Replacement for Hammy Watkins??

Bengals WR A.J. Green projected to sign with Chiefs in free agency

It seems like a long shot that the Cincinnati Bengals will bring back free-agent wideout A.J. Green this offseason.

That would open the door for Green to play for a different team for the first time in his career, though the potential list of interested teams is hard to gauge.

Might a Super Bowl contender like the Kansas City Chiefs have interest?

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell made the case while running down the list of free-agent wideouts:

We’re now three-plus years removed from Green’s last healthy season as a starter (2017), and he hasn’t been that game-changing threat since 2018. He’ll have to take a massive pay cut from his $18 million franchise-tag figure, and having made more than $108 million as a pro, he might just move on.

I think Green can still play, and I wonder whether there’s a surprising fit. The Chiefs are going to move on from Sammy Watkins after his contract expires, and Mecole Hardman isn’t a like-for-like replacement. Green could be a relatively low-cost replacement for Watkins and chase a ring before he retires.

Projected: One year, $4 million from the Chiefs

It’s certainly a hard one to argue against. The Bengals wouldn’t seem to have much in the way of wiggle room to bring back Green on a notable deal, especially not with the bulk of the work going to Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins anyway.

If Green is to settle for a one-year prove-it deal after a bad showing on the franchise tag in 2020, it’s safe to presume he’d want to do so on a contender while playing with a quarterback like Patrick Mahomes

Like Andrew Whitworth and others in the past, Bengals fans would probably throw full support behind Green’s pursuit of a title if this were to happen.

4 minutes ago, mex said:

Replace a 27 year old player with durability issues, with a 32 year old player with durability issues.

Makes sense to me.

Sammy has not played a full season since 2015 and oddly enough when he had a "calf Injury"

were AJ only  got put on IR in Dec on wk 13 for a toe injury. missed all of 2019 which  can pretty much be said about Hammy this year but the Bungles thought enough of him to tag him wit the franchise tag last year.. JMO here but that "Durability" issue  seems to be miles apart and not to mention the Chiefs were on the hook for $9M where AJ IF  he would play for $4-5M is a substantial savings.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Sammy has not played a full season since 2015 and oddly enough when he had a "calf Injury"

were AJ only  got put on IR in Dec on wk 13 for a toe injury. missed all of 2019 which  can pretty much be said about Hammy this year but the Bungles thought enough of him to tag him wit the franchise tag last year.. JMO here but that "Durability" issue  seems to be miles apart and not to mention the Chiefs were on the hook for $9M where AJ IF  he would play for $4-5M is a substantial savings.

agree that he'd be much cheaper... but he AJ hasn't played as much as Hammy W over the last 3 years

Sammy says he wants to maybe come back.  I'm for it if it's for $1-2m base with purely incentive based bonuses... if he balls Sunday. He's fantastic when healthy, just isn't ever healthy and we have proven we can win without him.  I would think most teams would approach him the same way in the off-season, especially with stagnant or lower cap.  Nobody is giving him big money this year.  I'd pick him over Green since he knows the system and will do the dirty work when able to play. 

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I think we will begin to see what was once known as the Patriot Coefficient.. aged vets with still a bit of gas in them willing to play on the cheap for a legit chance at a ring 

Yea so far seen it from Suggs and Bell. 

Watkins too honestly. 

Just a great environment with Reid at the helm 

7 minutes ago, West said:

Let's see if Sammy can go off in the SB....

He knows the system and Mahomes trusts him.....

If Sammy plays big on Sunday......and the Chiefs get a w...

Keep the Band together.

w

Pretty sure you and I were saying just this last year after the SB

time for Sammy to step up

Wilks was talking about Sammy as well.  The idea is that if they take a way Hill and Kelce- Watkins can take any CB 1;1 with his intelligence (on the field) and speed.

He killed Richard Sherman when it mattered most- and Mahomes knew exactly what he had.....

w

12 minutes ago, West said:

Let's see if Sammy can go off in the SB....

He knows the system and Mahomes trusts him.....

If Sammy plays big on Sunday......and the Chiefs get a w...

Keep the Band together.

w

he cost the Chiefs $9M this year.. you think that is good value? I sure as heck dont..he better be the F'n MVP  for that kinda jack 

26 minutes ago, West said:

image.png  Are we measuring in $? or These?

he has not been the reason or even a contributor in the Chiefs playoff victories this year.. 37 catchs 421 yrds and 2 TD's in 10 games ... I'll converse with you about his future when he gets the SB MVP not until then

I hope and Pray that Sammy has 3 TDs for 200 yards and we win the SB because they were double up on Kelce and Hill!  Then he walks for a big contract and we get a 3rd round comp pick!!!!  MAN that would be sweeeeeeet