Texans don’t interview EB

Eric Bieniemy may not end up with head coaching job again?

January 10, 2021

by Grey Papke

Nearly every NFL team with a head coaching vacancy wanted to talk to Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy. In spite of this, the process may end with Bieniemy staying right where he is.

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, there is a sense that Bieniemy could be passed over for head coaching positions, just as he was last offseason. The fact that Bieniemy cannot be hired until the Chiefs’ playoff run has concluded is a factor working against him. If the Chiefs were to reach the Super Bowl again, any team wanting to hire Bieniemy may have to wait another month to install him as head coach. That’s valuable prep and evaluation time lost.

A source also told Florio that Bieniemy is being picky about his career choices. He has reportedly privately said that he will remain with Kansas City until the perfect job opportunity comes along.

There are reports that Bieniemy has a strong preference for one team in the hiring process. NFL rules may be working against him, in spite of the fact that five teams have sought to interview him.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Eric Bieniemy may not end up with head coaching job again?

January 10, 2021

by Grey Papke

Nearly every NFL team with a head coaching vacancy wanted to talk to Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy. In spite of this, the process may end with Bieniemy staying right where he is.

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, there is a sense that Bieniemy could be passed over for head coaching positions, just as he was last offseason. The fact that Bieniemy cannot be hired until the Chiefs’ playoff run has concluded is a factor working against him. If the Chiefs were to reach the Super Bowl again, any team wanting to hire Bieniemy may have to wait another month to install him as head coach. That’s valuable prep and evaluation time lost.

A source also told Florio that Bieniemy is being picky about his career choices. He has reportedly privately said that he will remain with Kansas City until the perfect job opportunity comes along.

There are reports that Bieniemy has a strong preference for one team in the hiring process. NFL rules may be working against him, in spite of the fact that five teams have sought to interview him.

I wonder who the one team is?

6 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

This is interesting. EB has choices and I guess he can afford to be picky. He has probably learned that the head coach success is tied to a QB.

Does he really have choices or is there only one choice which he doesn't like?  Hard to imagine not taking a HC job if offered.  Would a team tell EB that they want him but can't wait until the Chiefs are out of the playoffs?  If they really want him, they can make do for a few weeks. 

On 1/11/2021 at 9:31 AM, xen said:

More importantly, am I a bad person for wanting the draft picks over the coach?  Or is that my EBDS talking from my 5th down trauma?

Nope. We still have Reid who can take a loss of an OC any day. Getting those extra picks are huge for it. If anything keep churning out guys like EB and get the picks.

My question is.. why not settle with the Chiefs for a few more years? 

You’re working with a humble owner, the best fan base, the best head coach, the best QB, and one of the most affordable big cities in the country. Not to mention winning a couple more Super Bowls. 

Head coaches get tossed like a spec of dust when they don’t succeed. And it’s very tough to succeed. 

In 3 years he might not have a job. 

8 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

My question is.. why not settle with the Chiefs for a few more years? 

You’re working with a humble owner, the best fan base, the best head coach, the best QB, and one of the most affordable big cities in the country. 

Head coaches get tossed like a spec of dust when they don’t succeed. And it’s very tough to succeed. 

In 3 years he might not have a job. 

you dont plan on being successful do you?

Its easy you need to strike when your Iron is Hot. in a few more years shit happens and all of a sudden your not a hot commodity any more because A Teams are tired of asking and getting denied or B for whatever reason the offense goes to average and you dont look like the boy genius anymore

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

you dont plan on being successful do you?

Its easy you need to strike when your Iron is Hot. in a few more years shit happens and all of a sudden your not a hot commodity any more because A Teams are tired of asking and getting denied or B for whatever reason the offense goes to average and you dont look like the boy genius anymore

Yeah you turn down too many offers and teams quit asking.  Just ask Josh McDaniels.  Couple of weird scenarios and a down season and you're no longer at the top of the list.

There is something respectable about a guy who has a simple outlook and wants to be the best they can but never want to be the head coach. I don’t know that EB is that guy, but not everyone wants to be the boss. But if he does, I hope he gets his shot. I think the crap franchises often hire too fast. While someone may land Andy Reid they more likely land Adam Gase. Most coaches probably last less than 5 years. I’d prefer the NFL have a hiring freeze until February. It seems unfair to mess with playoff teams as crap teams look to hire the next failure.

12 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

There is something respectable about a guy who has a simple outlook and wants to be the best they can but never want to be the head coach. I don’t know that EB is that guy, but not everyone wants to be the boss. But if he does, I hope he gets his shot. I think the crap franchises often hire too fast. While someone may land Andy Reid they more likely land Adam Gase. Most coaches probably last less than 5 years. I’d prefer the NFL have a hiring freeze until February. It seems unfair to mess with playoff teams as crap teams look to hire the next failure.

well if he wasn't "that guy" why the hell would he interview in the first place?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he gets passed over again.  The narrative is going to be he couldn't start being the coach for a couple weeks and that is attractive to teams.   But lets get real, a top 10 potential coach is worth waiting for especially when the good ones last 10-15 years.   I have a feeling the guy doesn't interview super well and most teams still have doubts about who is the real mind behind our offense.   I personally think he would make a wonderful coach even if he doesn't quite have the offensive mind of Reid.   

Hope I'm dead wrong but it doesn't sound like any team is hot on his trail.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he gets passed over again.  The narrative is going to be he couldn't start being the coach for a couple weeks and that is attractive to teams.   But lets get real, a top 10 potential coach is worth waiting for especially when the good ones last 10-15 years.   I have a feeling the guy doesn't interview super well and most teams still have doubts about who is the real mind behind our offense.   I personally think he would make a wonderful coach even if he doesn't quite have the offensive mind of Reid.   

I'd say you are spot on.. in his radio interviews he is hard to listen to he'll use "at the end of the day" ad nauseum and other that Pederson's brief success and rapid failure and Nagy's "meh" coaching job I think there is serious doubt  to the OC's real qualifications

Has anybody hired anybody?  Seems a little early to write him off for any position yet. 

There’s no doubt Andy is the brains behind the offense. 

EB has the fire in him to get a team going. He’s excellent in that department. 

But does he have what it takes to create, gameplan, analyze, and delegate. He can motivate, that’s for sure.