ESPN’s top draftnik, Mel Kiper Jr., has released a brand new 2021 NFL mock draft. In this projection, Kiper makes a very interesting and risky pick for the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 31, selecting Stanford OT Walker Little.

Following the 2018 season, Little was in the conversation to be one of the top offensive tackles in college football. Things are now much less clear as Little has played in just a single game over the past two seasons. In 2019, Little suffered a season-ending knee injury in his first game of the year against Northwestern. When he returned to health in 2020, he opted out before the season began in order to prepare for the 2021 NFL draft.

Here’s what Kiper had to say about his choice:

“This might be a new name for some, but Little made my preseason Big Board all the way back in August of 2019. That was ahead of the 2020 draft. Then he injured his knee in the season opener and missed the rest of that season and opted out of 2020, so he hasn’t played much football since. I called Little more of a finesse tackle in 2019, but he has a great frame (6–7, 315 pounds) and can move his feet. He started as a true freshman at Stanford. There is some projection here, but Little has some great tape from 2017 and 2018. Scouts will be able to see him up close at his pro day next month. And if you watched Patrick Mahomes run for his life in Super Bowl LV, you know the Chiefs could use a tackle.”

I've seen Walker Little going late 2nd-4th rounds.   I don't mind us drafting him but wouldn't want to use a first on him.   Jaylen Mayfield is the guy who flashed this season in limited playing time at Michigan.  

I know I've been a big proponent of going after someone like Trent Williams but we really do need to invest multiple picks in our Oline for financial and continuity reasons.  We might be able to patchwork our db's and lb's together but that Oline needs to be 80% each and every year for the next 5-6 years.   Hoping Mitchel Schwartz can get fully healthy.  That would be absolutely huge for us.   Giving Niang another year to develop and be the swing tackle.   Still need a LT, LG, C.   I like Allegretti but more as depth than a full time starter.   Osemele should be in the mix if healthy and then go draft some studs.    

Would you guys be upset if drafted Jaylen Mayfield in round 1 and then traded back up to grab Landon Dickerson in the middle of round 2?   Those guys along with Niang would give us a young trio of bookends and center for the next 4-5 years.   

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

ESPN’s top draftnik, Mel Kiper Jr., has released a brand new 2021 NFL mock draft. In this projection, Kiper makes a very interesting and risky pick for the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 31, selecting Stanford OT Walker Little.

Following the 2018 season, Little was in the conversation to be one of the top offensive tackles in college football. Things are now much less clear as Little has played in just a single game over the past two seasons. In 2019, Little suffered a season-ending knee injury in his first game of the year against Northwestern. When he returned to health in 2020, he opted out before the season began in order to prepare for the 2021 NFL draft.

Here’s what Kiper had to say about his choice:

“This might be a new name for some, but Little made my preseason Big Board all the way back in August of 2019. That was ahead of the 2020 draft. Then he injured his knee in the season opener and missed the rest of that season and opted out of 2020, so he hasn’t played much football since. I called Little more of a finesse tackle in 2019, but he has a great frame (6–7, 315 pounds) and can move his feet. He started as a true freshman at Stanford. There is some projection here, but Little has some great tape from 2017 and 2018. Scouts will be able to see him up close at his pro day next month. And if you watched Patrick Mahomes run for his life in Super Bowl LV, you know the Chiefs could use a tackle.”

Good lord.  F'ing Kiper.

Maybe he flies up the board after testing.  IDK.  But I would not spend higher than our 3 on him right now.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I've seen Walker Little going late 2nd-4th rounds.   I don't mind us drafting him but wouldn't want to use a first on him.   Jaylen Mayfield is the guy who flashed this season in limited playing time at Michigan.  

I know I've been a big proponent of going after someone like Trent Williams but we really do need to invest multiple picks in our Oline for financial and continuity reasons.  We might be able to patchwork our db's and lb's together but that Oline needs to be 80% each and every year for the next 5-6 years.   Hoping Mitchel Schwartz can get fully healthy.  That would be absolutely huge for us.   Giving Niang another year to develop and be the swing tackle.   Still need a LT, LG, C.   I like Allegretti but more as depth than a full time starter.   Osemele should be in the mix if healthy and then go draft some studs.    

Would you guys be upset if drafted Jaylen Mayfield in round 1 and then traded back up to grab Landon Dickerson in the middle of round 2?   Those guys along with Niang would give us a young trio of bookends and center for the next 4-5 years.   

I would love Mayfield there.  Already mocked it.  But, with a real possibility of Schwartz coming back now, I am not sure if Veach will value tackle that high.  He might see more value in a WR or EDGE there.  Then grab someone like Spencer Brown in the third, to develop.

39 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I would love Mayfield there.  Already mocked it.  But, with a real possibility of Schwartz coming back now, I am not sure if Veach will value tackle that high.  He might see more value in a WR or EDGE there.  Then grad someone like Spencer Brown in the third, to develop.

Veach sure has some issues with seeing value in earlier rounds but I don't think that goes on in 2021. 

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Mayfield is probably worth a first, but would the tackle from N.D. fit better?  Mayfield played RT at Mich IIRC.  I don't like trading up to get Dickerson.  His injury history is a red flag and the Chiefs need all their picks.  There's other OCs that can start who will be there in the third.  As for Little, he's played one game in the past two years.  No way should a team risk a first on him and most mocks have him going much later.  Guess that's why the scouts and talent evaluators get paid.  

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Mayfield is probably worth a first, but would the tackle from N.D. fit better?  Mayfield played RT at Mich IIRC.  I don't like trading up to get Dickerson.  His injury history is a red flag and the Chiefs need all their picks.  There's other OCs that can start who will be there in the third.  As for Little, he's played one game in the past two years.  No way should a team risk a first on him and most mocks have him going much later.  Guess that's why the scouts and talent evaluators get paid.  

Mayfields upside is higher than Eichenberg. The plus side to Eichenberg is that he is refined and could likely start week 1 at LT.

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Mayfields upside is higher than Eichenberg. The plus side to Eichenberg is that he is refined and could likely start week 1 at LT.

Good point if that's the case.  How do you rank Cosmi and is there a chance Vera-Tucker could still be on the board at #31?  Every mock I've run with a wide variety of rankings penalizes me if I don't pick OT with the first pick.  The question is which one.  And maybe Xen could weigh in on how Jenkins would fit in KC.  

26 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I mean seriously?? Brown  at least has some playing time in the NFL .. Wilson who is the  unproven disappointment from the titans who has proven nothing but the negative accusations thrown at him  are legit.

talk about the ying and the yang

22 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Speculation. Misleading title.  Anger. 

It is an article I came across and named as such. Also after it, they go in about 5 practice squad players you can read up on. Prince is in there too. I just like reading what others are saying could be done.

35 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

It is an article I came across and named as such. Also after it, they go in about 5 practice squad players you can read up on. Prince is in there too. I just like reading what others are saying could be done.

I'm just joking. I just get excited when I hear things like that. 

40 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm just joking. I just get excited when I hear things like that. 

Hard to tell jokes at times in writing Lukas. I would be ecstatic for Brown but it is a pipe dream. I am thinking FA is the way to go in Williams for a few years. Plug Niang in as needed and draft a center. Then go after LT next year or see what prince has first. This way one pick on center for sure. Leaves other picks for lb, DE etc.

OHIO STATE • SOPH • 6'5" / 310 LBS

From a talent-perspective, Alabama's Landon Dickerson is more prepared to step in and start at center for the Chiefs, but his injury history is a concern. Josh Myers is a quality consolation.

This guy was mocked to KC by Josh Edwards at CBS. What do y'all think about him? 

Trade a 6th for Wilson

Sign Nick Martin to center.  

Move Niang to LT now.  He is athletic enough and superb pass blocker.  

Draft Teven Jenkins in round 1.

LT- Niang, Prince

LG- Rankin, Durant

C - Martin,  Allegretti 

RG- Jenkins,  LDT 

RT- Wilson, Remmers

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Good point if that's the case.  How do you rank Cosmi and is there a chance Vera-Tucker could still be on the board at #31?  Every mock I've run with a wide variety of rankings penalizes me if I don't pick OT with the first pick.  The question is which one.  And maybe Xen could weigh in on how Jenkins would fit in KC.  

Teven Jenkins is fun as hell to watch.  Really like that kid.  He'll just destroy some people in the run game.  Good in pass pro as well but they get rid of the ball so damn quick it's hard to tell how well he'd hold up with some of our longer pass sets.  Not sure he can play tackle for us and I definitely don't think he can play on the left.  Might be a right tackle for us but more likely would be a mauler at guard.  I think he's very draftable for us due to the positional versatility and he kind of fits the bigger, less athletic gap/man guards we've been picking lately.

I actually like Cosmi better for our system.  Vera-Tucker is probably also one of the better fits but I don't see how he drops to us with plus tape at multiple positions.

16 minutes ago, xen said:

Teven Jenkins is fun as hell to watch.  Really like that kid.  He'll just destroy some people in the run game.  Good in pass pro as well but they get rid of the ball so damn quick it's hard to tell how well he'd hold up with some of our longer pass sets.  Not sure he can play tackle for us and I definitely don't think he can play on the left.  Might be a right tackle for us but more likely would be a mauler at guard.  I think he's very draftable for us due to the positional versatility and he kind of fits the bigger, less athletic gap/man guards we've been picking lately.

I actually like Cosmi better for our system.  Vera-Tucker is probably also one of the better fits but I don't see how he drops to us with plus tape at multiple positions.

Cosmi is super athletic. Be a good fit at OT. Can he play guard though. I know power isn't his game. We seem to be linked to more of the guys with positional versatility. 

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

He might be there at the end of the 5th too. And there is no combine this year.

Forgot about that. He was a fringe 1st rounder last year if he came out. I think he will be there and do well. Iowa has some pretty damn good linemen in that pro style offense. Coaches from the NFL too that coached o line etc. I am glad so much is being hyped on others. The other one I am excited to see possibly next year is our center. With us needing one, I wish he had come out. 

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Forgot about that. He was a fringe 1st rounder last year if he came out. I think he will be there and do well. Iowa has some pretty damn good linemen in that pro style offense. Coaches from the NFL too that coached o line etc. I am glad so much is being hyped on others. The other one I am excited to see possibly next year is our center. With us needing one, I wish he had come out. 

Forget bout the draft, bring back your old avatar.  😉

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Cosmi is super athletic. Be a good fit at OT. Can he play guard though. I know power isn't his game. We seem to be linked to more of the guys with positional versatility. 

Cosmi is probably only a tackle.  Doesn’t really bend or get enough leverage if you move him to guard.  But I think there's some versatility in that you could start him on the right and develop him.  Eventually he could play left.  

Dillon Radunz is another guy I like.  Also a mauler like Jenkins but more athletic.

This is a great year to need oline y'all.  

45 minutes ago, xen said:

Cosmi is probably only a tackle.  Doesn’t really bend or get enough leverage if you move him to guard.  But I think there's some versatility in that you could start him on the right and develop him.  Eventually he could play left.  

Dillon Radunz is another guy I like.  Also a mauler like Jenkins but more athletic.

This is a great year to need oline y'all.  

I like Radunz a lot too. I think his ceiling is at or higher than almost any OT in the draft not named Sewell.