Watt released

35 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm confused. Why is him being released a bummer?

They mutually agreed to it. He asked and they gave it to him. I am sure they saved on money too. The bummer is now he needs to visit us.  Perfect fit for us for a couple years while we address other areas and depth. I would think we could be one of the few he goes too. Steelers only because of his brother but they are a mess here soon at QB and cap. GB or us I think it will be. We are better off for a ring than GB and we need to show it to him along with the vets we have here that can explain the atmosphere etc.

53 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

probably.. Florida has no income tax either

as long as TB12 is there we have some real competition in regards to  older players wanting a ring

Im not sure if I agree.  They have quite a few free agents that are gonna want to be paid.  They aren’t returning that same group.  Their qb is 44.  Time is undefeated.   Will they be contenders?  Maybe.

But why not play for a team that’s been there twice in two years and he has personally seen dominate with a healthy Oline.  

Tampa, KC, nor Pitt have any money to spend so if he’s going any of those three places he’s going cheap....like dirt cheap.  

Would love him here!

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Im not sure if I agree.  They have quite a few free agents that are gonna want to be paid.  They aren’t returning that same group.  Their qb is 44.  Time is undefeated.   Will they be contenders?  Maybe.

But why not play for a team that’s been there twice in two years and he has personally seen dominate with a healthy Oline.  

Tampa, KC, nor Pitt have any money to spend so if he’s going any of those three places he’s going cheap....like dirt cheap.  

Would love him here!

valid points but according to  this ..TB has $30M in cap space IF JJ comes  cheap they got space to pay  most of the FA's and JJ ..IMO but then Time will tell

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cap/2021/

55 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

valid points but according to  this ..TB has $30M in cap space IF JJ comes  cheap they got space to pay  most of the FA's and JJ ..IMO but then Time will tell

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cap/2021/

Chris Evans and Shaw Barrett will both want north of 15 million each.  Which they could back load both but that doesn’t include Gronk, David, A. Brown, and Suh.   And again with a healthy line we can beat their best group but I hear ya about the Florida tax deal.  

Texans release DE J.J. Watt: Is he a fit with the Chiefs?

Charles Goldman

Fri, February 12, 2021, 12:40 PM

Kansas City Chiefs

J.J. Watt

The Houston Texans are continuing their trend of going full scorched-earth mode on their franchise, this time releasing star DE J.J. Watt at his request.

The 32-year-old defensive end wanted to seek an opportunity with another franchise and his request was granted. He would have cost the Texans $17.5 million against their salary cap, so this mutual decision helped Houston save some money.

So where will J.J. Watt land now? Is he a fit with the Kansas City Chiefs? Well, I guess it depends on what you view as a fit.

Yes, the Chiefs have a need at the defensive end position. Right now, they have a total of four players at the position under contract for 2021. Those players are Frank Clark, Mike Danna, Tim Ward and Austin Edwards. Kansas City could absolutely use help opposite Clark, and Watt could provide that, but how much help and at what cost?

Statistically speaking, Watt is coming off of the worst 16-game season of his professional career, amassing 52 combined tackles, five sacks, seven pass breakups, and an interception on the year. It’s one of just two seasons in the last five years where he’s played in all 16 games, as injuries have been an issue. His best season during that span came in 2018 when he had 16 sacks and 60 total pressures on the year. Entering his eleventh season, you can’t help but feel his best years are behind him.

Watt is also a vested veteran, meaning he’s not subject to the NFL’s waiver-wire system. That means the rat race for his services has likely already begun and that he could find a new home soon. That’s something that will make things particularly difficult for the Chiefs as they still have their own salary cap situation to manage before they can even think about signing free agents.

It’s safe to assume that Watt is going to want to recoup some of the money that he lost in his release, which also makes things challenging for Kansas City. There are a number of other factors that could play into his decision too. If he’s chasing a Super Bowl, sign him up with either the Chiefs, Packers, Bucs or Bills. If he wants to be closer to his family, the Pittsburgh Steelers (brothers both play in Pittsburgh) and Chicago Bears (wife plays for Chicago Red Stars) make a lot of sense.

For Kansas City, signing Watt would feel more like a luxury than a necessity and I’m not sure how many luxuries this team can afford. Perhaps the best thing that could come from the Watt release is that it could push a young and cheap edge rusher down the draft board and into striking distance for the Chiefs.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

probably.. Florida has no income tax either

as long as TB12 is there we have some real competition in regards to  older players wanting a ring

He does not care about money, he wants a ring. TB with a target on its back won't make it to the sb, hwll maybe even the playoffs next year. They were 7-5 and lucky from that point. 

I am not even sure i would kick the tires.    Past 5 seasons only 2 he has been healthy and played in all 16.  He had 5 sacks this year and I'm guessing that was as a rotational player.   Even at a cheap salary and thinking using him as a rotational guy I'm not sure what you would get. Add in that we seen rotational players having to become starters because of starter injuries.   I am thinking at this point you are paying for a name and hoping that on a part time basis he can give you a little of he once was.  

Veach does a better job of getting guys under the radar vs the bigger names.  Outside of HB the bigger names haven't lived up to it even in limited roles.