Chiefs Chargers round 2 GameDay thread

I hate that we had the greatest season in franchise history in terms of record, and now we're starting 20 or so guys who will never be more than backups.  I know record at this point is meaningless, but there's got to be a pride factor in there as well, 15-1 would be quite an accomplishment.  Instead, Reid decides to sit everyone with a pulse, even though we have a bye week.  I absolutely hate the decision to sit starters for a bunch of reasons.  

16 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I hate that we had the greatest season in franchise history in terms of record, and now we're starting 20 or so guys who will never be more than backups.  I know record at this point is meaningless, but there's got to be a pride factor in there as well, 15-1 would be quite an accomplishment.  Instead, Reid decides to sit everyone with a pulse, even though we have a bye week.  I absolutely hate the decision to sit starters for a bunch of reasons.  

I think the injury to Gay just about justified the decision by itself. I know what you mean, because our situation is unique. We aren't playing close to our peak and our o- line sucks.

But Reid has had the opportunity to move pieces around on his line for weeks and has neglected to do so, unless necessitated by injury. Its not like they were all gonna gel week 17.

The thing that makes this team beatable is our offensive line and their inability to protect Mahomes. You put a group of studs in front of him, this team is literally a video game. Defense just needs to be competent. But Reid is loyal to a fault at times, and he has hitched his wagon to a very shitty group of offensive lineman. Sink or swim buddy. 

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think the injury to Gay just about justified the decision by itself. I know what you mean, because our situation is unique. We aren't playing close to our peak and our o- line sucks.

But Reid has had the opportunity to move pieces around on his line for weeks and has neglected to do so, unless necessitated by injury. Its not like they were all gonna gel week 17.

The thing that makes this team beatable is our offensive line and their inability to protect Mahomes. You put a group of studs in front of him, this team is literally a video game. Defense just needs to be competent. But Reid is loyal to a fault at times, and he has hitched his wagon to a very shitty group of offensive lineman. Sink or swim buddy. 

3 weeks between live game action is a long time, and we sat so many people, that rust has to be a concern.  As good as Reid is as a coach, there's a reason it took him so long to finally win a super bowl despite having a ton of really good teams.  Maybe it's battered fan syndrome from the 90s, but man if we get beat in the divisional game, Reid resting everyone is going to be the elephant in the room.  

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

Yeah, think with our heads not our hearts.  15-1 would be cool but protecting these guys is more important than a cool record or trying to figure out some things that they'll be working on with the time off anyway.

I'd be more inclined to agree with sitting if there were a game next week.  The 3 weeks between games is my concern. 

2 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I'd be more inclined to agree with sitting if there were a game next week.  The 3 weeks between games is my concern. 

This is the best I could find at addressing the issue.  TL;DR there is not a lot of data to go on, but there's really no evidence to suggest any clear correlation with end-of-season momentum or rust due to resting starters:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14412394/the-case-resting-starters-prepare-playoffs-nfl