We Goin Superbowl

22 hours ago, azchief21 said:

LJ and Mahomes being mentioned in a Super Bowl thread. Let's look ahead to Super Bowl Sunday:

Please try to follow along...the conversation was about TE's and why I said Andrews doesn't get as many opportunities as other TE's like Kelce. I said Kelce was the best TE in the NFL because Kittle can't stay healthy and Andrews  plays in power run offense. Maybe I should have written "The Chiefs threw xxx passes" and the "The Ravens threw yyy passes" but I thought Chiefs fans were the smartest on the planet? I guess not.

It was not a comparison between PM and LJ. There is none.

23 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Missed what you said about the OL because of the typo in your capitalization.  "Marginally better" is a gross undersell.  The consensus is that Green Bay had a top offensive line (at least before the LT injury), while KC's is average at best.

Rodgers was sacked 5 times in the Postseason.

Mahomes has been sacked 1 time for 0 yds lost in the Postseason.

that says something.

48 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Please try to follow along...the conversation was about TE's and why I said Andrews doesn't get as many opportunities as other TE's like Kelce. I said Kelce was the best TE in the NFL because Kittle can't stay healthy and Andrews  plays in power run offense. Maybe I should have written "The Chiefs threw xxx passes" and the "The Ravens threw yyy passes" but I thought Chiefs fans were the smartest on the planet? I guess not.

Saw LJ and Mahomes in a "We goin Super Bowl" thread and made a picture of LJ, since he's mentioned, watching Mahomes on TV because, you know, We goin Super Bowl. I thought I was keeping up with the thread. When I see a thread about TE opportunities,  I'll put my photo in there. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Rodgers was sacked 5 times in the Postseason.

Mahomes has been sacked 1 time for 0 yds lost in the Postseason.

that says something.

"Sacks in the postseason" is a very cherry-picked stat in this case.  It says two things.

First, it says the Packers LT was injured at the end of the regular season (which I already mentioned).

But second and more importantly, it's well-understood in the analytics community that actually taking the sack (rather than, say, pressures or hits) has a lot to do with the QB and not just the line.  Also Patrick has a career sack rate of 3.8%, Aaron is at 6.6%. More anecdotal proof of this is that Alex Smith's career rate is 7.7%.  It was 6.5% in 2017, while Patrick's was 4.3% the next year  That drop of a third had more to do with Patrick than a change in the line.

It's not a perfect stat, but in terms of advanced player tracking stats, for the regular season GB was #1 in both pass and run block win rate.  KC was #6 for the pass and #31 for the run.  If you have any other more comprehensive stats feel free to share them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings#pbwrteam

16 hours ago, KCSLC2008 said:

I thought I posted this yesterday. I guess not.

It's a nice point, but it's not like you can do anything about the "Mahomes effect." Teams have been trying to find elite quarterbacks in the draft for decades and they are rare birds. A better overall complete team can still win it all, that doesn't change. Plus, in time the cap can neuter us or our elite skill players retire or are too expensive to find and maybe we missed on picks to replace. 

Eli wasn't a better QB than Brady and he still won because his team was better. It's one thing to pick a QB with a high ceiling and hope to develop them,  but to scrap your average starter in the hope someone else can do better is high risk. We did it perfectly with having Smith here. To me, that was the perfect model same as the Favre/Rogers approach. Only way it works. 

30 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

It's a nice point, but it's not like you can do anything about the "Mahomes effect." Teams have been trying to find elite quarterbacks in the draft for decades and they are rare birds. A better overall complete team can still win it all, that doesn't change. Plus, in time the cap can neuter us or our elite skill players retire or are too expensive to find and maybe we missed on picks to replace. 

Eli wasn't a better QB than Brady and he still won because his team was better. It's one thing to pick a QB with a high ceiling and hope to develop them,  but to scrap your average starter in the hope someone else can do better is high risk. We did it perfectly with having Smith here. To me, that was the perfect model same as the Favre/Rogers approach. Only way it works. 

Do you really think the Chiefs took a risk in drafting Mahommes?  They had an average or better starter who won 10 games/season yet knew they'd reached their peak with him.  It wasn't a risk to grab who they judged to be the best even though it cost future picks.  Rather than a risk, I'd say it's mandatory that teams upgrade a QB unless they believe their current QB is on the upswing towards elite status.  All eight teams in the divisional rounds had QBs who were either in the MVP conversation or probable future HOF candidates with the possible exception of Goff who had a super year a couple of seasons ago and was injured.  QB is the name of the game and any team hoping to reach the top better find a top prospect.  

Mahomes was definitely a risk, just the right one.  We were already a division winner with a solid if unspectacular QB.  Giving up 2 first round picks (2017 and 2018) for a guy who some had serious questions about risked backfiring both in terms of losing assets and disrupting team chemistry.  That's the definition of risk.

Now, if you're saying it was a risk we had to take in order to take the next step, then sure.  But that doesn't make it not a risk.

7 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

I think that Andrews doesn't get near enough national attention. He is probably half the Raven's passing game by himself. His game is similar to Kelce's in that he stretches the field, seems to have good instincts with finding creases in zone coverage and has very good hands. If the Ravens had more outside weapons he might approach Kelce's numbers. Not sure he has 87's wiggle but he's a more of a load to bring down too. Ravens got themselves a keeper there. 

14 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

I think that Andrews doesn't get near enough national attention. He is probably half the Raven's passing game by himself. His game is similar to Kelce's in that he stretches the field, seems to have good instincts with finding creases in zone coverage and has very good hands. If the Ravens had more outside weapons he might approach Kelce's numbers. Not sure he has 87's wiggle but he's a more of a load to bring down too. Ravens got themselves a keeper there. 

I agree. Not surer why they traded Hayden Hurst away- they were a good combo.

19 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

That would require being able to pass outside the hashes so probably wouldn't matter

20 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

Just imagine if they could have held on to Waller. Yikes. 

All this talk about running two TE in KC is a little silly because unless you have Kelce 2.0 its better to find a wr with better wiggle and ability to generate seperation, but the Ravens are the perfect team for that.   Their run first mentality makes it an advantage and yes if they had Waller they would be a nightmare even with LJ throwing the rock.   I look for the Ravens to invest in a top end wr similar to how the Bills did it to help LJ out.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

All this talk about running two TE in KC is a little silly because unless you have Kelce 2.0 its better to find a wr with better wiggle and ability to generate seperation, but the Ravens are the perfect team for that.   Their run first mentality makes it an advantage and yes if they had Waller they would be a nightmare even with LJ throwing the rock.   I look for the Ravens to invest in a top end wr similar to how the Bills did it to help LJ out.

Depends on the tight end.  If Kyle Pitts dropped for some weird reason... 

The last time Chiefs had a rookie WR actually contribute was in 2016 with Hill and with all of his physical advantages he was about 4-5 huge plays away from being yet another mediocre rookie WR. It's still nice to pick up a WR but I wouldn't waste any high pick on one. The return will likely be questionable in the first year and bigger needs simply make it a worse choice IMO.

TE on the other hand actually makes some sense. The most important thing about Kelce from a front-office standpoint is likely the fact that he had a micro fracture surgery which means he's closer to retirement due to a freak play than most other NFL players. So another TE who can be a decent #2 and may be take over after Kelce is probably a bigger need than a WR at this point.

I would still prioritize OL over any talent position. As seen with Colts & Luck, teams with franchise QBs cannot wait to invest in the OL as it may always be too late. Chiefs needs to eliminate the need to put Mahomes in risk for short yardage situations as well as find a way to give him a clean pocket as much as possible. However in terms of skill positions I would put TE way ahead of WR. With enough time Mahomes will make any NFL player a decent receiver and we'll have veterans coming in for much lower than their worth just to play with Mahomes.

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

That is unreal.  But, I just happened to stumble across this stat (don't know how I missed it before) and I thought it was much more impressive:

Yeah but that doesn't really tell us how we do against top 5 defenses.

4 hours ago, xen said:

As much as we are sometimes frustrated by Hardman and debate his ultimate long-term value to the team, it's awesome how the team supported him and went right back to him and let him make some plays.  Seems like a really great group of guys who really like and support each other.