https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article248983110.html

FEBRUARY 03, 2021 01:46 PM,

Former Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns coach Marty Schottenheimer moved to hospice. 

Former Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer has been moved to a hospice facility near his home in Charlotte, according to a statement released by his family.

Schottenheimer, 77, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2014.

“As a family, we are surrounding him with love and are soaking up the prayers and support from all those he impacted through his incredible life,” his wife, Pat, said in a statement. “In the way he taught us all, we are putting one foot in front of the other ... one play at a time.”

Schottenheimer coached the Chiefs, Browns, Chargers and Washington, but his tenure in Kansas City spanned the longest. He coached the Chiefs for 10 seasons, finishing first or second in the division in the first nine. Seven made the playoffs, though his defensive-dominant “Martyball” teams could not get over the hump and into the Super Bowl. 

The 1993 team reached the AFC Championship Game. The Chiefs would cycle through six head coaches before they returned under Andy Reid in 2018.

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

Hate to hear that. My wife and I care for her grandmother that has dementia/alzheimers and it's tuff. Very sad to see people with that and the effect of it to them and loved ones.

My mother-in-law passed in May from a 6 year battle with it.  Its the most heartless and cruel way to go.  By the end you almost forget the amazing and vibrant person they were before.  Brutal on my wife.  Sorry y'all are having to go through that too.   

50 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Terrible to see this happen to anyone, let alone a great guy like Marty :( . Not that it matters a lot but I wouldn't mind the Chiefs making him an assistant something really soon and finally give him that ring if we win on Sunday. 

That would be a cool gesture!