35 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Robert Hainey the RG from Notre Dame was taking reps at center at the senior bowl yesterday and looked good at it.  Could be a 3rd round option to come compete with Allegretti at center.  With the one that doesn't win the starting spot being a solid depth guy at any interior position. 

I also thought Spencer Brown from Northern Iowa looked good a well. I believe we would have to use a 2nd rounder on him to get him. 

Allegretti has done nothing to lose a starting job here. Whether it be LG or C. He has staked claim to a spot in the starting lineup. Like you, I agree moving him to center could bring even more out in him. But he shouldn't be relegated to a backup depth spot in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Allegretti has done nothing to lose a starting job here. Whether it be LG or C. He has staked claim to a spot in the starting lineup. Like you, I agree moving him to center could bring even more out in him. But he shouldn't be relegated to a backup depth spot in my opinion. 

I'm with you on Allegretti. He definitely has earned a spot. And I'd like to see him kick into center. A young guy to grow and develop with Mahomes.  I'm looking at Hainsey as competition and depth.  

I just know that some question Allegretti still and don't like the idea of him at center.  So I put it out as a competition

49 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I'm with you on Allegretti. He definitely has earned a spot. And I'd like to see him kick into center. A young guy to grow and develop with Mahomes.  I'm looking at Hainsey as competition and depth.  

I just know that some question Allegretti still and don't like the idea of him at center.  So I put it out as a competition

Idk why not. Dude is extremely smart. 42 on the wonderlic. He's a superior run blocker to Reiter. I think he could be more than adequate in pass pro in the phone booth. 

51 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Idk why not. Dude is extremely smart. 42 on the wonderlic. He's a superior run blocker to Reiter. I think he could be more than adequate in pass pro in the phone booth. 

Agree.

In fact I think his pass pro is already pretty good too 

3 hours ago, Palangi said:

Agree.

In fact I think his pass pro is already pretty good too 

I hate that LDT has already restructured. It will cost more to cut him than it will to keep him next year. So he has a 4.75 mill dollar cap number that there's really no way out of.

The flip side of that is that he IS better than Wylie, even though that's not saying much. But it renders resigning Wylie pointless. So that's a plus. Secondly if we move on from Schwartz for cap reasons (obviously we can win without him) Reid will feel much better about starting Niang at RT with a seasoned vet next to him. 

So we could have C, RG, and RT figured out already. And if they keep Allegretti at LG, they can sign a stopgap like Britt to play C and draft his replacement in rd 3 or 4. And we still have Rankin and Durant as interior depth and possibly wanogho as a swing tackle. 

Point is there is several scenarios where we can improve this line while cutting salary at the same time.

16 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Point is there is several scenarios where we can improve this line while cutting salary at the same time.

The obvious one is to draft a starting LT in the first round and have both he and Niang on rookie contracts next year if not this one.  Then get a OG/OC to replace Reiter and have another on a rookie contract.  If Allegretti can play OC, then there just that much ore flexibility.  This line can be fixed without breaking the bank.  Just have to give it priority in the draft. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The obvious one is to draft a starting LT in the first round and have both he and Niang on rookie contracts next year if not this one.  Then get a OG/OC to replace Reiter and have another on a rookie contract.  If Allegretti can play OC, then there just that much ore flexibility.  This line can be fixed without breaking the bank.  Just have to give it priority in the draft. 

Agreed 100%. I'm curious to see if they think Wanogho can be a long term solution. I looked back at the KC draft guide last year done by the guys from AP and they had a rd 2 grade on him. 

Screenshot_20210131-220738_Drive.jpg

22 minutes ago, Balto said:

Just hope that once we win the SB with backup OL that doesn't make Veach/Reid complacent on making OL a priority this offseason. 

Yeah, Reid was finally forced to dump Sutton.  Hope it doesn't take an equally devastating loss to make him fix the O-line.  But to be honest, Reid had every reason to think he had Fisher, Schwartz, Niang, LDT, Rankin, and Reiter before the opt outs and injuries wrecked the line.  Reid didn't become a future HOF coach by sweeping problem areas under the rug. 

Agreed 100%. I'm curious to see if they think Wanogho can be a long term solution. I looked back at the KC draft guide last year done by the guys from AP and they had a rd 2 grade on him. 

Screenshot_20210131-220738_Drive.jpg

We can always hope, but there's a reason he was picked low and was available cheap. 

I am beginning to wonder if this is a position group the org feels they can piece together and get by.  Like our secondary.   I do look for them to draft one or OL but expecting Reid to trot out 3 rookies in a year we are going for an historic three peat is crazy.  I could see us making a cheap run at Kelce at C and/or bring Remmers back then fill in at RT or swing if Niang can take that spot.  It can’t get much worse than what we have now and we are still dominating.  But I think we are trying to upgrade with pick ups like Prince Tega Wanogho.  So who knows.

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I am beginning to wonder if this is a position group the org feels they can piece together and get by.  Like our secondary.   I do look for them to draft one or OL but expecting Reid to trot out 3 rookies in a year we are going for an historic three peat is crazy.  I could see us making a cheap run at Kelce at C and/or bring Remmers back then fill in at RT or swing if Niang can take that spot.  It can’t get much worse than what we have now and we are still dominating.  But I think we are trying to upgrade with pick ups like Prince Tega Wanogho.  So who knows.

Good point. We usually go cheap on CBs and Oline. Somehow they make it work. We got about $2500 in both positions. If Andy goes WR, CB and TE first 3 picks, I will cry and complain, but in Andy I trust. Another FA steal like Schwartz would be sweet. Thought they pulled that off with Osimile or whatever that guys name was that killed for a minute.

46 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yes, its clear veach and reid think spending money on the skill positions on offense is the way to go. I agree. This organization does not spend money on rbs, interior o line, and cornerback. This is correct imo. 
they need to add defensive end to the list of don’t spend money on in the future imo as well

51 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Looking at it logically,  what is the difference in 3 rookie and Reiter,  Wylie and other backups filling in all year?  At least with rookie you have potential development.  Much like we are seeing with Allegretti.  

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

Looking at it logically,  what is the difference in 3 rookie and Reiter,  Wylie and other backups filling in all year?  At least with rookie you have potential development.  Much like we are seeing with Allegretti.  

I dont think there's any reason 2 or 3 rookies cant start on our line. In fact it may be damn near necessary because of cap issues. And like you said, any rookie they'd feel comfortable starting is gonna have more talent and upside than Reiter, Wylie, Wiz, Remmers etc. Because there is literally zero upside there.

I'm not saying that as a pessimist. It's just fact. These guys aren't going to improve. I think that Remmers and Wiz are massive under the radar pickups. I mean they are starting in the SB. But facts are facts. None of these guys is any better than average at this point and they aren't young guys who may improve.

None of us expects them to go out and spend tons of money and sign Joe Thuney and Corey Linsley. We just want to see them invest more on the line in the draft. Dont wait until the only players left on the board are guys you are questioning whether or not you might be able to sign as UDFAs. Use an early pick there. Get crazy and use 2 picks on the line!

If they drafted a guy like Leatherwood in rd 1 he could fill in at LT until Fish is ready. Extend Fisher a year or 2. They can knock 8.5 of mill off his 2021 cap number (almost 15 mill) by extending him. Then he starts there when he is healthy and plays out his contract. Kick Leatherwood inside to guard. When Fishers contract is up, Leatherwood kicks back out, or you address it by other means.

I dont think there's any reason 2 or 3 rookies cant start on our line. In fact it may be damn near necessary because of cap issues. And like you said, any rookie they'd feel comfortable starting is gonna have more talent and upside than Reiter, Wylie, Wiz, Remmers etc. Because there is literally zero upside there.

I'm not saying that as a pessimist. It's just fact. These guys aren't going to improve. I think that Remmers and Wiz are massive under the radar pickups. I mean they are starting in the SB. But facts are facts. None of these guys is any better than average at this point and they aren't young guys who may improve.

None of us expects them to go out and spend tons of money and sign Joe Thuney and Corey Linsley. We just want to see them invest more on the line in the draft. Dont wait until the only players left on the board are guys you are questioning whether or not you might be able to sign as UDFAs. Use an early pick there. Get crazy and use 2 picks on the line!

If they drafted a guy like Leatherwood in rd 1 he could fill in at LT until Fish is ready. Extend Fisher a year or 2. They can knock 8.5 of mill off his 2021 cap number (almost 15 mill) by extending him. Then he starts there when he is healthy and plays out his contract. Kick Leatherwood inside to guard. When Fishers contract is up, Leatherwood kicks back out, or you address it by other means.

Thankfully this year the IOL is deep which is perfect for us.   

19 hours ago, jetlord said:

our franchise's life depends on the OL... it needs to be THE priority

23 minutes ago, xen said:

Chiefs are paying more for Eric Berry not to play (8 mil) in 2020 that we are paying the entire Superbowl starting line for the year ($6,293,616).

And if they draft a starting OT and OC, they may be paying Fisher more than the starting O-line next year.  Rookie, Allegretti, rokkie, LDT, Niang.  What would that cost? 

2 hours ago, xen said:

Chiefs are paying more for Eric Berry not to play (8 mil) in 2020 that we are paying the entire Superbowl starting line for the year ($6,293,616).

Oh Berry the gift that keeps giving or should I say taking.