Man, my reading glasses must be scratched, Is Rieter (a 7th round pick by Washington) the only lineman we have that was not undrafted?  That just doesn’t seem possible. We ran the ball well and threw for a Brazilian yards behind a bunch of UDFAs. Has any team ever played a SB with one damn 7th rounder?

I don’t know how much is Patrick and how much is Reid, but an offensive juggernaut that can’t be stopped typically has a huge investment in Oline. The fact that these guys just torch people with nobody’s up front is hard to fathom. 
It speaks volumes to the legend of Reid and Mahoney.

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Man, my reading glasses must be scratched, Is Rieter (a 7th round pick by Washington) the only lineman we have that was not undrafted?  That just doesn’t seem possible. We ran the ball well and threw for a Brazilian yards behind a bunch of UDFAs. Has any team ever played a SB with one damn 7th rounder?

I don’t know how much is Patrick and how much is Reid, but an offensive juggernaut that can’t be stopped typically has a huge investment in Oline. The fact that these guys just torch people with nobody’s up front is hard to fathom. 
It speaks volumes to the legend of Reid and Mahoney.

Allegretti was a 7th rounder. Wisniewski was a second rounder. 

Makes one wonder what the offense could be with an average line or better.  What if the Chiefs could be confident that they could run on third or fourth down and short?  What if Mahomes had a consistent clean pocket?  What if CEH had a few road graders in front?  Gotta build in the next draft and hope they jell quickly.  

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think it's very likely we grab 2 OL, WR and DE in the draft along with some depth.   This oline as bad as it's been this year can get fixed in a hurry.  We have some pieces to use already on this team.   

My mocks have a OT in the first and OC in the third.  But so many questions are unknowable at this point that its just guesswork.  Will Schwartz try to come back?  Is Niang staying in shape and motivated to learn this summer?  What's the status of Rankin?  Will Osemele recover and will the Chiefs resign him?  Can Durant learn to play OG or improve to a swing tackle position?  Is LDT coming back stronger?  The line can be fixed or at least made acceptable with only a few new pieces and a little luck.  

2 hours ago, xen said:

Meh you just have to be able to run the ball to back teams off the pass and close out games.  When you have Pat Mahomes at QB you're almost always better off letting him cook.

I’m not saying pound the rock. Just the threat. Teams would be in more disarray than they already are. I think with Williams emerging it’s coming.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Meh you just have to be able to run the ball to back teams off the pass and close out games.  When you have Pat Mahomes at QB you're almost always better off letting him cook.

You also have to have a high probably of making those third or fourth and short conversions.  Watching the Chiefs near the goal line gets painful at times with no ability to pound the rock when the defense knows what's coming. 

53 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You also have to have a high probably of making those third or fourth and short conversions.  Watching the Chiefs near the goal line gets painful at times with no ability to pound the rock when the defense knows what's coming. 

That’s what “sprint right option” is for.

1 minute ago, SEMO said:

That’s what “sprint right option” is for.

On fourth down and a foot to go, that looks fine or looks foolish.  It's still better to have a high percentage play quick and straight ahead.  For the Chiefs this year, is isn't high percentage.  Look at their red zone record. 

The league is a passing league and that is what defenses are being built to stop. I think by getting some fatties and pounding the rock more it works to the overall advantage of balance and creativity against more undersized defenses. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but proving we can also run at will leaves them no chance. 

24 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

The league is a passing league and that is what defenses are being built to stop. I think by getting some fatties and pounding the rock more it works to the overall advantage of balance and creativity against more undersized defenses. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but proving we can also run at will leaves them no chance. 

also extends MVPats career and overall quality of life

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

True dat.  I agree you should be ABLE to run effectively and that it will make everything easier if they can.   I just don't agree that we SHOULD run unless its situational.

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Insert the emergence of Williams II

17 hours ago, azchief21 said:

I saw some clips of Trent Green behind that  O line. He'd drop back and sip some tea while waiting for Mark Boerigter to get open. 

Yeah, I was imagining Mahomes with three or four borderline hall of fame offensive linemen. Imagine how incredible it would be to watch.

Robert Hainey the RG from Notre Dame was taking reps at center at the senior bowl yesterday and looked good at it.  Could be a 3rd round option to come compete with Allegretti at center.  With the one that doesn't win the starting spot being a solid depth guy at any interior position. 

I also thought Spencer Brown from Northern Iowa looked good a well. I believe we would have to use a 2nd rounder on him to get him. 

On 1/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, Thegoatee said:

Yeah, I was imagining Mahomes with three or four borderline hall of fame offensive linemen. Imagine how incredible it would be to watch.

I’m thinking about Miami’s O line when Marino was there. They had the attitude “No, you may not get near Mr. Marino, now or ever.” 
Number 13 almost always left the field with a clean jersey.

If Pat had that kind of line no QB record would be safe. And number 15 would have a long, healthy career.