he is the consensus top center, but from scouting reports and mocks/big boards I'm looking at, he seems to be. And value seems to be right in that area around 30. 

We know how smart Veach is and we've seen he drafts back at positions of need. Ill be very surprised if we don't go interior line in ine of the first 2 rds, and if we don't I can see us taking two in the third or something along those lines.

Reiter isn't the worst player on our line but he is subpar and anyone other than DWBH would agree. 

Rumor is Philly might look to trade/cut Kelce even though he has remained a top 3 center in the NFL for years.  Could be a great stop gap for us.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Assuming the Chiefs have four picks in the top 100, they can afford to wait on OIL until day two.  OC and OG are rarely worth first round picks.  If Fisher's replacement was available when the Chiefs pick, then that would make sense.  As for getting Thomas, there just isn't the cap space to get a starting WR in FA.  The Chiefs will have to either get Sammy back on a cheaper deal or draft a new X with speed.  Players want a shot at a ring, but I don't think many will give up $millions just for the chance.

Not true.  Thomas’s contract has a lot of bonus money in it thus the cap hit for a trading team isn’t that dramatic.  Example would be that 2021 cost would be between $12-$14 million, which is crazy good for his talent.

Trading Fisher will save us about $11.5M alone.  Then let’s say you let Watkins walk instead of paying him $8-$9M.  You can now gain Thomas PLUS have about $7M to spend on OL help.

28 minutes ago, Balto said:

Rumor is Philly might look to trade/cut Kelce even though he has remained a top 3 center in the NFL for years.  Could be a great stop gap for us.

Kelce's Current Contract

(Other, signed 2019)
 (📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
2019 32 $930,000 $1,514,000 $0 $0   $930,000   $2,444,000 1.2%      
2020 📝 33 $2,000,000 $2,914,000 $2,000,000 $500,000   $4,000,000   $7,414,000 3.3%  
$17,056,000
($9,642,000)
2021 34 $5,500,000 $2,914,000 $0 $0   $0   $8,414,000 4.2%  
$10,142,000
($1,728,000)
2022 📝 35 $0 $2,914,000 $0 $0   $0   $2,914,000 1.3%  
$7,228,000
($4,314,000)

37 minutes ago, Balto said:

Not true.  Thomas’s contract has a lot of bonus money in it thus the cap hit for a trading team isn’t that dramatic.  Example would be that 2021 cost would be between $12-$14 million, which is crazy good for his talent.

Trading Fisher will save us about $11.5M alone.  Then let’s say you let Watkins walk instead of paying him $8-$9M.  You can now gain Thomas PLUS have about $7M to spend on OL help.

We all know your desire to send Fisher packing, but it's doubtful that the Chiefs can afford to lose both Schwartz and Fisher this winter.  Even drafting a first round OT would leave them with two rookies at the most important positions in protecting Mahomes. (Consider Niang a rookie)  Fisher hasn't played that badly this year considering the jumble the O-line has become.  The real question for us outside the loop is whether LDT is coming back and will he be effective, will Osemele be back healthy,  how about Rankins, has Allegretti peaked, and who will the Chiefs have available when they pick?  Under every scenario, the Chiefs need a center and they better not wait until the sixth round to find him.

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

We all know your desire to send Fisher packing, but it's doubtful that the Chiefs can afford to lose both Schwartz and Fisher this winter.  Even drafting a first round OT would leave them with two rookies at the most important positions in protecting Mahomes. (Consider Niang a rookie)  Fisher hasn't played that badly this year considering the jumble the O-line has become.  The real question for us outside the loop is whether LDT is coming back and will he be effective, will Osemele be back healthy,  how about Rankins, has Allegretti peaked, and who will the Chiefs have available when they pick?  Under every scenario, the Chiefs need a center and they better not wait until the sixth round to find him.

both Grunny and Morse were 3rd rounders..seems like a logical  round to start looking

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Now where have I heard that before? 😎

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think after word got out that the Chiefs were so interested in Ruiz before the Saints nabbed him last yr in rd 1, there is a VERY STRONG possibility we go Creed Humphrey in rd.1 this yr. Thats a 10 yr anchor in the middle of our line, and we need it badly.

We know how smart Veach is and we've seen he drafts back at positions of need. Ill be very surprised if we don't go interior line in ine of the first 2 rds, and if we don't I can see us taking two in the third or something along those lines.

Reiter isn't the worst player on our line but he is subpar and anyone other than DWBH would agree. 

Caesar Ruiz had elite measurables, which is why we were looking hard at him.  Great player, wish he would have dropped.  I think Creed may test himself down to the 2nd round.

That said, love the player and hope we nab him in the 2nd, though it may require a trade up.

I do agree we need to upgrade that position.  Without a doubt.

20 minutes ago, xen said:

Caesar Ruiz had elite measurables, which is why we were looking hard at him.  Great player, wish he would have dropped.  I think Creed may test himself down to the 2nd round.

That said, love the player and hope we nab him in the 2nd, though it may require a trade up.

I do agree we need to upgrade that position.  Without a doubt.

Why trade up? Just take him at end of the first if he warrants a 36th pick, we might as well get him end of first then.

Came across this. Thoughts?

https://www.showmefootball.com/post/the-chiefs-may-target-wr-marvin-jones-this-offseason

Josh Fann

• 2 hours ago
  •  
  • 2 min

The Chiefs may target WR Marvin Jones this offseason

file.jpgaab2b5_28462087281e4e53a815b65f53b10fb4~mv2.webp

While the NFL regular season is still going on, it's never too early to discuss potential offseason moves for the Kansas City Chiefs. Everyone knows that wide receiver will be a need for the Chiefs this offseason. Sammy Watkins will be a free agent along with Demarcus Robinson and Mecole Hardman hasn't shown enough progress to make the Chiefs comfortable with their receiver room going into 2021. It's still possible Sammy Watkins is willing to return at a lesser number in 2021 but the Chiefs may want someone more dependable.

That would be current Detroit Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr. Jones has been linked to the Chiefs in recent weeks now and his future in Detroit looks cloudy at best. According to Chris Burke of The Athletic, Jones is looking forward to testing free agent waters.

Take that for what it's worth, but it sounds like Jones isn't too intent on staying in Detroit. Furthermore, Jones added that he'll prioritize finding a team that can contend (*Cough, Cough, Kansas City*). So why exactly would the Chiefs be interested? Well, as mentioned, the Chiefs receiver room will be lacking a little bit after this season unless they plan on addressing it in the draft. If not, Jones makes a lot of sense.

Jones would be a massive get for the Chiefs offense if it were to happen. Jones fits best as a No.2 receiver which is exactly what he would be in Kansas City. Jones runs a 4.4 second 40-yard dash which keeps with the speed theme and at 6'2", 200lbs, Jones would be a big and physical target that the Chiefs haven't really had for awhile. Jones has also had a nice season for the Lions totaling just under 800 receiving yards and 7 TDs on 68 catches. Jones has struggled with injuries somewhat as he only played 9 games in 2018, but he did play 13 games in 2019 and will have played in 16 games this season.

It's not yet known what exactly Jones' market will be, but he will be turning 31 this offseason so he won't be getting anything like his 5-year, $40,000,000 deal he got back in 2016. However, he'll still get a decent number. Yes, I already know what you're thinking. How will the Chiefs have money? Eric Fisher and unfortunately Mitchell Schwartz could be potential cut candidates after this year. Them alone will free up around $14,000,000 in cap. Sammy Watkins' $9,000,000 also comes off the books. Alex Okafor also saves a few million being cut. You get the point. There's always a way. Brett Veach has been creative enough with the cap to where he could offer Jones something like 3 years, $21,000,000. That would pay Jones $7,000,000 per year until he's 34 which is more than fair for both sides and you could always front-load the contract to make Jones' deal more fair as he ages.

We'll have to wait and see what Jones' market is and where his head is at, but he is absolutely a name Chiefs fans should watch for if they decide to go the free agent route to fill the potential hole at wide receiver.

42 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Why trade up? Just take him at end of the first if he warrants a 36th pick, we might as well get him end of first then.

Could be.  I just think there will be some guys we like available at other positions that are are harder to find good players at.  Like perhaps pass rusher or offensive tackle.  There are also some really good MLB candidates with coverage skills that could be there like Zaven Collins or Nick Bolton. 

I would not be mad at Creed in round 1 if that's the direction they go.  He could play pretty quickly for us assuming they have a somewhat normal offseason to practice taking snaps with Pat and Creed.  He's a lefty so ball has a different spin.

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Came across this. Thoughts?

https://www.showmefootball.com/post/the-chiefs-may-target-wr-marvin-jones-this-offseason

Josh Fann

• 2 hours ago
  •  
  • 2 min

The Chiefs may target WR Marvin Jones this offseason

file.jpgaab2b5_28462087281e4e53a815b65f53b10fb4~mv2.webp

Snip

That would be a good Sammy replacement.  

4 minutes ago, xen said:

That would be a good Sammy replacement.  

Thought so too. He has had past injuries but at least seems to play more than Sammy does each season. There will be quite a few WRs in the draft and FA. May pick one up in each?

31 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Thought so too. He has had past injuries but at least seems to play more than Sammy does each season. There will be quite a few WRs in the draft and FA. May pick one up in each?

Yeah if they go the vet route i would still draft a guy like Amon-Ra in round 2.  

I'm not all that interested in finding a replacement for Sammy that we will have to replace in two years, unless we draft a young guy that can learn for a year to be the replacement.   Otherwise we are wasting years of learning the system without getting someone who knows the system in and out and can be counted on long term.

I don't know about the price tag but I think Marvin Jones makes a lot of sense as a player. Can play as a possession receiver as well as go deep on the outside and would definitely want to play for Mahomes. The big issue is his age IMO. At 31 he might not be in a position to play a year for a lame deal as his value will simply go down at 32. So he'll likely be looking for a long term deal that will be his last paycheck. 

20 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Kelce's Current Contract

(Other, signed 2019)
 (📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
2019 32 $930,000 $1,514,000 $0 $0   $930,000   $2,444,000 1.2%      
2020 📝 33 $2,000,000 $2,914,000 $2,000,000 $500,000   $4,000,000   $7,414,000 3.3%  
$17,056,000
($9,642,000)
2021 34 $5,500,000 $2,914,000 $0 $0   $0   $8,414,000 4.2%  
$10,142,000
($1,728,000)
2022 📝 35 $0 $2,914,000 $0 $0   $0   $2,914,000 1.3%  
$7,228,000
($4,314,000)

I did say cut/trade.  Would he not like to come to KC and play with his brother for a couple more seasons at a reduced cost?