Concussion Protocol

3 hours ago, jgriff3029 said:

I know everyone is different, but I coach high school and a few years ago had a player react like MVPat.  He was held out of the game because of the initial body language and the on field medic could not in good conscience rule out a concussion.  However, when examined by a doctor, that night, a concussion was ruled out.  The doctor explained that it was like a boxer who is momentarily knocked out but not concussed.  Not saying this is Patrick's case, but we can hope. 

Let us hope it is this.   I know I'm biased but it really does appear this could be that.  

20 minutes ago, qnet said:

That's a good explanation. Daboll, like Glazer; must be into MMA.

Kinda weird how that happened.

But if that happened why did they rule it a concussion and he couldn't come back?  I'm no doctor so hoping there is a legit explanation but it would seem once consciousness is regained and he was in the lockeroom he wouldn't have the same symptoms or was it a little of both.  Choke out and whiplash?   I just pray he's good to go next week! 

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

But if that happened why did they rule it a concussion and he couldn't come back?  I'm no doctor so hoping there is a legit explanation but it would seem once consciousness is regained and he was in the lockeroom he wouldn't have the same symptoms or was it a little of both.  Choke out and whiplash?   I just pray he's good to go next week! 

Maybe to be safe? Because of his reaction and looking like a new born Bambi on his feet they erred on the safe side?

4 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I'm not totally sure either. From my understanding, once they think the player has a concussion they take no chances anymore. Playing it safe, like kkuenn just said.

He did look pretty out of it when he stood up, so that scared them. 

27 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Yeah I'm not sure if how he was ruled out absolutely means he had a concussion.  I think he was probably out according to the protocol the moment he got up woozy, whatever the actual reason was.

This 

I have really looked at the mechanism of injury hard.  I did not see a violent helmet to helmet.  I also looks like the frontal part of his brain impacted and it was not direct. I did not see the dreaded head bounce on the turf.  Seems like either the ball or the players arm cushioned the fall.  I do see the headlock the player had him in and when looking at martial arts video on Brachial Stun technique  I can see where this is more the likely causation.  He is hit on the neck hard, put in kind of a headlock and it seems like he kind of of goes limp like an instant knocklout.  This  Lasts a bit of time.  Enough that it looks like a concussion, like a someone who is stunned , but not concussed.  I can see where a neurologist could not rule out a concussion based on how he initially acted and that it would be really bad optics to have seen him go back into the game.  There would have been an incredible amount of scrutiny placed on that call, especially if he is ruled as having a concussion a day or two later,  so I think the decision was made before they even looked at him.  There had to be indisputable evidence that he was not concussed and they simply could not do it at that time.

That being said,  all reports coming out seem to be consistent that he is ok and things look positive.  I think he gets cleared pretty quickly. 

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/kansas-city-chiefs/monday-morning-update-on-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes

Monday Morning Update On Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes on Sunday.KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - DECEMBER 27: Patrick Mahomes #15 of the Kansas City Chiefs looks to pass against the Atlanta Falcons during the third quarter at Arrowhead Stadium on December 27, 2020 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

Patrick Mahomes left the AFC Divisional Round game against the Cleveland Browns early with what was initially viewed as a potential concussion. But the Monday morning update on the Kansas City Chiefs QB bodes well for Championship Weekend.

According to Carrington Harrison of CBS Sports in Kansas City, a source inside the organization revealed that Mahomes passed all of his tests after the game. Per the report, Mahomes didn’t actually hit his head as we all thought.

Rather, Mahomes tweaked a nerve in his neck that “made him out of it.” He got subsequent tests done on his neck and the nerve and passed them all.

Based on how the play that took him out of the game looked, it was tough to tell if he did, in fact, hit his head. But the way he got up – or struggled to – after the play in question was extremely concerning to viewers at home.

Mahomes will likely play this week and we didn't lose the game with him out so this should simply be a great wake up call that helps the Chiefs both in the short and the long run assuming Mahomes doesn't have any lingering issues from the hit. Mahomes is very competitive and will do whatever it takes to win, which includes risking himself but we are always one play away from losing out and should remember that we might have the best QB but he's still human and has some physical limitations.