Concussion Protocol

Return-To-Participation Protocol

Every NFL player diagnosed with a concussion must follow a five-step process before being cleared to fully practice or participate in an NFL game. This process, developed from internationally accepted guidelines, ensures that each player receives consistent treatment.

Each player and each concussion is unique, and there is no set time-frame for return to participation. Team medical staff consider the player's current concussive injury, as well as past exposures and medical history, family history and future risk in managing a player's care.

After a player has progressed through the five-step process, and is cleared for full participation by his club physician, he must be seen and separately cleared by an Independent Neurological Consultant (INC), jointly approved by the NFL and NFLPA, who is not affiliated with any NFL club. Until cleared by this independent physician, a player may not return to contact practice or play in an NFL game.

I know that this is always in hindsight and this could’ve happened on Mahomes touchdown run, and I know that this is a playoff game where the game was close, but I absolutely hate quarterback runs when you’re just trying to get 1 yard and maintain possession.I hate quarterbacks sneaks, too.

Again, I know this is in hindsight, but I would’ve said the same thing before. I am the type who doesn’t like the NBA players participating in the Olympics qualification rounds, even though I know a player can get injured by slipping in the shower.

It’s like when Smith doesn’t go out of bounds and gets hit instead. Have your running backs get the yards unless it’s a and a designed scramble or on first and where you can protect yourself by sliding.

I know that Mahomes will do everything he can to come back this next game. He’s young and it wasn’t a helmet to helmet (?). Or at least I didn’t see it in the low lights.

I know everyone is different, but I coach high school and a few years ago had a player react like MVPat.  He was held out of the game because of the initial body language and the on field medic could not in good conscience rule out a concussion.  However, when examined by a doctor, that night, a concussion was ruled out.  The doctor explained that it was like a boxer who is momentarily knocked out but not concussed.  Not saying this is Patrick's case, but we can hope. 

3 minutes ago, jgriff3029 said:

I know everyone is different, but I coach high school and a few years ago had a player react like MVPat.  He was held out of the game because of the initial body language and the on field medic could not in good conscience rule out a concussion.  However, when examined by a doctor, that night, a concussion was ruled out.  The doctor explained that it was like a boxer who is momentarily knocked out but not concussed.  Not saying this is Patrick's case, but we can hope. 

Yup. Reid eluded to something similar to this in  his presser

1 minute ago, jgriff3029 said:

I get your point, but when facing a definite injury, isn't a minor injury better than a major injury?

guess it depends on the type of injury

when I played, brain injuries were called "getting your bell rung"

but that was 50 years ago

science has advanced... apparently

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I feel so much better about the Bills game now that I've read the expert opinions of those close to the problem.  😉

Came from jay glazier. I believe it. And he was trying to come back in the game. Multiple reports.

Just now, Calichief said:

Came from jay glazier. I believe it. And he was trying to come back in the game. Multiple reports.

Yeah, I know.  Just got a little amused reading posts about Pat when it's all still speculation.  The way he ran off the field was encouraging.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, I know.  Just got a little amused reading posts about Pat when it's all still speculation.  The way he ran off the field was encouraging.

He was tweeting right away. Andy usually keeps it real. For him to say he was GOOD says a lot imo.