Watt released

I think I remember with DoD was drafted he was supposed to fill that "Big nickel" role. He is fast and can tackle and his coverage skills aren't bad. The problem with him "WAS" (because he'll probably be cut this summer),  he can't learn the freaking playbook! 

But that DoD type of hybrid is what you need to play Sorrenson's role. The right combo of size and speed. I had very high hopes for DoD mainly because of his speed..Dude ran a 4.4 or 4.5 40. I know that's much faster than ole Dirty Dan..

30 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think I remember with DoD was drafted he was supposed to fill that "Big nickel" role. He is fast and can tackle and his coverage skills aren't bad. The problem with him "WAS" (because he'll probably be cut this summer),  he can't learn the freaking playbook! 

But that DoD type of hybrid is what you need to play Sorrenson's role. The right combo of size and speed. I had very high hopes for DoD mainly because of his speed..Dude ran a 4.4 or 4.5 40. I know that's much faster than ole Dirty Dan..

Dirty Dan has some sneaky freaky numbers when he tested.  They just don't translate and how he ever got 5 million a year is beyond me.  Solid depth player but has no busines being a starter.   Same for Niemann who should be in the XFL. 

As the J.J. Watt free agency fun closes in on two weeks, we’ve now gotten our first word on potentially how much the defender could fetch on the open market after being released by the Texans.

According to ESPN’s Dianna Russini, it’s a pretty solid number. Reportedly the three-time Defensive Player of the Year has received offers near $15-16 million per year:

While 31, Watt still has been productive in the very recent past. Pro Football Focus graded him as the NFL’s seventh best pass rusher in 2020. Considering that and his accolades, it comes as no surprise that Watt has several suitors in on him and that he may carry a nice price tag despite his age.

The Bills and Watt have reportedly been said to have a level of mutual interest. In addition, his top-three landing spots were pegged on Wednesday and those were said to be the Packers, Titans or Bills.

6 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Watt would probably give a couple million discount for a contender but those numbers are way too high for the Chiefs. I can see him going to either the Bills or the Packers but Bills are more likely. 

being that his short list appears to be Bills, Packers and Titans who are "contenders" it appears he can have his cake and eat it too.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

and that could be problematic with his legal problems

One legal problem as of now.  We can wait it out and see though too. Right now he has not been charged and all that is possibly being said are text messages he sent. He may not even get charged.  Reminds me of the Hill situation in some ways. 

What about the Romeo Okwara kid from Detroit?   Would be considerably cheaper and could potentially be a very good player.   I'm not crying over JJ Watt.   Guy is an amazing dude and was once an unstoppable force but he's now just an above avg injury-prone DT.    He would have been fun to watch next to Chris Jones but we will be fine.   If we are going to pay 15-16 million why not make a run at Shaq Barrett?  Not saying we should just saying if we are spending that kind of money why not get a healthy players or better yet sign Trent Williams or Allen Robinson/Chris Godwin.

22 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

What about the Romeo Okwara kid from Detroit?   Would be considerably cheaper and could potentially be a very good player.   I'm not crying over JJ Watt.   Guy is an amazing dude and was once an unstoppable force but he's now just an above avg injury-prone DT.    He would have been fun to watch next to Chris Jones but we will be fine.   If we are going to pay 15-16 million why not make a run at Shaq Barrett?  Not saying we should just saying if we are spending that kind of money why not get a healthy players or better yet sign Trent Williams or Allen Robinson/Chris Godwin.

Hey if we can spend money on 2 or 3 upgrades, I would rather have that. Get Robinson for Watkins or less type money.  Grab a LT or DE and we are then looking great in the draft.

On 2/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, Lamardirts said:

Dirty Dan has some sneaky freaky numbers when he tested.  They just don't translate and how he ever got 5 million a year is beyond me.  Solid depth player but has no busines being a starter.   Same for Niemann who should be in the XFL. 

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Hey if we can spend money on 2 or 3 upgrades, I would rather have that. Get Robinson for Watkins or less type money.  Grab a LT or DE and we are then looking great in the draft.

The arrowhead podcast said we could potentially get above 30 million in cap space.  Which if done correctly is enough to grab 2 upper tier FA and a handful of vet minimum guys.

Where we draft the WR's in round one don't hold much value so I would definitely make a FA wr the top priority.    A DE opposite Clark would help the entire defense immensely but our D is good enough as is if we had to roll next year as is.   There will be good OL value in the first round and 2nd round but I would pursue a LT in FA as well.   If Schwartz does come back then between him and Niang the RT position is locked up and Rankin (here's looking at you luvhouse) /LDT/Durant cand hold down RG leaving LT, LG, C depeneding on how you feel about Allegretti.   I know Trent Williams is older but dude is a brick house.   If we are going to make a run at it might as well get a stone wall for the next two years and drafting a developmental LT in the mid rounds.

So my two FA crushes are Trent Williams and Allen Robinson.  

1.  Jaelan Phillips DE - Stud DE opposite Frank

2.  Brevin Jordan TE - This offense is gonna be historically scary with Robinson and Jordan.

3.  Jackson Carman - Developmental LT - Starting LG

4.  Tony Fields - WLB - Ben Nieman's replacement .... my new favorite Chief.

5.  JaCoby Stevens - S - Sorensens replacement

6.  Greg Eliand - Massive OG prospect

7.  LaBryan Ray - DT Rotational Depth

On 2/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, Lamardirts said:

What doesn't Dirty Dan translate to?  He's a solid player.  He gets a ton of hate because he was asked to do Eric Berry things and he's not Eric Berry.   Dude isn't going to the HOF, but he's not worthy of the ridicule Chiefs fans give him.  He's a 3rd safety that plays situational roles very well.  It's not like he had a 19 million cap hit to fail at rushing the passer all year...

32 minutes ago, moons314 said:

What doesn't Dirty Dan translate to?  He's a solid player.  He gets a ton of hate because he was asked to do Eric Berry things and he's not Eric Berry.   Dude isn't going to the HOF, but he's not worthy of the ridicule Chiefs fans give him.  He's a 3rd safety that plays situational roles very well.  It's not like he had a 19 million cap hit to fail at rushing the passer all year...

He's decent in small doses which is what fooled the front office in trying to make him a starter. When put in a starter role he simply sucked but always found ways to come up with some big plays to justify keeping him around. However it's time for an upgrade as he's not really getting vet minimum. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

He's decent in small doses which is what fooled the front office in trying to make him a starter. When put in a starter role he simply sucked but always found ways to come up with some big plays to justify keeping him around. However it's time for an upgrade as he's not really getting vet minimum. 

When was he ever a starter that wasn’t due to injury of someone else?