What to do with Fisher?

If it’s a torn Achilles that is an 11 month recovery.  He is making a ton next year and he can be cut for a big savings.   I have not advocated for that but you can’t pay a man like what he gets paid to sit on the bench for the entire season.   LT might be our biggest need in the off-season.   I still good about the Sb but I would have felt a lot better with Fisher out there.  Just an interesting situation now that the injury took place so late in the season.   

I think its an obvious cut, he probably won’t be ready to play until age 32 and most likely never again. Hard to recover at 260ish pounds.

This team just can’t afford to tie up cap space into someone who will be out all year.

dude got a lot of negativity his way, but he was a solid LT for a long time.

I don’t look for shwartz to ever play again either

3 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I think its an obvious cut, he probably won’t be ready to play until age 32 and most likely never again. Hard to recover at 260ish pounds.

This team just can’t afford to tie up cap space into someone who will be out all year.

dude got a lot of negativity his way, but he was a solid LT for a long time.

I don’t look for shwartz to ever play again either

I saw you posted something similar yesterday. I have no idea why you think he wont ever play again. The Rams left tackle is almost 40 and tore his MCL and PCL in November. He started the playoff game against Seattle. Jared Veldheer started playoff games for 2 different (Fact check it) teams this year at 33.

Do I think we may release both for cap reasons? Absolutely. Clears almost 18 mill. Do I think their careers are over? No. 

I think OT just went straight to the top of our list of needs. And fortunately for us, it's a very deep LT class. 

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yes, I think we may have seen the last of our stud bookends. Very sad. We already had line issues to fix before losing those two. Now it’s going to be really tough.

Ironic part is we have internal options that could possibly be long term solutions on the interior. Rankin and Durant are absolutely guys that deserve a shot. They just weren't going to get those shots during the season because of Reids loyalty and commitment to continuity. And we are back in the SB, so its worked out. 

But I I think moving Allegretti over to center and giving Rankin a chance at LG and Durant a chance at RG could possibly immediately upgrade our interior 3. And Niang was a hell of a good RT in college. So its not like we are starting with completely empty cupboard. 

Letting Reiter and Wylie walk could be addition by subtraction. 

31 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Ironic part is we have internal options that could possibly be long term solutions on the interior. Rankin and Durant are absolutely guys that deserve a shot. They just weren't going to get those shots during the season because of Reids loyalty and commitment to continuity. And we are back in the SB, so its worked out. 

But I I think moving Allegretti over to center and giving Rankin a chance at LG and Durant a chance at RG could possibly immediately upgrade our interior 3. And Niang was a hell of a good RT in college. So its not like we are starting with completely empty cupboard. 

Letting Reiter and Wylie walk could be addition by subtraction. 

Don't forget the signing of Prince Tega Wogboho. He was a 2 1/2 year starter at LT for Auburn.  

4 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Don't forget the signing of Prince Tega Wogboho. He was a 2 1/2 year starter at LT for Auburn.  

Yeah thats a great pickup. But he is very raw from what I've read. His talent and upside definitely far exceeds his draft position. But there's always a reason why players fall. 

Reiter and Wylie should be gone for good. 

Other than that we have a whole bunch of prospects but none of them have proven to be starters at any level. Niang may be the top OL prospect we have on the roster and we don't even know where/if he'll be playing. The big issue for us is that a lot of teams have cap problems so a lot of veterans will opt to go for the 1-year vet minimum deal that pays them 3-4 times that number similar to what Robinson is getting from the Chiefs. So I don't see us signing any decent FAs unless someone is chasing a ring or a big payday after showcasing some skills, which limits the chances of good stopgaps. 

We need to hit the jackpot more than once in this draft and find some hidden gems in FA.

Horrible news that’s for sure.  Fish is one of my favorite Chiefs but just way overpaid.

I actually think this is good news for KC in the long run.  I can see Fish getting extended to a much cheaper contract to finish out his career in KC.  If this injury would not of happened I could see a cut/trade and him going after 1 final big contract.  The injury keeps him in KC for a much more reasonable contract.

Of course he could play hard ball and KC ends up cutting him anyways but I’m sure his open market value AND trade value errrrrr will be very limited.

I have read that Trent Williams could test the market this offseason.  Would be a upgrade from Fisher but would cost us a lot as well.

Once we go back to back I think signing some above avg OL in hopes for a ring will start to happen!!!

San Francisco 49er

Offensive tackle Trent Williams. He's the 49ers' top priority, and he has made it clear he'd like to stay, but it's not that simple. The Niners cannot tag Williams, which means he could be one of the only premier left tackles ever to hit the open market. Williams has said "it would be interesting to kind of see what [my] value holds." If that value goes to a place the 49ers might not be able to handle given their salary-cap constraints, they could find themselves with a difficult decision. Odds are the sides will work something out. But if that doesn't happen before free agency begins, the Niners might have to sweat it out and, if they lose him, find themselves with a massive need at one of the most important positions in football. -- Nick Wagoner

1 minute ago, Balto said:

San Francisco 49er

Offensive tackle Trent Williams. He's the 49ers' top priority, and he has made it clear he'd like to stay, but it's not that simple. The Niners cannot tag Williams, which means he could be one of the only premier left tackles ever to hit the open market. Williams has said "it would be interesting to kind of see what [my] value holds." If that value goes to a place the 49ers might not be able to handle given their salary-cap constraints, they could find themselves with a difficult decision. Odds are the sides will work something out. But if that doesn't happen before free agency begins, the Niners might have to sweat it out and, if they lose him, find themselves with a massive need at one of the most important positions in football. -- Nick Wagoner

so with this in mind how would the Chiefs afford him?

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

so with this in mind how would the Chiefs afford him?

Fisher:  Cut/traded will save $11,968,750

Schwartz:  Cut/traded will save $6,161,250

Then go with a rookie and/or Niang at RT

From PFF:

It was difficult to be 100% certain about what Trent Williams would look like after the injuries and time off, but he quickly made it clear that this was still the same guy who was perennially in the conversation for being the best left tackle in the NFL. In fact, Williams’ 91.9 PFF grade during the 2020 regular season was the best mark by any left tackle in the league.

His size and athleticism allow him to do things in the run game that most tackles simply can’t, and that was apparent again in San Francisco this season despite all the injuries they suffered.

1. Play out the season - Win one more game.

2. Get full medical diagnosis on Fisher including recovery timeline  and his long term prognosis.

3. Evaluate the total market and the 31st draft pick potential.

the Fisher decision is somewhere in there.....

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I saw you posted something similar yesterday. I have no idea why you think he wont ever play again. The Rams left tackle is almost 40 and tore his MCL and PCL in November. He started the playoff game against Seattle. Jared Veldheer started playoff games for 2 different (Fact check it) teams this year at 33.

Do I think we may release both for cap reasons? Absolutely. Clears almost 18 mill. Do I think their careers are over? No. 

I think OT just went straight to the top of our list of needs. And fortunately for us, it's a very deep LT class. 

Because I think it is infinitely harder to recover from an achilles than a knee especially if you play a position that demands carrying 250 plus pounds around.

i think if a non elite left tackle sits out a year in his 30s there will be extreme hesitation from teams to give fisher a contract, despite his intentions to play again.

Even before Fisher's injury, I hoped the Chiefs would go OT with their first pick although we all know that isn't the way Reid wants to go.  Now it's even more important.  There are several prospects who cold be early starters for the Chiefs next season.  OT in the first, OC day two, and the guard positions will take care of themselves with Allegretti, LDT, Rankin, and Durant.