this helps Cap wise

The Kansas City Chiefs are getting some much-needed salary-cap relief by rolling over cap space into the 2021 NFL season.

ESPN analyst Field Yates shared a list of all NFL cap space rollovers from 2020 to 2021. According to his numbers, the Chiefs will roll over just under $5.1 million in salary-cap space to the 2021 NFL season. This number is subject to change per Yates as the NFL has yet to audit these amounts to include incentives and cap credits from 2020. This number operates as a rough estimate of what the Chiefs will get toward their 2021 salary cap.

Remember, the NFL salary cap for the 2021 season has a floor of $175 million due to profit losses related to the COVID-19 pandemic. That’s $23.2 million less than the 2020 salary cap. The decrease puts a big strain on teams who planned to have over $200 million in cap space to work with for 2021.

Depending on where you get your information, the Chiefs are currently listed as $17-18 million over the projected $175 million salary cap total. There are some new reports suggesting that the projected cap number for the league will be closer to $180 million. No matter the case, rolling over this cap space helps Kansas City.

Chiefs GM Brett Veach will still need to work on some cost-cutting measures over the offseason given the lower salary cap number. He’ll look into things like extensions, restructures and roster cuts in order to free up enough space to get the team under the cap, but this helps lessen the burden. We can also assume that K.C. probably won’t be overly active in free agency, beyond retaining a few pieces on ERFA or RFA contracts. They should have no problem finding the rest of the space necessary to get themselves under the cap.

Schwartz alone should get them down to the cap.   But we only have like 36 players on the roster and still have the draft class to pay for.  I know Veach can nice stuff around but we probably won’t be spenders in FA more than just a mid tier wr or OL.   Thankfully we have quite a few solid players that are restricted fa and can be brought back cheap like Ward and other fas like Sorensen who should be cheap.   Glad we got a great cap manipulating GM to navigate it.

This could be a really bad time to be a FA.  3/4 the teams are limited by cap issues so I'd expect a number of one year deals.  If Osemele can recover, he might be a good signing.  Taco was the best edge opposite Clark before he went down.  Sammy will come much cheaper.  Breeland is probably out of range for the Chiefs.  I'd let Ward walk if the Chiefs can draft a replacement because he's apparently peaked at an inconsistent level.  Cut Wilson.  Cut Sorenson and draft his replacement.  Cut Okafor.  Doesn't Schwartz only save about $6-7 million?  Reiter gone. 

36 minutes ago, jetlord said:

This could be a really bad time to be a FA.  3/4 the teams are limited by cap issues so I'd expect a number of one year deals.  If Osemele can recover, he might be a good signing.  Taco was the best edge opposite Clark before he went down.  Sammy will come much cheaper.  Breeland is probably out of range for the Chiefs.  I'd let Ward walk if the Chiefs can draft a replacement because he's apparently peaked at an inconsistent level.  Cut Wilson.  Cut Sorenson and draft his replacement.  Cut Okafor.  Doesn't Schwartz only save about $6-7 million?  Reiter gone. 

Can’t cut Wilson he is a FA.   Okafor got reworked to be a fa next year but we are still on the hook for 2 million.   Sorensen is a fa.  I would definitely bring back Ward as he is a RFA and would only cost like 3 million.  Would be hard to find someone better who knows the system.   Remember next year is a potential three peat year.  I agree about Breeland but I don’t think he is getting much elsewhere so maybe we can choose between Ward or Breeland for cheap.   If we tender Ward at a 2nd rounder then it’s 3 million but it’s like 1.8 if we tender him at his original round.   EB getting a job helps this team so much with those extra picks.    I forgot about Taco and you are right he would be a great signing and maybe that buys you a year from using a top pick.  Gonna be so much fun if we win it again this year!

24 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Can’t cut Wilson he is a FA.   Okafor got reworked to be a fa next year but we are still on the hook for 2 million.   Sorensen is a fa.  I would definitely bring back Ward as he is a RFA and would only cost like 3 million.  Would be hard to find someone better who knows the system.   Remember next year is a potential three peat year.  I agree about Breeland but I don’t think he is getting much elsewhere so maybe we can choose between Ward or Breeland for cheap.   If we tender Ward at a 2nd rounder then it’s 3 million but it’s like 1.8 if we tender him at his original round.   EB getting a job helps this team so much with those extra picks.    I forgot about Taco and you are right he would be a great signing and maybe that buys you a year from using a top pick.  Gonna be so much fun if we win it again this year!

Don't forget about DeAndre "floppy leg" Baker. I think we control his rights. But I cant confirm. 

Xen!!!!

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Schwartz alone should get them down to the cap.   But we only have like 36 players on the roster and still have the draft class to pay for.  I know Veach can nice stuff around but we probably won’t be spenders in FA more than just a mid tier wr or OL.   Thankfully we have quite a few solid players that are restricted fa and can be brought back cheap like Ward and other fas like Sorensen who should be cheap.   Glad we got a great cap manipulating GM to navigate it.

Schwartz restructured his deal last summer making it fully guaranteed except for a couple million for 2021. 

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Don't forget about DeAndre "floppy leg" Baker. I think we control his rights. But I cant confirm. 

Xen!!!!

Yes we control his rights since he doesn't have the accrued years for unrestricted free agency.

You must have 4 accrued years to hit unrestricted free agency.  Takes 6 games to get an accrued year so this year won't count for Baker.  Chiefs will have control of rights for 3 years if they want it.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Yes we control his rights since he doesn't have the accrued years for unrestricted free agency.

You must have 4 accrued years to hit unrestricted free agency.  Takes 6 games to get an accrued year so this year won't count for Baker.  Chiefs will have control of rights for 3 years if they want it.

Hes gonna be a stud. I can feel it. He looked confident and capable out there. Huge pickup. If Breeland walks this kid has the pedigree and upside to start opposite Sneed or Ward. He should be expected to be a starter based on where he was drafted and his play in college.

10 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Xen!!!!

Oh yeah that is right!   Such a big find by Veach and it looks like he will be ready for camp!   If Veach can keep doing this Mahomes contract won't have the devastating effects so many non chiefs fans were hopefully for. 

JMHO, but Ward is NOT the answer at CB.  If anything, he's regressed into chasing plays, not locating the ball, and being inconsistent.  He makes a few plays, but I have nightmares of him trying to cover elite receivers.  Baker, Fenton, and Sneed are a start, but the Chiefs need at least one more and BoPete isn't close to ready.  It wouldn't be disappointing if they drafted a CB in the first round if the right one falls to them.