Playoff games thread

Thought we could track the games and who we may play etc in one thread. Found this interesting too for practice squad players for this year.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/30/nfl-unlimited-practice-squad-elevations-kansas-city-chiefs-outlook/

December 30, 2020 10:07 am

The NFL Management Council and NFLPA have agreed to a new rule that will be beneficial to the Kansas City Chiefs during the playoffs.

According to NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero, the NFL and NFLPA recently agreed to remove the two-game restriction from practice squad standard elevations. Previously, players could only be activated to the 53-man roster from the practice squad twice without those players needing to clear waivers to return to the practice squad. Now, the NFL is allowing practice squad players to be elevated an unlimited number of times during the course of the playoffs.

This new rule will go into effect at the conclusion of Week 17 and the start of the wild card round.

So why will this rule be beneficial for the Chiefs? They already have several players on the practice squad who had exhausted their two standard elevations for the season Players like WR Gehrig Dieter, CB DeAndre Baker and DB Chris Lammons each would be ineligible for standard elevation under the old rule. Should those three players be needed in the playoffs, the team won’t have to risk losing them on waivers or make a move to sign them to the 53-man roster unless absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately, this rule wasn’t in place a few weeks ago. Perhaps it would have influenced the decision of WR Marcus Kemp, who signed with the Miami Dolphins practice squad knowing that he no longer had the ability to be elevated to the Chiefs’ 53-man roster

20 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

We play the lowest remaining seed after round 1, correct?

I could see that being the 6th seeded Browns beating the Steelers.  And of course the Titans are a possibility.  

Browns would be nice. Anyone that plays Steelers I think will be our opponent. Browns, Indy or Ravens. Browns would be the easiest one imo, then Indy then Ravens.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

What evidence is there that Mahomes gets rusty with a week or two off?  He's been perfectly fine --- great even! --- in first games of the year or games after a bye.

thats a good point and I have to think with all MVPat has on his table  he cant focus like he could being a single not to be a daddy with a pregnant wife on his mind. It happens to the best of them ..hopefully with  this time off he can get any loose wires tied up ( if in fact there are any)  Andy for sure will have good game plan.

3 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

What evidence is there that Mahomes gets rusty with a week or two off?  He's been perfectly fine --- great even! --- in first games of the year or games after a bye.

Remember him going down last year with the knee and ankle injuries? He missed 2 games and a bye week. What did he do to Houston then? 273 yards 3 td and 1 int. We will be just fine and this is rest not because of injury plus he is much better. We won't lose the game either.

8 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

not mahomes, but players in general... history has shown that resting your starters completely has detrimental affects

4 minutes ago, mex said:

not mahomes, but players in general... history has shown that resting your starters completely has detrimental affects

History has not shown that.  You're remembering the cases where things went wrong.  Statistically there is not proof of this.

The last team to make the Super Bowl without a bye was the 2012 Ravens.  If missing time was a factor this would certainly not be the case.

History has not shown that.  You're remembering the cases where things went wrong.  Statistically there is not proof of this.

The last team to make the Super Bowl without a bye was the 2012 Ravens.  If missing time was a factor this would certainly not be the case.

Was reading a breakdown of this somewhere and they pretty much came to the same conclusion.  It's been done successfully both ways and who knows.

I will say we could use the rest.  I have faith mahomes will be ready and his receivers could definitely use some fresh legs.

There's a difference between a bye week and two weeks off, but probably as beat up as the team is now, two weeks off is a plus. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There's a difference between a bye week and two weeks off, but probably as beat up as the team is now, two weeks off is a plus. 

of course rest the starters who are hurting.  Not saying they should play a whole game... I just think ya gotta play healthy starters a little bit... maybe a quarter... just to keep them in rhythm

just my .02

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

What's the evidence for the first half of your post?  I don't think it exists.  Solid, analytical evidence, not just an anecdote here or there.  If you can point to it, go ahead.

56 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

What's the evidence for the first half of your post?  I don't think it exists.  Solid, analytical evidence, not just an anecdote here or there.  If you can point to it, go ahead.

Okay, a bye week is 13 (maybe 12) days off between games.  Two weeks off means 20 (maybe 19 if the next game is a Sat. game) days off between games.  Is that analytical enough? 😉

The points is that players could be less likely to get rusty with one weekend off rather than two.  I can't prove the last part, but stand by the statement you challenged which was that there's a difference between a bye and two weeks off. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Okay, a bye week is 13 (maybe 12) days off between games.  Two weeks off means 20 (maybe 19 if the next game is a Sat. game) days off between games.  Is that analytical enough? 😉

The points is that players could be less likely to get rusty with one weekend off rather than two.  I can't prove the last part, but stand by the statement you challenged which was that there's a difference between a bye and two weeks off. 

Obviously two weeks is not equal to one, that very clearly isn't what I was saying.  My point is that there isn't evidence that the extra week is detrimental.

The evidence shows that, statistically, it's preferable to have a bye and whatever rust might exist is outweighed by the rest.  It's certainly understandable that one might believe that an additional week of resting starters might flip this statistic, but without evidence that's just a belief.  The burden of proof would be on you in that case to say more than "two is more than one."

Packers just lost David Baktari (sp) for the year with a torn acl in practice.   I think resting players isn't a bad thing.   Especially how banged up we are.   We are a team that can over come a bad quarter and even a bad half.  Most teams can't claim that.    Rest them and lets roll!

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

We actually have 3 weeks off......which is why I’m worried.

8 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Obviously two weeks is not equal to one, that very clearly isn't what I was saying.  My point is that there isn't evidence that the extra week is detrimental.

The evidence shows that, statistically, it's preferable to have a bye and whatever rust might exist is outweighed by the rest.  It's certainly understandable that one might believe that an additional week of resting starters might flip this statistic, but without evidence that's just a belief.  The burden of proof would be on you in that case to say more than "two is more than one."

I never claimed that two weeks was a disadvantage, just that two games off could be overkill for rest.  We just don't know. 

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I never claimed that two weeks was a disadvantage, just that two games off could be overkill for rest.  We just don't know. 

Like I said, if someone has the data that would be cool.  But given that one week off is a good thing, I'm not super worried about having effectively two weeks off.

6 hours ago, Balto said:

We actually have 3 weeks off......which is why I’m worried.

It's 20-21 days between meaningful games, but it's not "3 weeks off."  First off, we can't rest all of our starters this week, even if we wanted to.  Second, when you have games on consecutive Sundays no one considers that a "week off."  We have a weekend that doesn't matter, and another weekend off.  Not three game days off.

I'm not a fan of resting the starters, but what makes me less worried is evidence from a Reid coached Chiefs team in his first season. The Chiefs rested their starters and still almost beat the Chargers in 2013.

They lost the playoff game, but didn't look rusty at all. They were kicking the crap out of the Colts, then some untimely injuries and fluke plays, changed everything. After that loss, i don't remember anyone saying that resting the starters was the cause.