What to do with Fisher?

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Dr. Matt Provencher, FOX Sports’ athlete injury and performance analyst, also speculated that Fisher would miss Super Bowl LV and likely return to football activities toward the end of training camp later this summer. With a typical recovery timetable of six to seven months, that puts the former No. 1 overall pick on track for a comeback around August.

That’s great news!  Even if he missed September that’s still enough of the season to warrant keeping him.   If we address the rest of the Oline then one position can be worked around until he’s fully healthy.    With the Prince Kid, Rankin, Niang, Durant, and Allegretti there seems to be some younger talent on this team that could be productive.   

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

how so? Who would want to give a decent draft pick up and swallow $12M 1 year contract for a questionable  product? 

I did say slightly.  Which before this news I thought it was about a zero % chance.  

Say we find Fisher's replacement this offseason and he looks good in camp.  IF the reports are correct and Fisher is GTG by end of camp and checks out medically I could see there being a SLIGHT chance of him getting moved before the season. 

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

That’s great news!  Even if he missed September that’s still enough of the season to warrant keeping him.   If we address the rest of the Oline then one position can be worked around until he’s fully healthy.    With the Prince Kid, Rankin, Niang, Durant, and Allegretti there seems to be some younger talent on this team that could be productive.   

Man I HOPE HOPE HOPE this means Fisher can come back as the same player but with the injury it opens his eyes and decides to stay in KC for the rest of his career at a very friendly contract

Cam Robinson is going to be a free agent and I don't think Jacksonville is going to resign him.  Would he be worth looking into? I know he has struggled with consistency.  But he did have a lot of potential and ability.  Maybe a different system would do him wonders?

LT- Robinson, Tega-Wanoga 

LG- Rankin, Remmers

C - Allegretti, Williams 

RG- Draft, Durant

RT- Niang, Draft

36 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Cam Robinson is going to be a free agent and I don't think Jacksonville is going to resign him.  Would he be worth looking into? I know he has struggled with consistency.  But he did have a lot of potential and ability.  Maybe a different system would do him wonders?

LT- Robinson, Tega-Wanoga 

LG- Rankin, Remmers

C - Allegretti, Williams 

RG- Draft, Durant

RT- Niang, Draft

As crazy as it sounds I think I would rather try out Baltos idea of trying to sign Trent Brown to a one year deal.  

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

and do what with EF's 12 mil cap hit?

Fisher has a 15m cap hit.  We'd save 12m by cutting him as all signing bonus is now off the books.  Of course now you'd have to do an injury settlement so who knows the actual cost but we'd save significantly by cutting him.  Cap hit (settlement notwithstanding) would be 3.181m

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

1-year rental FAs chasing a ring seems like our best bet for quality veterans in 2021. 

A starting quality OT picked in the first round is the best bet for the future.  The Chiefs need a solid O-line and drafting good players beats patchwork vets if the team is going to be a force for the long term.  

17 hours ago, jetlord said:

A starting quality OT picked in the first round is the best bet for the future.  The Chiefs need a solid O-line and drafting good players beats patchwork vets if the team is going to be a force for the long term.  

If they drafted a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker it could give them protection in case Fish isn't ready to start the year.  He played well at both OG and OT at USC. Start him at LT next year if Fish needs more time,  then kick him inside when Fish gets healthy. And you've got your LT whenever Fish/ the Chiefs do move on. 

ALT played LG until this season. Many scouts believe ultimately his best position is inside and he could be dominant there. But I have read almost nothing but good things about his play at LT this season.

Hes a beast though and if he test well he may not be available at 32. We aren't gonna be working with as much draft capital as we thought since Bienemy got passed over again this cycle.

44 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

When KC wins this Superbowl the oline issue will be a non Fisher issue. Win with mostly back ups is amazing.

True. Still doesn't mean it's a great idea to do this going forward. It's a position group that needs more of an investment and upgrades. 

Just because the dude is nearly impossible to sack, doesn't mean they shouldn't do their best to put a group of beasts in front of him. 

Imagine what our team would be like with him sitting back in a clean pocket all day. With his vision, arm strength AND more of a threat to run the ball effectively. Teams won't be able to blitz. Teams won't be able to drop everyone in coverage.

We are starting our own dynasty. Sustaining requires improvements up front.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

If they drafted a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker it could give them protection in case Fish isn't ready to start the year.  He played well at both OG and OT at USC. Start him at LT next year if Fish needs more time,  then kick him inside when Fish gets healthy. And you've got your LT whenever Fish/ the Chiefs do move on. 

ALT played LG until this season. Many scouts believe ultimately his best position is inside and he could be dominant there. But I have read almost nothing but good things about his play at LT this season.

Hes a beast though and if he test well he may not be available at 32. We aren't gonna be working with as much draft capital as we thought since Bienemy got passed over again this cycle.

I don't see a guy with his versatility dropping to 32.  But I guess you never know.

59 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't see a guy with his versatility dropping to 32.  But I guess you never know.

It's easy to think that, but there's about 35 prospects that we've been told won't last to #32.  There's a fair number of OT coming out that are potential first rounders but not all will be taken.  In all the mock drafts, there's one or two projected to be available for the Chiefs.  Maybe not Tucker, Darisaw, Slater, and certainly not Sewell, but someone will fall to them.  The real question is whether Reid and Veach will finally emphasize the line.  For the long term needs, they are nearly forced to, but Reid loves his shiny new weapons a lot.

If Fisher can play next year, he does. Trade is NOT an option. If Fish can’t play, we eat a bunch of tuna and pray Patrick can survive the loss of 2 All Pro OTs. Especially when they were the only above average players on that line. 
I can’t help morning the loss of 2 stud bookends that played every game every year for basically their whole career. They were very special. 

The super bowl will indicate how Reid and Veach will deal with the line. Unfortunately if they win and runthe ball sacks pressures are positive they will more than likely patch work it. 
The good thing is Reid and Veach know how defenses are going to play us and all signs lean towards o line. 
In my opinion fisher will be a chief. It’s what they do and sign and play if fisher isn’t ready by sept. 
heard rumours that bills may cut Morse. 
I think Veach and Reid are smart enough to create cap space without removing people from the o line. ( protect there investment )The only way they do is if they have a upgrade at the position. Even then they may carry a few more bodies. 

If Fisher can play next year, he does. Trade is NOT an option. If Fish can’t play, we eat a bunch of tuna and pray Patrick can survive the loss of 2 All Pro OTs. Especially when they were the only above average players on that line. 
I can’t help morning the loss of 2 stud bookends that played every game every year for basically their whole career. They were very special. 

Not an option?

True. Still doesn't mean it's a great idea to do this going forward. It's a position group that needs more of an investment and upgrades. 

Just because the dude is nearly impossible to sack, doesn't mean they shouldn't do their best to put a group of beasts in front of him. 

Imagine what our team would be like with him sitting back in a clean pocket all day. With his vision, arm strength AND more of a threat to run the ball effectively. Teams won't be able to blitz. Teams won't be able to drop everyone in coverage.

We are starting our own dynasty. Sustaining requires improvements up front.

The problem is KC pays about more than any team for the tackle position but one of the lowest with interior OL.  I think with Mahomes skills of evading our approach should be switched and focus on getting studs on the interior 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

With a $500 million QB, you don’t trade your only all pro lineman. Especially if he is a LT. Not an option. 

This is normally true but on t last year of his deal in which he won’t play much of it and he is a cut candidate it is an option.  But he doesn’t have trade value so you are right that it’s not an option.   

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

This is normally true but on t last year of his deal in which he won’t play much of it and he is a cut candidate it is an option.  But he doesn’t have trade value so you are right that it’s not an option.   

For sure. He has to be healthy. If another team thinks he will recover and we don’t, yeah a trade makes sense. We got a lot to fix on the o-line I am just hoping left tackle can wait a year.