KPass diverted Koo's FG?l

Did Chiefs’ Tanoh Kpassagnon make game-winning play vs. Falcons?

Charles Goldman
Tue, December 29, 2020, 11:01 AM CST

1dfed26468d772f9a364f35638e75ddd

Atlanta Falcons kicker Younghoe Koo missed a game-tying 39-yard field goal in the final seconds of the fourth quarter against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 16. But did he really miss the kick or was it partially blocked?

Chiefs defensive end Tanoh Kpassagnon took to Twitter on Tuesday morning, claiming he got a finger on the field goal attempt by Koo. That’d mean instead of some good fortune for Kansas City, this would be a massive play for a special teams unit that has been thriving lately.

This would be Kpassagnon’s first play made on a field goal this season. He had two field goal blocks in back-to-back weeks of the 2019 season, with blocks in Week 13 against the Raiders and Week 14 against the Patriots.

The veteran defensive end has often been utilized in field goal block situations because of his length. He is listed at 6-7 with 35 and 5/8th-inch arms. He burst through the Falcons line and appeared to get close to the ball, but it’s still quite hard to tell if he actually got a piece of it, even looking at the All-22 footage.

Up until this point, Koo hadn’t missed a field goal attempt since the month of September. He’d made 27 field goals since his last miss, including multiple long kicks of 54 yards. He’s been among the most consistent kickers in the NFL this season, so a block would make a bit more sense than a miss.

S

29 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

And he's averaging 1.75 sacks per year. 

KPass has not lived up to his draft status, but I don't mind having big, fast, versatile guys like that on the roster.  He doesn't always get sacks, but he gets pressure.  He's decent against the run.  You can drop him into coverage occasionally and not look stupid.  Spags seems to like guys like that.  And he seems to have a pretty good motor.  ]

I'd rather have him than Dee Ford for 5 years and 85 million. 

34 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

KPass has not lived up to his draft status, but I don't mind having big, fast, versatile guys like that on the roster.  He doesn't always get sacks, but he gets pressure.  He's decent against the run.  You can drop him into coverage occasionally and not look stupid.  Spags seems to like guys like that.  And he seems to have a pretty good motor.  ]

True because Ford is averaging 1.75 games per year!

9 hours ago, reesebobby said:

He's basically what they expected from Speaks in this system. Decent in run and coverage but not really a pass rusher that will get sacks. He does a good job of disrupting the pocket and getting pressure but doesn't have that finesse to finish it off.

Definitely an upgrade over Ford on the edge. A one-trick pony that turned out to be very shaky with that trick once put in another environment. 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

He's basically what they expected from Speaks in this system. Decent in run and coverage but not really a pass rusher that will get sacks. He does a good job of disrupting the pocket and getting pressure but doesn't have that finesse to finish it off.

Definitely an upgrade over Ford on the edge. A one-trick pony that turned out to be very shaky with that trick once put in another environment. 

Busted pick considering he was a 2nd round pick imo.   Guys like that are considered good picks in the 4th and 5th round.

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Busted pick considering he was a 2nd round pick imo.   Guys like that are considered good picks in the 4th and 5th round.

With the exception of QB I think any player in the first two rounds should be starting from day one and have positive impact. I think he was a bad pick in that regard and the Chiefs having him in 3-4 for two years made it much worse. He came up as a great athlete but that's generally guys to draft later on. If we wasted less 2nd round picks in the last few draft we could probably have a solid OL or LB group at this point.