Possibility of trading Jones?

I for one hope we don’t.  I don’t love every aspect of his game but he’s dominant and is the only true consistent pass rusher on this team.   

However,  if you could net a first and later pick while shedding the 20 million making room for another  couple of FAs.

My biggest issue is he doesn’t seem like a leader and his blaming the refs after the game over and over doesn’t seem like the kind of mentality that a tough defenses needs.  Even though the refs did screw us.  

Veach designed his contract for this very possibility.  Just curious what y’all’s thoughts are.  

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

if we could just get a top 15-20 pick out of him  I'd be happy..yes he is dominate at times but he  also has a punk streak in him that I dont like...personally too much Chester McGlockon in him for my liking

Players that can’t control themselves in the biggest moments are not the cerebral players that a dynasty needs to be built around.   Again he is Uber talented but nabbing a top 15 pick and dumping that salary could help long term but only if you were able to get a stud DE opposite Frank and sign a guy like Watt.  

Again I’m curious if y’all think KC would pull the trigger?

My thought is we already have enough holes to fill without creating another. He has pros/cons like anyone, but how many years did we strike out trying to draft a good DT? Can net us some picks, but there's this assumption the players we select will all be like Hill or Kelce and not KPass, Breeland Speaks, or Turk McBride.

Focus on OL and DE at the top of the draft.  Jones may be a next year problem at the earliest. 

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

His sack stats are a major downward trend. KC would be lucky to get a 2 or 3 for him. If he continues, he’d get like only 4 or 5 sacks next year.

once again  JMO here but Sacks are an over rated stat..IMO .. just good push and pressure  can do as much if not more damage but he's no Aaron Donald getting AD $$ and that is not good value

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

once again  JMO her but Sacks are an over rated stat..IMO .. just good push and pressure  can do as much if not more damage

He probably had more slaps to the head for 15 yards than sacks. I am just saying, he was not game changing disruptive like 2018 this past year. And if he was so dominant, a pity Frank Clark couldn’t take advantage of the 1 on 1 matchups when CJ is doubled.

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

My thought is we already have enough holes to fill without creating another. He has pros/cons like anyone, but how many years did we strike out trying to draft a good DT? Can net us some picks, but there's this assumption the players we select will all be like Hill or Kelce and not KPass, Breeland Speaks, or Turk McBride.

Focus on OL and DE at the top of the draft.  Jones may be a next year problem at the earliest. 

I think you are right that this is a potential next year problem.   We also were running up the score like in years past which gives less pass rush opportunities.  With that said another edge rusher will help everyone on the dline.   Hoping someone like Jaelan Phillips falls to us at 31.   

38 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

trading players is generally the same cap hit as cutting them, exceptions apply to the way contracts are worded. basically looks like jones in a chief next year no matter what and is then cuttable. 

Not true.  

If Jones is cut YES there is zero cap savings and about $22M in dead money OUCH!  BUT if he is traded we will actually save over $20M in cap and have very little dead money.

5 hours ago, Balto said:

Not true.  

If Jones is cut YES there is zero cap savings and about $22M in dead money OUCH!  BUT if he is traded we will actually save over $20M in cap and have very little dead money.

You’re right, chris jones signed a deal with no signing bonus so we save 20m if traded.

looks like we can trade frank clark and save 5.4 mil. I would definitely see if there is a team out there to take clark off our hands

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

You’re right, chris jones signed a deal with no signing bonus so we save 20m if traded.

looks like we can trade frank clark and save 5.4 mil. I would definitely see if there is a team out there to take clark off our hands

Between the 2 Clark would be the 1 to trade. Jones ya has his faults but the guy can still be a game wrecker.