IR'd player outlooks

I forgot about some of them

8 Chiefs players who finished the season on injured reserve

Charles Goldman
Chiefs Wire
Thu, February 11, 2021, 10:11 AM
6a358db178d78df82a397645b7aeebf0

The Kansas City Chiefs had a number of players finish the season on injured reserve or the practice squad injured list. For some of those players, the future in Kansas City looks bright. For others, the injury could mark the end of their time with the team. Each player has a different outlook for the future depending upon their contract status and their specific injury.

Below you’ll find a quick breakdown of the future outlook for each of the eight Chiefs players who finished the season on injured reserve:

CB Alex Brown

2334c1c83e05520ac38038c43038567b

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Status: Exclusive rights free agent Injury: Torn ACL Outlook: Brown was the first major injury suffered by the Chiefs this year. He tore his ACL back in training camp and was placed on injured reserve ahead of the start of the 2020 NFL season. If you don't remember Brown, he was a key special teams contributor and cornerback depth during the 2019 Super Bowl LIV run. He should be well along in his recovery and the Chiefs will have the ability to re-sign him as an ERFA if they so choose.

DE Taco Charlton

7dc116942e9deb4ba47abee6cd12ff4c

AP Photo/Jeff Roberson

Status: Unrestricted free agent Injury: Fractured ankle Outlook: Charlton was just coming on for the Chiefs as a dime-package rusher when he suffered an ankle fracture that took him out for the remainder of the season. He's since had surgery to repair the ankle fracture and there seems to be some interest on his end in a reunion with Kansas City. They could opt to bring him back on a similar one-year prove-it contract, assuming his ankle is healing properly and he'll be ready for the 2021 season.

LT Eric Fisher

0684d77e83d70732c8f20a23f22ca60f

AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

Status: Under contract through 2021 Injury: Torn Achilles Outlook: Fisher suffered this injury during the AFC Championship Game and he's already had surgery to repair the injury. Rehab and recovery for Achilles injuries have pretty high variance in the NFL. It can take anywhere from eight months to a year, but for heavier players like offensive and defensive linemen, recovery tends to take longer. That leaves a big cloud of doubt around Fisher's status heading into next season and his future with the team. The Chiefs have a decision to make on Fisher as they can save around $12 million by releasing or trading him. Extending Fisher is also an option to save money with his availability for 2021 in doubt.

LB Willie Gay Jr.

c87b3bc40b77510d9b5639b31fc4012a

AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

Status: Under contract through 2023 Injury: Torn meniscus Outlook: The Chiefs' standout rookie linebacker had his season abruptly ended when he suffered a torn meniscus during practice leading up to Super Bowl LV. The recovery time on Gay's specific injury seems to put him right on track to be ready by the middle of training camp. He should be good to go and hopefully able to take on a bigger role by the start of the 2021 NFL season.

LG Kelechi Osemele

0a61bb9516a99fa593e9a78482440900

AP Photo/Reed Hoffmann

Status: Unrestricted free agent Injury: Torn tendons in both knees Outlook: This was one of the more brutal injuries of the season. Osemele tore tendons in both of his knees in a very apparent non-contact injury during Week 5 against the Las Vegas Raiders. He has since posted videos on his Instagram page of him back in the Chiefs' facility and working out. He was also spotted working with the training staff during practice late in the season. So he seems to be well along in his recovery. It's unclear the type of financial commitment Kansas City would be willing to make in 2021 given his injury and free-agent status.

RT Mitchell Schwartz

47c148a78be9f825538719a0b8913d04

AP Photo/Peter Joneleit

Status: Under contract through 2021 Injury: Back Outlook: Schwartz recently posted an update with his "end of season thoughts." He dealt with a mysterious back injury this season that went from being a day-to-day type of injury to later landing him on injured reserve for the remainder of the year. Right now, there's very little known about his injury other than it being an issue with his back. He seems to indicate that he's still working toward getting healthy and returning to football, but there's no clarity on what that looks like or how long it'll take. Like Fisher, Schwartz is in the final year of his contract. The Chiefs can save $6.2 million with his release.

CB DeAndre Baker

e7d66e053a6d16c96d063e8a0c920a64

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Status: Signed reserve/future contract for 2021 Injury: Fractured left femur Outlook: Baker suffered a non-contact leg injury in Week 17. It was described as a "clean break" to his left femur. He's already had surgery to repair the injury and was actually back in the Chiefs' facility and moving around the day after. He was placed on the practice squad injured list, which is basically injured reserve for the practice squad. It sounds like this is something that he should be able to bounce back from and that he'll be ready to start the season. The team has already signed him to a reserve/future contract, locking him up for the 2021 NFL season.

LB Emmanuel Smith

bc1ffbe94e54ae43dad3c599a26b323c

AP Photo/Brynn Anderson

Status: Signed reserve/future contract for 2021 Injury: Hamstring Outlook: Smith was a standard elevation from the practice squad in Week 15 against the New Orleans Saints. He suffered what Andy Reid described as a "tweaked hamstring." Well, this must have been one of the more severe "tweaks" because it knocked Smith out for the remainder of the year. He was placed on the practice squad injured list and never was activated from it. The team also signed him to a reserve/future deal as he's a core special teamer and solid depth for the future.

I was very hopeful for Taco this year similar to Ogbah in 2019. Looks like he might get another shot in KC with the familiarity and the probable lack of interest in FA. Osemele is likely done with football but we'll see. I think the same could be said for Schwartz. 

35 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Turns into an OL thread in 3...2...1...

When the only three effective linemen playing this season end up on IR, it is a major subject.  Like someone else posted, Osemele and Schwartz may be through and Fisher isn't expected back before mid season at best.  So yeah, this is a lot to do with the O-line.  

10 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I was very hopeful for Taco this year similar to Ogbah in 2019. Looks like he might get another shot in KC with the familiarity and the probable lack of interest in FA. Osemele is likely done with football but we'll see. I think the same could be said for Schwartz. 

his  (Schwartz) end of season "statement" was kinda odd certainly not one that seemed driven to  come back better and stronger

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

his  (Schwartz) end of season "statement" was kinda odd certainly not one that seemed driven to  come back better and stronger

Yep, I got the notion that it was more like pre-retirement. Already earned quite a bit of money and got a ring so might not be trying to come back with that mysterious back. 

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I think it's a want to come back statement, but the body is saying otherwise and will probably prevail. Back injuries suck and are not forgiving if you continue to them. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

He has video of him working out in the Chiefs facility.  And doing boxing workouts.  I think he is coming back. Which would be great.  It even states this in the article. 

1 hour ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

Not that I recall.  Is he any good?  Would he be a good fit for the Chiefs?  If so, sign him.

He is long in the tooth but always an above avg center.  Would be nice having a vet to call out protections while we develop some younger guys.   He shouldn’t be expensive either.

5 hours ago, Palangi said:

He has video of him working out in the Chiefs facility.  And doing boxing workouts.  I think he is coming back. Which would be great.  It even states this in the article. 

I think those were part of the recovery but in the end I still have doubts until I see him in TC. Hurting both knees at the same time is probably the most Chiefs injury possible :(