Patrick's Health Thread

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

It might have 7 points but there was plenty of time left for Mahomes to get in FG range.  We had a to and a minute.   I agree that Dan’s hit was probably illegal according to the letter of the law but it wasn’t a dirty play.   Furthermore Hunts dropping of the helmet on HB was far more egregious and dangerous as it was head on and that my friend would have probably ended their TD drive.   If we are dissecting plays that shouldhave been called by the letter of the law then both were missed.  One missed call per each team.

True.

The latest on the status of Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes heading into the AFC Championship Game includes a little bit of good and a little bit of bad news.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes, who was ruled out of Sunday’s game against the Browns, has cleared “some big steps” in the NFL’s concussion protocol. He does, however, still remain in the NFL’s concussion protocol. That means it’s still too early to make the determination on whether he’ll play against the Buffalo Bills in the AFC title game.

Schefter also reports that Mahomes is dealing with a foot injury. Andy Reid mentioned on Monday that he believed that the toe injury wouldn’t be an issue. It’s unclear if this indicates it’ll be more of an issue than initially expected.

Mahomes still needs to clear the NFL’s return-to-participation protocols, but the fact that he’s expected to practice on Wednesday suggests that he’s already made his way through the first few phases. He could very well be approaching the final steps on Wednesday that would determine his availability for the AFC title game. Remember, Mahomes needs to be cleared by an independent neurologist in addition to Rick Burkholder and the Chiefs’ training staff.

We’ll learn his practice participation tomorrow afternoon when Chiefs HC Andy Reid speaks with the media. If he’s limited it’s possible that it’ll have more to do with the foot injury than the concussion protocol. Whatever the case, it doesn’t seem like it’ll be too long before we officially know Mahomes’ status for the AFC title game against the Bills.

The optimist in me reads the Adam S post as meaning he’s passed phase 1,2 and possibly 3 already.  Meaning he has two more to clear this week.  
The pessimist in me reads it as he passed phases 1 and 2 and must pass the three hardest phases in consecutive days with only Saturday as a final day to clear the protocol.   I also believe he got a mild concussion.

Here is hoping for a miraculous recovery.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Sorry, Xen. That's has to be bullshit.  You don't get up woozy with a loss of balance from a pinched nerve in your neck.  You get up grimacing. Plus, if it hurts froma pinched nerve, it is due to a crack in a vertebral foramen that the nerve passes through, in which case he would need surgery.  He was up and practicing.  NOT a "pinched nerve."  That's just a colloquial expression anyway, for a neck "stinger."  When you get up woozy, you have seen stars.  It is a concussion.  Probably mild. I hope he continues to show no cognitive changes or loss of balance for the next three days in a row.  If he passes that, he will play on Sunday.

Plus...I saw the front of his head bounce off the turf on the replay.

Look closer bro it doesn't bounce cause the ball is under his chest.  The current thought is he basically got choked out.  Not that that’s much better.  Fwiw he's far enough along in protocol now the lyrics are thinking he might hit step 4 tomorrow and practice.

44 minutes ago, xen said:

Look closer bro it doesn't bounce cause the ball is under his chest.  The current thought is he basically got choked out.  Not that that’s much better.  Fwiw he's far enough along in protocol now the lyrics are thinking he might hit step 4 tomorrow and practice.

Obviously I’m no doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express or whatever hotel chain magically turned me into on.   When I read the protocols I was hoping that his practicing meant he cleared the first 3 which would give him a little leeway before Sunday.  Hope you are right and reading it correctly.

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

Obviously I’m no doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express or whatever hotel chain magically turned me into on.   When I read the protocols I was hoping that his practicing meant he cleared the first 3 which would give him a little leeway before Sunday.  Hope you are right and reading it correctly.

We'll see.  Hell just because he didn't hit his head hard also doesn't mean he doesn't have a concussion either, so who knows.  Bill's could be exactly correct and he is a doctor after all.  Hell he could have whiplash for all we know.  Signs seem to be pointing to a quick recovery whatever happened, but an independent doctor has to sign off still so who knows.

I'm wondering how Reid is approaching things. Probably working on two game plans for both situations. Knowing him he probably has some things built in for these type of scenarios, given his experiences with different QB's.

2 hours ago, xen said:

It makes no difference if the ball was under his chest.  As he was hit with the ball under his chest, his head was bumped forward and hit the turf on the front of his head and bounced just slightly.  That's what I saw, but I haven't seen the replay since the end of the game.  I could be wrong.  BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by "choked out." I'm not familiar with the term.   Also, I was reading about the concussion protocol required by the NFL. His first check (test for memory and balance) was yesterday and was normal.  But sometimes, abnormalities can appear days later. So, the protocol requires that he be negative on the same test for four consecutive days.  He feels fine and is practicing in a limited way, but he would need to have had another normal test today, Wednesday, and Thursday.  If those are still normal, then he is clear for a full practice and to play on Sunday. If he is seen to have any abnormality on any of those days, he is out. Fingers crossed.

i just watched the replay on Youtube and slowed it down as much as i could...his helmet never makes contact with the ground (but it was pretty damn close) but as he was coming down the combo of the defenders arm around his neck and the ball impacting the ground and what looked like his upper chest to neck area definitely had a lot to do with it

6 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

i just watched the replay on Youtube and slowed it down as much as i could...his helmet never makes contact with the ground (but it was pretty damn close) but as he was coming down the combo of the defenders arm around his neck and the ball impacting the ground and what looked like his upper chest to neck area definitely had a lot to do with it

You don't lose balance and orientation from  5 seconds of not breathing. I can hold my breath for more than 30 seconds without even getting light headed.  He was concussed.  Otherwise, he wouldn't be in protocol. He was wobbling and unable to stand.  If there had been some kind of neck and chest injury, he would have been grimacing, I wouild think. I trust the docs.

17 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You don't lose balance and orientation from  5 seconds of not breathing. I can hold my breath for more than 30 seconds without even getting light headed.  He was concussed.  Otherwise, he wouldn't be in protocol. He was wobbling and unable to stand.  If there had been some kind of neck and chest injury, he would have been grimacing, I wouild think. I trust the docs.

maybe his head shifted in his helmet?

A pinched nerve and loss of blood along with that and you can lose it. Not a matter of not breathing. If you have ever done MMA it does not take much with the right choke hold.

I can hold my breath for more than 30 seconds without even getting light headed.

holding your breath doesn't stop your heart from pumping blood

constricting the carotid immediately stops blood flow

the 'choked out' deal comes from MMA athletes who sometimes get their opponents down and win by getting them in a choke hold, causing them to black out

now, I'm not saying this happened to PM... I'm just saying that holding your breath is not the same as getting choked out

also, a person can get woozy, or lose their balance simply by standing up too fast from a lying or kneeling position... I know this because it's happened to me while setting tiles

Youve never been choked out i see.  There aint no 30 seconds about it. 

44 minutes ago, mex said:

holding your breath doesn't stop your heart from pumping blood

constricting the carotid immediately stops blood flow

the 'choked out' deal comes from MMA athletes who sometimes get their opponents down and win by getting them in a choke hold, causing them to black out

now, I'm not saying this happened to PM... I'm just saying that holding your breath is not the same as getting choked out

also, a person can get woozy, or lose their balance simply by standing up too fast from a lying or kneeling position... I know this because it's happened to me while setting tiles

I see what you are saying.  Rather than airway cutoff, you are talking about compression of both carotid arteries. Yea, that would do it in a hurry.  It is a bit hard for me to see how that would be possible with a person wearing a helmet, neck collar, and face mask.  That would be a hell of a task.  And Mex, you are not a 25 year old  athlete getting up from the turf in 40 degree weather during a game with all kinds of adrenalin support.  Its not the same as an "old" guy standing up suddenly in the heat after being stooped over for God knows how long working on tile and forgetting to drink enough water.