Free agent rumor(s)

here's one https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/jason-kelce-rumor/

& here's vague USA article about the many Eagles that may be released seems the cap savings  are different

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2021/02/16/carson-wentz-wont-be-only-eagles-veteran-traded-or-released/6761796002/

Jason Kelce, center

This decision will likely be entirely up to Kelce, given his continued high level of play last season, when he was selected to the Pro Bowl, and his revered status on the team.

Kelce has contemplated retirement over the last few seasons before deciding to return. It's likely that he'll think about it again this offseason. This time, there might be more reasons to go through with it.

For one, the Eagles are clearly on a youth movement with a new head coach. Secondly, Kelce is 33 and has played through several injuries the past few seasons.

If Kelce retires, the Eagles could restructure his contract to the league minimum (as long as the retirement isn't official until after June 1) while making up the difference in 2022. That would save about $4.3 million this season.

The Saints are doing this with quarterback Drew Brees for example, before making his retirement official after June 1. If Kelce returns for an 11th season, the Eagles would likely try to restructure anyway, as he has an $8.4 million cap hit in 2021.

As for center, the Eagles could try left guard Isaac Seumalo, right guard Nate Herbig or Luke Juriga, an undrafted free agent last season who got in for some snaps.

Cap savings: About $4.3 million.

58 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

it would be nice if links were provided for context but I have been guilty of not always providing links so I'm in no position to lecture

I found it. This is an account with 34 fucking followers. So this can be filed away in the "total bullshit" department for the time being. The cap savings isn't even accurate. 

Here is a link for his release.  But it also talks about how they have 2 guards they will move to center to replace him or a practice squad guy.  

Why are we discussing a 33 year old whose team is trying to get rid of him? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/2/18/22289255/eagles-jason-kelce-trade-rumors-nfl-news-chiefs-center-roster-outlook-philadelphia-offensive-line

We have a young guy that played guard that was drafted to be a center.  And he showed to be pretty good. 

We also have our own practice squad guy we could bring up.  

But hell he's a vet and travis brother.  So he is a must sign....!

I’ve been asking for Kelce for years buuuut of course now that he might become available I’m just not sure how much he could give us.  Yes he is still performing like a top 5 center but for how much longer?

What would be great is if we upgrade LT in FA....Let our young guys battle for RT and a guard spot......draft a guard early, maybe even at 31......sign Kelce to man center on a 2 year deal that can be cut after 1.....draft a center in the mid rounds to compete for backup with other guys and groom behind Kelce

LT:  Trent Williams

LG:  Camp Battle/Stud Rookie

OC:  Kelce

RG:  Camp Battle/Stud Rookie

RT:  Camp Battle

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Here is a link for his release.  But it also talks about how they have 2 guards they will move to center to replace him or a practice squad guy.  

Why are we discussing a 33 year old whose team is trying to get rid of him? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/2/18/22289255/eagles-jason-kelce-trade-rumors-nfl-news-chiefs-center-roster-outlook-philadelphia-offensive-line

We have a young guy that played guard that was drafted to be a center.  And he showed to be pretty good. 

We also have our own practice squad guy we could bring up.  

But hell he's a vet and travis brother.  So he is a must sign....!

And we know he can play center? Because all the practice and game time he has played there? Hell, if so he could not even beat out Reiter but he did excel enough to be the LG. Sorry, I would rather go with Kelce and his experience, them draft one too that does play center. Also can teach the young guy too.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

And we know he can play center? Because all the practice and game time he has played there? Hell, if so he could not even beat out Reiter but he did excel enough to be the LG. Sorry, I would rather go with Kelce and his experience, them draft one too that does play center. Also can teach the young guy too.

Yes I know veterans make you feel warm and fuzzy.  It's like Tommy Boy,  the movie.  I could take a dump in a box and slap a guarantee on it....

Philosophy is getting him ready with nobody in place.  And other spots on their line to fill still. If kelce is a top 5 center still why let him go when you need lineman? I bet you anything there are wise contacts in that team than the 5.5 million kelce is owed.  Which would be a steal for a top 5 center in this league.  

The excuse of not beating out Reiter has been discussed at nauseum, so let's not use that.  Allegretti was better than Remmers yet Remmers replaced Osemele, not Allegretti. Why?

Kelce is being dumped with only 2 guards and a practice squad guy in mind to replace him.  But let's run out spend the money on a guy like this who is being dumped because he was awesome at 29 yards old. 

9 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

And also Allegretti has played center.  In college and the pros but whatever

1 minute ago, Palangi said:

And also Allegretti has played center.  In college and the pros but whatever

Never saw him play in the pros at center. I know he did in college but limited play there. He was 2nd all big ten as a guard but as we know Chiefs like guys who are versatile. 

He started at guard in all 12 of Illinois' games last season but slid over to center five times between his sophomore and junior campaigns. 

This was his total game experience at Center. 5 times.

Again, he has yet to show it in the pros. If he can't beat out a guy like Reiter, that shows a lot imo. I rather get Kelce and draft a true center like we did with Morse or Hudson type. Then have Allegretti as your back up to them if it became an emergency. 

16 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Yes I know veterans make you feel warm and fuzzy.  It's like Tommy Boy,  the movie.  I could take a dump in a box and slap a guarantee on it....

Philosophy is getting him ready with nobody in place.  And other spots on their line to fill still. If kelce is a top 5 center still why let him go when you need lineman? I bet you anything there are wise contacts in that team than the 5.5 million kelce is owed.  Which would be a steal for a top 5 center in this league.  

The excuse of not beating out Reiter has been discussed at nauseum, so let's not use that.  Allegretti was better than Remmers yet Remmers replaced Osemele, not Allegretti. Why?

Kelce is being dumped with only 2 guards and a practice squad guy in mind to replace him.  But let's run out spend the money on a guy like this who is being dumped because he was awesome at 29 yards old. 

You put to much into plug and play like it will instantly upgrade us. I stand by the fact if he could not beat out Reiters.... that is a sad deal. He did prove himself against Remmers and it showed enough to the coaches to put him in then. Do you think they would not do so it he had done it against Reiters? 

Kelce probably will retire. I only see him coming here to play with his brother. He probably told it so to the Eagles. Either he retires or they can release and save cap knowing he will be gone. 

And no, veterans do not make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Neither does putting guys there just because they played the spot once before. Again you must have missed me saying repeatedly to draft behind Kelce to learn. This pushes Reiters as out and Allegretti at 3rd center if it came to that. 

Edit: I also want the best we can do for our line. Imagine a healthy and well protected Mahomes having time to throw. I have no faith in a guy who could not play before Reiters.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Never saw him play in the pros at center. I know he did in college but limited play there. He was 2nd all big ten as a guard but as we know Chiefs like guys who are versatile. 

He started at guard in all 12 of Illinois' games last season but slid over to center five times between his sophomore and junior campaigns. 

This was his total game experience at Center. 5 times.

Again, he has yet to show it in the pros. If he can't beat out a guy like Reiter, that shows a lot imo. I rather get Kelce and draft a true center like we did with Morse or Hudson type. Then have Allegretti as your back up to them if it became an emergency. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/5/5/18530300/expect-chiefs-rookie-nick-allegretti-to-compete-for-teams-starting-center-position

I'll ask you again... why didn't Allegretti go on over Remmers when Osemele got hurt? Allegretti showed to be the better player all year.  But the VET went in first.  

Your Allegretti can't beat out Reiter argument lies in that question

4 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

You put to much into plug and play like it will instantly upgrade us. I stand by the fact if he could not beat out Reiters.... that is a sad deal. He did prove himself against Remmers and it showed enough to the coaches to put him in then. Do you think they would not do so it he had done it against Reiters? 

Kelce probably will retire. I only see him coming here to play with his brother. He probably told it so to the Eagles. Either he retires or they can release and save cap knowing he will be gone. 

And no, veterans do not make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Neither does putting guys there just because they played the spot once before. Again you must have missed me saying repeatedly to draft behind Kelce to learn. This pushes Reiters as out and Allegretti at 3rd center if it came to that. 

He only went in because Schwartz got hurt and Remmers had to go to RT. The coaches did not put the better player in over the vet by choice. 

How is Allegretti plug and play? If you take the time to research and read the article I posted he was drafted with center a his future.  

But since you're afraid of pug and play let's just bring Reiter, Wylie, and Remmers back.  Find 2 other starters and let's keep it together,  continuity right? 

Just now, Palangi said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/5/5/18530300/expect-chiefs-rookie-nick-allegretti-to-compete-for-teams-starting-center-position

I'll ask you again... why didn't Allegretti go on over Remmers when Osemele got hurt? Allegretti showed to be the better player all year.  But the VET went in first.  

Your Allegretti can't beat out Reiter argument lies in that question

Again, training camp. They tried him out and still went with Reiters. I answered your other remmwrs question above. He did beat him out and played the rest of the year. 2 years trying at center he could not do it with Reiters? Come on, evem when they went to someone diffwrwnt for Reiters it was not Allegretti now was it? 

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

He only went in because Schwartz got hurt and Remmers had to go to RT. The coaches did not put the better player in over the vet by choice. 

How is Allegretti plug and play? If you take the time to research and read the article I posted he was drafted with center a his future.  

But since you're afraid of pug and play let's just bring Reiter, Wylie, and Remmers back.  Find 2 other starters and let's keep it together,  continuity right? 

My God, this is nauseating. Plug and play because you feel he will do great there.  He has not done jack shit in 2 years and played 5 whole games in college. They knew he was a guard and one they thought could play center.  Guess they went with him at guard where he was an 2nd team all big ten player. 

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Again, training camp. They tried him out and still went with Reiters. I answered your other remmwrs question above. He did beat him out and played the rest of the year. 2 years trying at center he could not do it with Reiters? Come on, evem when they went to someone diffwrwnt for Reiters it was not Allegretti now was it? 

Still went with Remmers, which was the wrong choice.  

He didn't beat him out.  He got in because of another injury. 

Just now, kkuenn said:

My God, this is nauseating. Plug and play because you feel he will do great there.  He has not done jack shit in 2 years and played 5 whole games in college. They knew he was a guard and one they thought could play center.  Guess they went with him at guard where he was an 2nd team all big ten player. 

And they like him as center.  Why hate on the idea that we have a center already on the roster? 

So you can waste money on a veteran?  To make you feel warm and fuzzy? 

12 hours ago, Palangi said:

You are being obtuse. I love the idea of Allegretti at C myself. But if they wanna leave him at LG and bring in a vet like Kelce for 1 year and draft his replacement, it could be a solid plan. Jason Kelce has literally NEVER had a season where he didn't grade out as an above average starter.

The Eagles are 40 million over the cap and have an entirely new, young coaching staff and a new, young starting QB. They may be entering a bit of a rebuild and they need to dump a some veteran contracts. 

You act like you are offended that other fans have a plan they like better than ours at center.

Your own article which I have been saying exactly. They like his versatility and intrigue to play center.  Evidently it had not translated to the NFL but notice what they say about his guard play. What I have been saying. Researched it and it backed up what I had said.

“He had a chance to go to the East-West (Shrine) game and he actually played guard and center there,” Veach said. “His center tape was really what kind of caught our eye. You guys know how we feel about guys who have versatility. This is a guy that played guard in the Big Ten, did a really good job. Goes to the East-West game, plays guard, plays a little center and then all of the sudden you watch the East-West game and watch him log game snaps at center, and he looked really good at doing that.”

I was always our backup center,” Allegretti, who started 20 games at guard over his last two years at Illinois, said. “Played six or seven games (at center) in college and then was the number two (center) all four years.”

Backup in college. Now depth there if needed.

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

You are being obtuse. I love the idea of Allegretti at C myself. But if they wanna leave him at LG and bring in a vet like Kelce for 1 year and draft his replacement, it could be a solid plan. Jason Kelce has literally NEVER had a season where he didn't grade out as an above average starter.

The Eagles are 40 million over the cap and have an entirely new, young coaching staff and a new young starting QB. They may be entering a bit of a rebuild and they need to dump a some veteran contracts. 

You act like you are offended that other fans have a plan they like better than ours at center.

But why, if we have our center already.  Why waste the money.  Why sign s guy who at this point might be close to Reiter but with more.  

Put Allegretti at center let him grow with Mahomes.  Get another guard and tackle to go with Rankin and Niang.

This isn't obtuse. It's we have to spend better because of our situation and an old center on the down slide isn't a good option. 

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Your own article which I have been saying exactly. They like his versatility and intrigue to play center.  Evidently it had not translated to the NFL but notice what they say about his guard play. What I have been saying. Researched it and it backed up what I had said.

“He had a chance to go to the East-West (Shrine) game and he actually played guard and center there,” Veach said. “His center tape was really what kind of caught our eye. You guys know how we feel about guys who have versatility. This is a guy that played guard in the Big Ten, did a really good job. Goes to the East-West game, plays guard, plays a little center and then all of the sudden you watch the East-West game and watch him log game snaps at center, and he looked really good at doing that.”

I was always our backup center,” Allegretti, who started 20 games at guard over his last two years at Illinois, said. “Played six or seven games (at center) in college and then was the number two (center) all four years.”

Backup in college. Now depth there if needed.

"It was his CENTER tape that really caught our eye"

Thank you for posting that.  I appreciate it

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The Eagles are 40 million over the cap and have an entirely new, young coaching staff and a new young starting QB. They may be entering a bit of a rebuild and they need to dump a some veteran contracts. 

I just don't understand the running to an old on the down side of his career as the best option.  

You want to talk about Ethan Pocic as a free agent option i would listen more.  

We don't need to get rid of Reiter to bring in another, at this point in his career

3 minutes ago, Palangi said:

"It was his CENTER tape that really caught our eye"

Thank you for passing that.  I appreciate it

Center tape during one week.....Jesus get that? East West Shrine game. Versatility they tried but he is better at guard. Very limited game and experience at center.  Jeez, I mean he still after 2 years has not done it.

1 minute ago, Palangi said:

I just don't understand the running to an old on the down side of his career as the best option.  

You want to talk about Ethan Pocic as a free agent option i would listen more.  

We don't need to get rid of Reiter to bring in another, at this point in his career

I don't care who they bring in as long as it is an upgrade. I have said it and put out there Kelce looks to be available. I even said draft one too if we get him. You are the one hell bent on Allegretti to center. Why?

Does it save you money to be used elsewhere even though he may get Mahomes killed playing there? Maybe it saves a pick in the draft? I mean we have been skimping on the higher line picks so much we want a 7th round pick to play at a position he has not shown much at? All this to save picks for what then? 

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Center tape during one week.....Jesus get that? East West Shrine game. Versatility they tried but he is better at guard. Very limited game and experience at center.  Jeez, I mean he still after 2 years has not done it.

The guy you want to sign is getting pushed out for 2 guys have even less experience at Center than Allegretti.  

Does this matter? 

You obviously don't follow how loyal or coaches are to the players.  Let's not act like it was Allegretti ability that kept him from beating out Reiter.  Just as it was the same with Remmers. Which you can't answer still