Texans don’t interview EB

7 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Is a month a lot of lost time when you are hiring Dan Campbell, Adam Gase, Hue Jackson types? If you hire the wrong guy just for the sake of hiring someone fast, you just flushed at least one year down the drain.

There's always the possibility of missing out on the better candidate, because the guy doesn't want to join or other teams picks them up, etc. I don't understand how guys like Gase or Jackson regularly find gigs but availability seems to be "sexy" for some GMs/owners I guess. 

At the end of the day it's the media trying to drive who they think should be hired and their reasons for it. But it's when you sit down in a room, look a person in the eye and talk with them that matters. Maybe EB has a ton of charisma and passion but lacks in other key points required to lead an entire team, who knows. But I don't think everything is a conspiracy when the media doesn't get the results they feel are correct. No idea why Gase keeps getting chances, he may just be a brilliant bullshiter. Just can't imagine an entity not trying to put the best person in the position to create a winning atmosphere, too much money on the line. And some franchises just suck and have for decades. 

Listening to EB talk in front of cameras is a pretty good insight into how he would come across in an interview.   I used to think that narrative could have wings but Dan Campbell made me realize that is a load of crap.   I don’t think he interviews badly but he does seem like a straight forward guy and maybe he realized (from what he has seen in KC) that it takes everyone working together to get results and most of these orgs are dysfunctional and it would surprise me if he didn’t call that out.   Sometimes know it all owners don’t like to be called to the carpet on their ignorance or stupidity.   

He will get a job eventually and I hope it’s a great situation.  It’s worth waiting for the right situation even if it takes 3 years.

My guess is the Texans are going to be forced to hire him or Watsons gone.   I see the FO sticking with him through the lean years and then when t he y get picks and money if he hasn’t done more than Bob did they will scapegoat him.   

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, no matter who the Houston Texans hire as their fourth full-time coach in team history, Watson is still expected to want out of Houston.

The Texans have two coaching candidates narrowed down in Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, both of whom square off against one another in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game at Arrowhead Stadium.

If the ESPN report is true, the Texans could hire Bieniemy, who Watson favors, and he would still want to leave the organization because of the friction that began after the hiring of Nick Caserio as general manager.

1 hour ago, xen said:

If I'm EB i don't even look at Houston without Watson.

Out of emojis, but I agree.  Stinks too because that extra 3rd this year and next would go a long way towards fixing some depth holes we have.  Oh well...keeping the band together for another year isn't a bad thing either.

For the second consecutive year, the Chiefs’ high-scoring offense is in the Super Bowl. For the second consecutive year, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy is earning praise for his job at the helm of that offense. And for the second consecutive year, Bieniemy has been shut out of head-coaching jobs.

The news that the Texans hired David Culley to be their next head coach means that Bieniemy, who interviewed for all seven coaching vacancies this offseason, has been shut out again.

There was a sense from early in the offseason that Bieniemy would get passed over. No one disputes that he has all the credentials to get called up to a head-coaching job, and yet he still hasn’t.

Reaching the Super Bowl may have actually hurt Bieniemy’s chances. NFL teams aren’t allowed to hire coaches off another team’s staff until that team’s season is over, and teams sometimes decide not to wait for a coach in the Super Bowl. Bieniemy acknowledged last week that his primary focus has been on the Chiefs, not career advancement.

“It’s always good to be mentioned and have an opportunity to pursue your dreams. And obviously, yes, I do want to be a head coach,” Bieniemy said. “But when it’s all said and done with, my job is to make sure everything that we’re doing right now is not to take away from the goals we’re trying to accomplish. The only thing that matters [is] today we got better.”

Bieniemy’s focus remains on the Super Bowl, the game he keeps reaching while he keeps getting shut out of head coaching jobs.

I wasn't surprised to see EB passed over last year as a single season is rarely enough to be seen as a solid HC candidate but I was expecting him to get a job this time around. I guess teams are no longer buying into the idea of Reid OCs as they have relatively less influence. 

Would be awesome to promote Kafka and grab a couple picks in the process but we may end up getting the short end of the stick with Kafka leaving for an OC gig. 

I think the hardest part for teams is you really don't know how a guy will do, until he gets the chance, and does it. 

Andy Reid wasn't an OC before he got hired by the Eagles. He coached Oline, TE's, and of course QB's. Maybe having that diverse coaching background helped him.  Bieniemy has mainly coached running backs, but was an OC for a brief stint in college.

The difference between Nagy & Peterson vs. Bieniemy is they coached QB's. Not sure how much bearing that has, but it must be something, since Kafka's name has been floated around a lot, and I hadn't heard of him until Mahomes started full time. 

I thought this discussion with Tony Dungy was interesting. What Dungy talks about specifically, not Florio. 

5 minutes ago, yanake said:

So should EB quit the OC job in KC and take another OC job somewhere else?  A place where he can also show his ability to develop a young QB?  Would Houston be that job?  

He shouldn't have to do that.   I mean D. Culley coached wr's for a team who set a record for 0 wr TD's in an entire season and coached a team that lost because they couldn't throw the ball.    Not saying he shouldn't get his shot, but EB has done far more than that.   Wouldn't surprise me if Watson didn't warn EB that he wanted out regardless if EB got hired.   If I was EB I wouldn't want that job.   Overcap, no picks and star qb is forcing himself out.     

8 minutes ago, yanake said:

So should EB quit the OC job in KC and take another OC job somewhere else?  A place where he can also show his ability to develop a young QB?  Would Houston be that job?  

interesting question but it is a lateral move in which I'm not sure the NFL would approve of unless EB got fired and you know that aint gonna happen..now if EB  "retired" for a year and lets say Kafka (sp?) took over that might work for him  but the chiefs would not get  the extra draft picks for him ... thats an awfully big risk

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

interesting question but it is a lateral move in which I'm not sure the NFL would approve of unless EB got fired and you know that aint gonna happen..now if EB  "retired" for a year and lets say Kafka (sp?) took over that might work for him  but the chiefs would not get  the extra draft picks for him ... thats an awfully big risk

All y’all are worried about Kafka but Andy has done this many times. I would have liked those picks but we are returning the entire offensive staff.  That’s a big time win and if we win next Sunday we could do something truly historic and attempt a three peat in the NFL and go down as the greatest if not one of the greatest teams of all time.   Someone will wait for EB if that happens, because half the coaches hired this year over him will be on the hot seat next year. 

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/07/kansas-city-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-contract-2021-expiration-extension/?fbclid=IwAR3Te7Mr8uEnFKijX-zizdw16TZKMQgR7r_bm53fpvfzlykl25gAqqFpcMY

Report: Chiefs eyeing new contract for OC Eric Bieniemy

The rest of the NFL might be hesitant to hire Eric Bieniemy, but the Kansas City Chiefs won’t bat an eye when it comes to signing him to a new deal.

Bieniemy’s current contract is set to expire following the conclusion of the 2020 NFL season, making him a free agent and able to sign elsewhere. But according to a new report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Chiefs intend to work out a new deal with Bieniemy.

Tonight is probably the exact reason EB wasn't hired as a HC. He's not a difference maker.  Either one, he can't game plan with a damn because tonight's strategy was shit, or two,  Reid calls it all and EB is along for the ride.  Tonight demonstrated he sucks or is irrelevant in the scheme of things. 

13 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Tonight is probably the exact reason EB wasn't hired as a HC. He's not a difference maker.  Either one, he can't game plan with a damn because tonight's strategy was shit, or two,  Reid calls it all and EB is along for the ride.  Tonight demonstrated he sucks or is irrelevant in the scheme of things. 

Cant argue with you..The game plan was absolute shit.