8 hours ago, Balto said:

I think it boils down to:

Cut/trade Fisher and Schwartz, this would open up $18.068M in cap space.

Now the front office could say GREAT lets use that $18M on bringing in some weapons like Allen Robinson or Corey Davis or who ever.  OR the front office could say GREAT lets use that $18M on a pass rusher or two like JJ Watt, Von Miller, Clowney or Justin Houston!  Or the secondary like a old vet Patrick Peterson or Bouye!

But I just think the most glaring issue in the Super Bowl that millions of people saw was the lack of offensive lineman starters and depth!  

Yes the cap is down this year with a rumored $180M floor but this will rapidly increase once fans are allowed in the stadiums and vaccines get to everyone.  So with cutting Fish/Schwartz we have that $18M flexibility to get some studs and make 2021 on their contracts a little more lean than the following years, that's not unusual.

I say Veach spends that $18M on multiple places but start and finish with the Oline.  

Go out and get Trent Williams AND Brandon Scherff!  They both played together in Washington and its reported they are good friends.  Why not approach both in coming to KC and protecting the best QB in the NFL and get a RING!!!  The $18M will be more than enough to grab them both with contracts that increase as the cap increases!  Sprinkle in a guy like Justin Houston to add some pass rush and a Pat Peterson on a cheap contract to add vet ability to the secondary and we are good for another SB run.

Not to mention we grab a young CHEAP stud OL in the draft early....take the BPA OL!  OT...Our new RT, OG....Our new RG, OC....Our new OC.  Then let our young guys battle for the 2 spots left!  I'd also still grab OL in the mid rounds for depth!

YES I think we should build through the draft...At most positions!  JUST NOT AT OL ALL AT THE SAME TIME!  Patrick Mother F'n Mahomes can win us a Super Bowl on his own IF he has protection!  If he would of stayed clean in the SB we win....Easily!   SPEND THE MONEY to protect him and not be another Aaron Rodgers "If he had a OL he would of won more SBs" type of history!  Or the next Russell Wilson who is starting to cause some issues because Seattle has been ignoring the OL and he is tired of it....Do you want Mahomes to start feeling like this?!?!?!?!  

Veach has two very easy contracts to drop in Fish and Schwartz to open up more than enough cap relief for TWO stud OL players!  Not to mention the $10M or so Veach can gain from extending HoneyBadger(which he shows zero signs of slowing down not to deserve that contract) 

Protecting Pat should be #1 this offseason and its not even close for debate!

Like it. 
There’s a lot of different ways chiefs can take care of the o line but it needs to be priority and having some vets in there would be best. 
first four games with osemele was great. Run game was dominate. That’s what we need going forward. Defenses will be playing deep 2 safeties and zone areas and cover the sidelines. 
run the damn ball and grab o line man and blocking TEs that can catch  

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

False. He restructured in 2019 to help us out. Cutting him now would cost more than keeping him. This is the flipside to restructures. The money saved in the immediate present is spread out over the remainder of the contract.

And believe it or not I'm OK with him at RG. Having a veteran with tons of starts including a SB run will make Reid and Co. feel much better about starting Niang at RT.

He is an average player. Which means he is a pro bowler when compared to Wylie.

20 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Correct.  He is set to be 4.75 mil on roster and if cut the dead cap hits right away which would go up.

2021 Dead Cap: $7,350,0002021

Cap Savings: $-2,600,000

Yes you both are correct IF he is cut now, but Veach could easily trade him during camp and gain us almost $3M in cap.

Veach can proceed with buffing up the OL in FA and draft and then watch for cut/trade market players and use LDT in a trade.  Been done many of times

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

False. He restructured in 2019 to help us out. Cutting him now would cost more than keeping him. This is the flipside to restructures. The money saved in the immediate present is spread out over the remainder of the contract.

And believe it or not I'm OK with him at RG. Having a veteran with tons of starts including a SB run will make Reid and Co. feel much better about starting Niang at RT.

He is an average player. Which means he is a pro bowler when compared to Wylie.

Well that sucks

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Correct.  He is set to be 4.75 mil on roster and if cut the dead cap hits right away which would go up.

2021 Dead Cap: $7,350,0002021

Cap Savings: $-2,600,000

The only way I see LDT leaving is another year of sitting out due to being a doctor or signing a Hali-type deal to spread the cap hit. Retirement is always a possibility but I don't see him doing that without consulting the Chiefs regarding cap issues or the NFL providing some COVID exemptions in general. 

5 hours ago, Palangi said:

What about Zach Banner? Bring him as a LT. He's played both tackles spots.  Steelers fans were excited about him until he for his knee in week one. Should be healthy and ready to go.  Is only 27 years old.  

https://youtu.be/xjaVat4doHQ

You think he has the mobility to play LT? I mean he would dominate vs the run, but can he hold up against the better edge rushers?

Honestly this is GREAT news for KC!  When healthy Schwartz is by far the best RT in the NFL and we have nothing on this team currently or have a good enough draft pick to get someone better "when healthy".  So he either comes back healthy and we can groom behind him OR we are now able to cut him and not have a injury settlement because of the "short recovery".

Love this news

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You think he has the mobility to play LT? I mean he would dominate vs the run, but can he hold up against the better edge rushers?

I'm not sure.  I watched a thing YouTube of a teammate who said he is incredibly athletic.  But needs to stay in shape? They said he came in the best shape of his life last year then for his knee in game one.  His movement skills looked pretty in the video,  but like I said I don't know enough.  

In my opinion the LT and RT are becoming very similar as teams are putting their best edge rushers on both sides.  

Schwartz coming back would be huge for this season, especially if he can stay healthy all year.  The Chiefs still need to prioritize OT in the draft because Fisher is very unlikely to be back this fall, Schwartz may be more susceptible to repeat back problems, the team doesn't know what it has in NIang, and they have to look to a time without Fisher or Schwartz in the near future..  It would feel a lot better with Schwartz, Niang, Remmers, and new guy available this season.  

Does anyone wonder why he waited until now to have the surgery?  Short recovery or not?   Think possibly it was to string out this injury enough that the Chiefs can cut him and instead have to injury settle?    Again if that's the case I don't blame him one bit as I would totally do the same.   Just curious this wasn't done earlier.   There was no real attempt to even get back for the playoffs.   Again not judging just saying seems like the smartest move on his part.    My hope is he recovers and we get Mitchell back because he's amazing and that would go a long way towards fixing our Oline and his 10 million salary is relatively low.   

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Does anyone wonder why he waited until now to have the surgery?  Short recovery or not?   Think possibly it was to string out this injury enough that the Chiefs can cut him and instead have to injury settle?    Again if that's the case I don't blame him one bit as I would totally do the same.   Just curious this wasn't done earlier.   There was no real attempt to even get back for the playoffs.   Again not judging just saying seems like the smartest move on his part.    My hope is he recovers and we get Mitchell back because he's amazing and that would go a long way towards fixing our Oline and his 10 million salary is relatively low.   

It's just another question mark and problem to deal with cap wise. I'd continue build as if he won't be here.

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

He wanted a chance to heal up and see if he could play in the last part of the season or the playoffs. After that was a no go for the SB he probably scheduled it.

50 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

lol not sure how you can say that.  How was there no attempt to get back for the playoffs?

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Schwartz at RT would be huge if he has no lingering issues. Now if Niang can play LT we help ourselves without spending money or picks. I still would go after a C first then LT via FA or draft. 

Veach was pretty excited about playing Niang at guard after the drafted him. So many things up in the air. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Veach was pretty excited about playing Niang at guard after the drafted him. So many things up in the air. 

The will go with remmers at rt. Reiters at center and niang at LG just because he has not played the left side nor the guard position.

13 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

As long as Niang can start at a decent level anywhere on the line in 2021 I couldn't care about the specific position. It's always a plus if he can be a decent LT as it's much easier to find a solid day 1 starter at OC/OG with #31 but wouldn't mind if he's just a career starter at OG. The critical thing seems to be the staff assessing his future prior to the draft. 

50 minutes ago, sith13 said:

As long as Niang can start at a decent level anywhere on the line in 2021 I couldn't care about the specific position. It's always a plus if he can be a decent LT as it's much easier to find a solid day 1 starter at OC/OG with #31 but wouldn't mind if he's just a career starter at OG. The critical thing seems to be the staff assessing his future prior to the draft. 

Agreed. 

On 2/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, Balto said:

Yes you both are correct IF he is cut now, but Veach could easily trade him during camp and gain us almost $3M in cap.

Veach can proceed with buffing up the OL in FA and draft and then watch for cut/trade market players and use LDT in a trade.  Been done many of times

Just an FYI, but LDT has a no trade clause in his contract.