10 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Alaric Jackson might be there end of the 2nd too. If we go in another way there may be an OT still there. Really all depends on combine and FA.

10 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

He might be there at the end of the 5th too. And there is no combine this year.

I don't think Alaric is right for our system.  Personally I kind of think his ceiling is a backup anyway unless he lands in the right system.  He's much better for a system like the Rams or 49ers where you're running that outside zone over and over.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

I don't think Alaric is right for our system.  Personally I kind of think his ceiling is a backup anyway unless he lands in the right system.  He's much better for a system like the Rams or 49ers where you're running that outside zone over and over.  

The two that I am keying in on right now are Mayfield and Radunz.  Could probably trade back and get Radunz and have to trade up some to get Mayfield.

I really like Mayfield.  With the multiple issues our line has, someone with his versatility and athleticism would be invaluable.  

2 hours ago, xen said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/alaric-jackson-nfl-draft-player-profile-iowa-tackle/

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-first-round-pick-31-2021-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-week-2/

Offensive line remains this week's consensus position

USATSI_15209357.jpg

Ken Ruinard – The Greenville News

Of the eight mock drafts in our roundup this week, seven of them sent an offensive lineman to Kansas City. The Chiefs adding to the offensive line is the easiest possible conclusion after watching Patrick Mahomes run for his life in Super Bowl LV.

This week we have a couple of new names popping up. We have Clemson OT Jackson Carman, who is a long-armed tackle prospect. He seems very much like a jack-of-all-trades, but master of none compared to others in this tackle class. He also still has some noticeable struggles handling speed rushers.

We also have some other players like Oklahoma C Creed Humphrey and USC OL Alijah Vera-Tucker popping up for the first time. Humphrey is a technician at the center position and Vera-Tucker is a plug-and-play starter basically anywhere on the line.

We’ll see how long the offensive line remains the flavor of the month for Kansas City in these mock drafts. I suspect the recent news regarding Mitchell Schwartz will allow for some more variety as we approach free agency.

On risky draft picks...

c43806887b1a472098d2c6f3ac2d93fc.jpg

AP Photo/Tony Avelar

Earlier in the week, we wrote about Mel Kiper, Jr.’s pick for the Chiefs, Stanford OT Walker Little, being a risky choice. That brought up some good discussion about risk and the draft. Every pick, of course, carries some level of risk, but this year is very unique. A number of the tools for evaluation that teams usually have aren’t available for lots of prospects.

In the case of Little, the team’s last piece of film on him will have come in August of 2019 against Northwestern. That’s the last time that he played a game. They won’t have the NFL Scouting Combine for reliable medical evaluations on his knee injury. They won’t have top-30 visits or pre-draft workouts. They’re essentially flying blind compared to previous years. That risk you assume when drafting the player becomes magnified when you consider what you’re without in the evaluation process this season.

One name that kept being brought up as a comparison was Alabama C Landon Dickerson, but I’m not sure that you can really compare the two players. Dickerson’s durability concerns are well-documented, but he has also played 25 games in the past two seasons. A team can hang their hat on that in their evaluation process. It’s hard to say the same about the two-year-old tape from Little. You’re leaving a lot more up to projection with a player like Little than you are with a player like Dickerson

11 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Personally I think he could be a beast at guard. But having that experience at both could make him a valuable guy. I just wouldn't draft him in the first 3 rounds.

Yeah. I did not see his a length before

Veach likes versatility though and a guy who can do great at G but back up OT would be nice. Thing is he would be best on the left side. With Allegretti there already, do we take a guy like this then? Who knows.

Vera-Tucker is a plug-and-play starter basically anywhere on the line.

that sure sounds like what the Chiefs need so IF  Schwartz and or Fish come back and maybe if we could land Jason Kelce  it'd sure go a long way to O-line improvement  for next year.

From what I can tell the Chiefs would have to move up about 10 spots.. that hurts

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

The two that I am keying in on right now are Mayfield and Radunz.  Could probably trade back and get Radunz and have to trade up some to get Mayfield.

I really like Mayfield.  With the multiple issues our line has, someone with his versatility and athleticism would be invaluable.  

Yeah that's the 2 guys I like as well, as far as tackles that could be there when we pick.  Don't disagree with the placement.  Mayfield I think would be ready to play faster but really like both those guys.  Cosmi in the 2nd, Walker Little in the 3rd is kind of how I have them.   A trade back and Radunz or Cosmi would work, though I think Cosmi might be a year in a strength program away.

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Vera-Tucker is a plug-and-play starter basically anywhere on the line.

that sure sounds like what the Chiefs need so IF  Schwartz and or Fish come back and maybe if we could land Jason Kelce  it'd sure go a long way to O-line improvement  for next year.

From what I can tell the Chiefs would have to move up about 10 spots.. that hurts

Vera-Tucker would be my number one oline target but yes we'd likely have to trade up so probably not.  I think he could start at 3 positions for us and fill in as a spot starter at LT and C even.  That's hard to find.

14 minutes ago, xen said:

Vera-Tucker would be my number one oline target but yes we'd likely have to trade up so probably not.  I think he could start at 3 positions for us and fill in as a spot starter at LT and C even.  That's hard to find.

Yeah.  I would be surprised if he got passed the chargers or vikings.

How many OTs will go in the first round?  There's about seven that are projected there and that seems a little high.  I think a lot will go in the first half of the second round and the Chiefs would do well to trade down something less than ten spots and still get a good tackle.   What would they get in return if they traded down from #31 to around #40?

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

How many OTs will go in the first round?  There's about seven that are projected there and that seems a little high.  I think a lot will go in the first half of the second round and the Chiefs would do well to trade down something less than ten spots and still get a good tackle.   What would they get in return if they traded down from #31 to around #40?

Late 3?  

On 2/7/2021 at 9:40 PM, jetlord said:

Disagree.  Build the line through the draft.  For the millionth time, OT in the first round, OC second day.  Two starters along with Niang and whoever comes back next year.  They may start roughly, but the Chiefs can't afford any top FA and they won't get better with linemen off the scrap heap.  .

Yeah.  A really good center has been a  a huge need for some time.  I'm down with that.  Maybe with the tackles, it would be worth a risk to stay away from the FA's and bet on Schwartz coming back and draft a versatile lineman with big upside and some college experience at tackle and guard to fill in for Fisher and then move to guard when Fisher comes back. FA's become available for a reason and should be only a quick fix.  Get one really, really versatile lineman in the draft who has played both, and coach him up.  Save the second round for a DE who can set the edge and rush the passer, someone really quick and really mean.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You mean like...their contracts expiring?

My bad.  I was looking at it from the opposite side.  All teams lose good players to free agency, simply because their original cheaper contracts expire. I understand that.  But a championship team like the Chiefs with Mahomes pretty much have maxxed out their cap.  They can mess with it a bit, but they still have to survive by the draft, having great scouts, and having great position coaches to get draftees up to speed. They must get good play out of guys on their first contract.  We are not used to that.  We were the other guys for about 50 years, and where did it get us?  To a few close playoff games, though some of those were just unlucky.  But Mahomes, a few stars and locker room  leaders, and then a squad of first contract guys coached up to their full potential is the new formula for maintaining a dynasty. FA's to me are stop gap guys with the current era Chiefs  The draft is the whole ball of wax for us now. Economics demands that.

18 hours ago, jetlord said:

Seems a little high.  I was thinking #31 for an early second and early fourth, maybe 40 and 110 or thereabouts. 

It is 100 pts on the trade value chart.  Which equals pick 100, ironically.  That is a 3rd round comp pick.  I know the chart is not an exact science.  But, it is roughly what they go by.

40 + 110 = 574 pts

31 = 600 pts

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

My bad.  I was looking at it from the opposite side.  All teams lose good players to free agency, simply because their original cheaper contracts expire. I understand that.  But a championship team like the Chiefs with Mahomes pretty much have maxxed out their cap.  They can mess with it a bit, but they still have to survive by the draft, having great scouts, and having great position coaches to get draftees up to speed. They must get good play out of guys on their first contract.  We are not used to that.  We were the other guys for about 50 years, and where did it get us?  To a few close playoff games, though some of those were just unlucky.  But Mahomes, a few stars and locker room  leaders, and then a squad of first contract guys coached up to their full potential is the new formula for maintaining a dynasty. FA's to me are stop gap guys with the current era Chiefs  The draft is the whole ball of wax for us now. Economics demands that.

I agree with almost all of this. But I don't see using free agency as a way to improve your roster as a measure of desperation perse. 

As long as the nucleus is homegrown, and you are resigning those players, then there's nothing wrong with using free agency as an avenue to improve the roster.

Now when you find yourself in a situation where you are trying to FIX something rather than upgrade it, that's probably not a real good look. That would point to the fact that not only does your starter suck, but there's no promising depth there either.

Unfortunately that's the exact situation we are in at LB and IOL to an extent. But I would be extremely surprised if the Chiefs don't hit those positions hard in the draft and with the UDFAs. 

Overall, if the Chiefs only gave out one significant contract this offseason, I'd love for it to be on the offensive line.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I agree with almost all of this. But I don't see using free agency as a way to improve your roster as a measure of desperation perse. 

As long as the nucleus is homegrown, and you are resigning those players, then there's nothing wrong with using free agency as an avenue to improve the roster.

Now when you find yourself in a situation where you are trying to FIX something rather than upgrade it, that's probably not a real good look. That would point to the fact that not only does your starter suck, but there's no promising depth there either.

Unfortunately that's the exact situation we are in at LB and IOL to an extent. But I would be extremely surprised if the Chiefs don't hit those positions hard in the draft and with the UDFAs. 

Overall, if the Chiefs only gave out one significant contract this offseason, I'd love for it to be on the offensive line.

Word.  Or pass rusher.

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

It is 100 pts on the trade value chart.  Which equals pick 100, ironically.  That is a 3rd round comp pick.  I know the chart is not an exact science.  But, it is roughly what they go by.

40 + 110 = 574 pts

31 = 600 pts

Okay.  I was approximating without looking at the chart. Still, it would be hard to get another third rounder without sinking pretty far down in the second.  It all depends on who the Chiefs have targeted for their first pick and how badly the trading partner wants #31.  The most promising scenario is if QB Jones is on the board and some teams thinks he's the answer.  Then they'll give up a little more to fill that wish.  Then the Chiefs have to judge whether their target will last to #40 or whatever or if there's a back up that really isn't a down grade.  It's impossible to speculate with any accuracy until the moment.  My point was that it's better to have the extra fourth if the player you want with your first pick will still be there early in the second.