Would Reid retire?

So lets say that they absolutely throw the book at Britt and he sees some serious jail time.  Which is possible with his checkered past.  Does anyone think that Reid would walk away from football?  Would anyone want him to leave after seeing what happened to him in the Super Bowl?  That man was a shell of himself out there.  Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

If he didn't retire after his first son passed away I don't think he would do it now.

Agree, if this son does jail time what will retirement do to help the situation? My guess is the work kept his mind busy from the loss and pain. 

Not sure how any man turns off the mind when this type of thing happens, especially knowing children may die from it. 

17 minutes ago, xen said:

Andy has waited his entire career for a qb like Pat.  They're gonna have to drag him kicking and screaming outta here.  

He's still younger than other coaches like Belichick, Arrians, and Pete Carroll.

If he does nothing to fix the oline I am pretty sure he will get dragged out of the building by fans

1 hour ago, timmy_6262 said:

If he does nothing to fix the oline I am pretty sure he will get dragged out of the building by fans

If anything good come out of the SB loss it may be that Reid/Veach know they can no longer paper over the O-line woes.  Can't blame them for not forecasting Niang and LDT opting out or for the injuries to Fisher, Schwartz, and Osemele, but I do blame them for ignoring the line in the draft early rounds when they scrambled in the line interior last season and Fisher and Schwartz are late in their careers. 

27 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If anything good come out of the SB loss it may be that Reid/Veach know they can no longer paper over the O-line woes.  Can't blame them for not forecasting Niang and LDT opting out or for the injuries to Fisher, Schwartz, and Osemele, but I do blame them for ignoring the line in the draft early rounds when they scrambled in the line interior last season and Fisher and Schwartz are late in their careers. 

This is contradictory.  I don't think you can say they've been papering over they OL woes when you describe all the resources they have invested:  two highly-paid tackles, a highly-paid guard, a day 2 pick on a guy with huge upside, a great cheap veteran flyer.  Three major injuries and two opt-outs - that's a full line!  (Just no one to play center.)  You can't field Pro Bowlers at all 22 positions or starter-quality players at all 53 positions.

To the original point...does anyone listen to the Time's Ours Podcast with Taylor, Briscoe, and Keysor?

Nate Taylor basically hinted that the worst was still to come in the Britt Reid story and fallout.  I don't know what he meant by that or what he knows.  I still really doubt Andy will retire, but I think I went from thinking the chance is absolutely 0% to thinking that it's not completely off the table.

31 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

This is contradictory.  I don't think you can say they've been papering over they OL woes when you describe all the resources they have invested:  two highly-paid tackles, a highly-paid guard, a day 2 pick on a guy with huge upside, a great cheap veteran flyer.  Three major injuries and two opt-outs - that's a full line!  (Just no one to play center.)  You can't field Pro Bowlers at all 22 positions or starter-quality players at all 53 positions.

Disagree.  The Chief have not drafted to replenish the line.  They apparently relied on Fisher and Schwartz being around for the foreseeable future and made a token pick with Allegretti in the late rounds two years ago.  You point out Niang as an example and I'll give you that, but he was known to be injured when they took him and even before the opt out, there was talk that he might not be ready for this year.  Since the drafts of Allen, Hudson, and Morse, they haven't given the line the priority it needed.  JMHO

31 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Oh give me a break Adam. Dorsey paid all 3 of those guys, and you know it. And LDT hadn't done anything to earn that payday, not to mention he was a 6th rd pick. 

Fisher was drafted 8 yrs ago. Schwartz was drafted 9 years ago by another team. 

This team hasnt invested anything of significance in this line the last half decade and we saw the culmination of it in one giant clusterfuck on Sunday.

They tried to make chicken salad out of chicken shit 1 time too many. 

Both of you are missing the point.

First off, it doesn't matter whether it was Dorsey or Veach.  The point is, we have resources tied up in the line, and significant ones at that.

Whether or not they're the right resources and the right choices, I'll give you that.  But it hasn't been "ignored" or "papered over."  Schwartz was GREAT last year, we couldn't have seen this coming this soon out of nowhere.  Fisher and LDT might not totally earn their paychecks but are you saying you wouldn't have taken them against TB?  I think we're seeing how we've really underappreciated "solid."  And I say that as someone who's been saying all year we should have gone OL instead of CEH, and that OL should be one of our biggest priorities in the 2021 draft.

I'll add, I think you can criticize the coaching staff for how they've developed guys and who they've chosen to start.  But the characterization that the OL has been an afterthought is completely unfair.

Britts actions definitely had a effect on Reid. 
This situation may cause the chiefs to be in some hot water depending on where he was drinking. If it was in the kc facility that’s not good. 
Reid wasn’t the same guy nor was the team. Now I do t know how much this affected him, but what it did question is what EB did or didn’t do. 
maybe that’s why he wasn’t offered a job. Reid calls the shots. 
This Britt situation is gonna hang around for a while. 

Tough to say anything based on Reid's personality or the past. Having issues with your kids definitely have some major impact for any parent so it's impossible to know what a parent would do under such circumstances. Some people retire at unexpected times due to family issues and I wouldn't rule out Reid seeing his job as a distraction from his family that leads to such an outcome but in general he seems to have been through too much with his family to retire very easily. 

9 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Oh give me a break Adam. Dorsey paid all 3 of those guys, and you know it. And LDT hadn't done anything to earn that payday, not to mention he was a 6th rd pick. 

Fisher was drafted 8 yrs ago. Schwartz was drafted 9 years ago by another team. 

This team hasnt invested anything of significance in this line the last half decade and we saw the culmination of it in one giant clusterfuck on Sunday.

They tried to make chicken salad out of chicken shit 1 time too many. 

What’s he supposed to do, we have solid book end tackles going into the season.  If Dorsey would have picked a tackle in the first, everyone would be screaming about being a wasted pick.  He did pick a first round talent OT who fell because of injury but opted out so we obviously lost him. He grabbed one of the top guards in FA who was a monster for us before injury.  We didn’t need to invest heavily because we were set with veterans and starting to bring in guys who we can groom as replacements.  

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

What’s he supposed to do, we have solid book end tackles going into the season.  If Dorsey would have picked a tackle in the first, everyone would be screaming about being a wasted pick.  He did pick a first round talent OT who fell because of injury but opted out so we obviously lost him. He grabbed one of the top guards in FA who was a monster for us before injury.  We didn’t need to invest heavily because we were set with veterans and starting to bring in guys who we can groom as replacements.  

Are you referring to Kelechi Osemele as one of the top guards in free agency? He signed at the end of July for less than 2 million dollars. Free agency starts in Mid March. 

Niang was the first offensive lineman we had drafted in the top 4 rounds since Parker Ehringer in 2016.

They did need to invest heavily. I love Veach. I live Reid. I love the Chiefs. But not investing more in our line caught up with us. They won't make this mistake again. 

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

Not sure if we were ever set at OL. Chiefs have been playing without a real OC for 2 seasons, nothing at LG and a rapidly declining RG for about 3 years. We simply spent a late 3rd for Niang and a 7th for Allegretti to address those issues (including lack of a swing tackle). 

I always thought Dorsey did a very good job of finding linemen. I don't like his resignings like Fisher with 2 more years under control, and LDT but looking back he did care about Smith's safety.

LT - 1st overall for Fisher

OG - Traded for a known commodity in Grubbs, drafted Fulton, LDT, Ehinger

OC - 2nd for Morse

RT - Signed the best in the NFL in FA at a young age

I think we need a similar approach for the OL and more importantly have continuous upgrades which is the primary issue right now as we have neglected the line for a few years now and need a bunch of bodies there. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Are you referring to Kelechi Osemele as one of the top guards in free agency? He signed at the end of July for less than 2 million dollars. Free agency starts in Mid March. 

Niang was the first offensive lineman we had drafted in the top 4 rounds since Parker Ehringer in 2016.

They did need to invest heavily. I love Veach. I live Reid. I love the Chiefs. But not investing more in our line caught up with us. They won't make this mistake again. 

Not to nit pick but he was 1 year removed from being the 2nd highest paid guard in the league and 2 years removed from back to back pro bowls.  It was his injury and fight with the Jets that made  people back off.  Sorry, I shouldn't have said 'in free agency' but when healthy he was a top guard.  Also have to remember, when you talk about drafting in the first 4 rounds last year was the first time in 3 years we even had a first round pick.  Of course I do agree, I would rather have had someone on the oline instead of Hardman (hindsight speak).

Yes now is the time to invest, when we took Niang we thought we were doing that.  We were honestly set at the oline position but when you lose that many guys there's no NFL team that can survive that amount of injuries, especially when our LT goes out two weeks before the SB.