What to do with Fisher?

8 hours ago, Palangi said:

Does this book come with Reid number? 

Apparently some old man doesn't think you can voice opinions about the team on a message board, without the butt hurt coming from him.  Probably just could be the hemorrhoids i guess? 

He calls his hemorrhoids "mex" and "jet", btw.

show-some-respect-282843.jpg

LDT is back and we can only hope that he becomes depth.  We can't cut him without eating his entire contract so best to just hope a young guy can beat him out.   But i too was glad when he opted out and thought we got immensely better grabbing Osemele.

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'll be honest Kyle, I can't find a single big board anywhere that even has him listed in the top 100 prospects. I looked at 7 or 8 yesterday. 

First link in my search. I think if he has an average combine he will be there for us in the 2nd round. The tape on him is really good. You don't make 1st team all conference in Big Ten by being bad.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/12/28/alaric-jackson-declares-2021-nfl-draft/

I have always felt so bad for Fisher.  If he wasn't the first pick in that draft I am betting people wouldn't be so hard on him but because he was, there is this standard he has to be a superstar.  Has he been great...no.  Has he been a dumpster fire....no.  He has been right in the middle and trending up the last few years...I think so.  Granted the scrambling ability of our QB for the last 7 years has helped but he could of been much worse.  He was just in one of the worst draft classes in a very long time.  I looked through that first round and I found 10 guys not in the NFL at all now.  The only outstanding player is Hopkins.  It says only 3 of those players have been the primary starter for their team all 8 years.   6 have been for 7 years.  Covid opt out has made some of that a little tricky to get correct but you get the idea. 

I am not going to play the game of "could of X player that was taken in X round"....we could do that with every draft for every pick and it's not fair because honestly 31 other teams passed on those guys as well.  Yes I did see that it was the draft that had Bell, Kelce, and Mathieu to name a couple.

But in regards to what to do next year I have no idea.  I don't think paying him all year to maybe show up at the end of the year is crazy especially with what the cap could end up being next year.  So once again I feel bad for the guy getting this kind if injury right before the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, timmy_6262 said:

I have always felt so bad for Fisher.  If he wasn't the first pick in that draft I am betting people wouldn't be so hard on him but because he was, there is this standard he has to be a superstar.  Has he been great...no.  Has he been a dumpster fire....no.  He has been right in the middle and trending up the last few years...I think so.  Granted the scrambling ability of our QB for the last 7 years has helped but he could of been much worse.  He was just in one of the worst draft classes in a very long time.  I looked through that first round and I found 10 guys not in the NFL at all now.  The only outstanding player is Hopkins.  It says only 3 of those players have been the primary starter for their team all 8 years.   6 have been for 7 years.  Covid opt out has made some of that a little tricky to get correct but you get the idea. 

I am not going to play the game of "could of X player that was taken in X round"....we could do that with every draft for every pick and it's not fair because honestly 31 other teams passed on those guys as well.  Yes I did see that it was the draft that had Bell, Kelce, and Mathieu to name a couple.

But in regards to what to do next year I have no idea.  I don't think paying him all year to maybe show up at the end of the year is crazy especially with what the cap could end up being next year.  So once again I feel bad for the guy getting this kind if injury right before the Super Bowl.

I think everyone loves Fisher but for me he is just making to much money.  He is getting top 5 tackle money when he is middle of the pack tackle.  

My top options after the injury:

1)  Resign him to a very team friendly deal that keeps him in KC until he retires 

2)  Cut/trade him

3)  Not really even an option for me BUT keep him under current contract

11 minutes ago, Balto said:

I think everyone loves Fisher but for me he is just making to much money.  He is getting top 5 tackle money when he is middle of the pack tackle.  

1)  Resign him to a very team friendly deal that keeps him in KC until he retires 

2)  Cut/trade him

part of him making so much is him moving some salary to make cap space in 2019.  Always comes back to haunt the numbers.  But what do you pay a guy who was very dependable up until last year where he missed those 8 games?  Left tackles are hard to find and most teams don't let them go just like us. Do I wish he made less, of course, but its the nature of the beast you gotta pay sometimes where you don't want to.

I would agree and I would hope for 1 but assume 2 is what happens.

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

First link in my search. I think if he has an average combine he will be there for us in the 2nd round. The tape on him is really good. You don't make 1st team all conference in Big Ten by being bad.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/12/28/alaric-jackson-declares-2021-nfl-draft/

I'm sure he will be there in the second. And the third. And maybe the 4th too.

I didn't say he sucked. I'm saying you don't always seem to realize you arent impartial and objective when incomes to players from Iowa. Following them more closely is one thing. Anyone who is a huge fan of a given school in any sport is gonna pull for those players and know more about their strengths/ weaknesses, etc. But thinking they are better than they are is another thing.

Now reading up on him further, it looks like the general consensus is that he will need to move inside to guard to maximize his skillset.

3 hours ago, Balto said:

2)  Cut/trade him

4.  Extend him one more year and pay him what his cut cost is (~3.75 million) for 2021 and then whatever he was going to make in 2021 in 2022.   I just have a hard time seeing Veach and Reid do that to Fisher.  I think the best move overall is probably cutting him but cutting a guy after an injury like that seems pretty harsh for this team.   Seems like a family environment and he was a big part of it for so long.  Plus if he doesn't recover after 2021 then you can cut him but leave the option for another year.   Gonna cost you the same either way next year....I vote for the better optics.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

4.  Extend him one more year and pay him what his cut cost is (~3.75 million) for 2021 and then whatever he was going to make in 2021 in 2022.   I just have a hard time seeing Veach and Reid do that to Fisher.  I think the best move overall is probably cutting him but cutting a guy after an injury like that seems pretty harsh for this team.   Seems like a family environment and he was a big part of it for so long.  Plus if he doesn't recover after 2021 then you can cut him but leave the option for another year.   Gonna cost you the same either way next year....I vote for the better optics.

If they extend him they can cut that 2021 number in more than half. But they'd still be paying over 5 mill for a guy who will probably not be available until mid-season. And we have to find a temporary replacement too, which will cost money and/or draft capital. Unless they roll with Rankin. I don't think anyone would be super excited about that idea.

The timing with this couldn't be worse. It really forces the Chiefs hand as far as decision making.

26 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

If they extend him they can cut that 2021 number in more than half. But they'd still be paying over 5 mill for a guy who will probably not be available until mid-season. And we have to find a temporary replacement too, which will cost money and/or draft capital. Unless they roll with Rankin. I don't think anyone would be super excited about that idea.

The timing with this couldn't be worse. It really forces the Chiefs hand as far as decision making.

Dr. Matt Provencher, FOX Sports’ athlete injury and performance analyst, also speculated that Fisher would miss Super Bowl LV and likely return to football activities toward the end of training camp later this summer. With a typical recovery timetable of six to seven months, that puts the former No. 1 overall pick on track for a comeback around August.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Dr. Matt Provencher, FOX Sports’ athlete injury and performance analyst, also speculated that Fisher would miss Super Bowl LV and likely return to football activities toward the end of training camp later this summer. With a typical recovery timetable of six to seven months, that puts the former No. 1 overall pick on track for a comeback around August.

Yeah? Well that's cutting it close 🤣🤣.

If true he becomes slightly more trade able