Free agent rumor(s)

I do like the idea of a veteran stopgap center.   We will probably have a few younger guys on the Oline and a veteran presence calling out protections isn't a bad thing.  Plus you don't have to play at Rodney Hudson's level to be an upgrade over Reiter.    

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

That is what I was thinking.   Offer them a 6th or 7th and slot him in at LG.   But a kid drafted in the first round who can't stay out of trouble after a team invested millions in you is probably asking for trouble.   What a busted pick by the Titans.

Perfect for us. These type of players we seem to go after and have the right environment for them with Reid and company.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I do like the idea of a veteran stopgap center.   We will probably have a few younger guys on the Oline and a veteran presence calling out protections isn't a bad thing.  Plus you don't have to play at Rodney Hudson's level to be an upgrade over Reiter.    

Forget the stopgaps and draft a plug and play OC this year.  Except for a sixth rounder, the Chiefs' line in the SB consisted of stop gaps.  Reiter, Wiz, Remmers.  All brought i to fill a role they couldn't handle at a starter level.  Draft the talent.  It's cheaper and better in the long term.  Stop gaps are necessary at times, but not the way to build a solid line.   My fear is that if the Chiefs don't draft a starting OC, we'll see Reiter back next fall. 

On 2/27/2021 at 1:19 AM, jetlord said:

Forget the stopgaps and draft a plug and play OC this year.  Except for a sixth rounder, the Chiefs' line in the SB consisted of stop gaps.  Reiter, Wiz, Remmers.  All brought i to fill a role they couldn't handle at a starter level.  Draft the talent.  It's cheaper and better in the long term.  Stop gaps are necessary at times, but not the way to build a solid line.   My fear is that if the Chiefs don't draft a starting OC, we'll see Reiter back next fall. 

I agree that if we want this to be a dynasty we are going to have to draft well each and every year.   With that said where we draft it is going to be hard to find a plug and play LT which protects Mahomes blind side.   Stopgaps are inevitable because of injuries and because this team is top loaded with big contracts but agree that Oline needs to be drafted in the top 4 rounds each and every year regardless.   

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I agree that if we want this to be a dynasty we are going to have to draft well each and every year.   With that said where we draft it is going to be hard to find a plug and play LT which protects Mahomes blind side.   Stopgaps are inevitable because of injuries and because this team is top loaded with big contracts but agree that Oline needs to be drafted in the top 4 rounds each and every year regardless.   

Let's hope the Chiefs draft #32 or #31 every year.  That means they don't get a Sewell in the draft.  The NFL wants it that way  But they can get solid players at the end of each round.  We've mentioned about five or six who are possibilities and it's up to the scouts and staff to sort through them and find the winners.  The Chiefs took Sneed at the end of the fourth and he's a first round talent.  Maybe we get too hung up on the big names at the top of each position and forget that not all All-Pros are first rounders.  The choice isn't between top of the draft or FA.  It's building with late in each round picks or struggling with stop gaps. 

Part of this article from Veach.

"I can't see us running out of the gates the first week in free agency and signing a receiver. I don't think that's where we're at. If the market falls and things make sense for us, we'll be smart and selective. If something doesn't work out for us in free agency, I think there's enough depth to allow us to address it potentially in the draft."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30985061/kansas-city-chiefs-hoping-qb-patrick-mahomes-toe-surgery-ready-june-mini-camp

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Part of this article from Veach.

"I can't see us running out of the gates the first week in free agency and signing a receiver. I don't think that's where we're at. If the market falls and things make sense for us, we'll be smart and selective. If something doesn't work out for us in free agency, I think there's enough depth to allow us to address it potentially in the draft."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30985061/kansas-city-chiefs-hoping-qb-patrick-mahomes-toe-surgery-ready-june-mini-camp

How much of that is real vs keeping the cards close to the vest?    He also said he would like Sammy back, but Sammy isn't worth a dime over $5 million and I can't see Sammy taking that nor do I really want to pay a guy $5 million to ride the pine because of various ailments.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:23 PM, Palangi said:

Here is a link for his release.  But it also talks about how they have 2 guards they will move to center to replace him or a practice squad guy.  

Why are we discussing a 33 year old whose team is trying to get rid of him? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/2/18/22289255/eagles-jason-kelce-trade-rumors-nfl-news-chiefs-center-roster-outlook-philadelphia-offensive-line

We have a young guy that played guard that was drafted to be a center.  And he showed to be pretty good. 

We also have our own practice squad guy we could bring up.  

But hell he's a vet and travis brother.  So he is a must sign....!

Just a note- in 2009 the Ravens signed 32 yr old Matt Birk at Center, solidified the line and then won a SB in 2012- Kelce just turned 33 in Nov

Kelce is a leader; hes the one who went on the rant about the entore organization in December https://www.inquirer.com/newsletters/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-week-14-new-orleans-saints-jalen-hurts-jason-kelce-malcolm-jenkins-20201210.html

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Reading that Gabe Jackson, who can play either G spot, will be released by the Raiders.

if he was to make $9 mil I'm sure he won't lower his price to something the Chiefs could afford and he's 30 yo.  Seems to some 30 is the kiss of death.

In my fantasy world the Chiefs would sign Gabe and Kelce, draft a swing tackle  withe the #1 pick even if it meant trading up and ride with it

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

if he was to make $9 mil I'm sure he won't lower his price to something the Chiefs could afford and he's 30 yo.  Seems to some 30 is the kiss of death.

In my fantasy world the Chiefs would sign Gabe and Kelce, draft a swing tackle  withe the #1 pick even if it meant trading up and ride with it

Has Kelce been released yet? You guys and your magic 8 balls.

Ok so maybe Trent Williams will be out of range for us even if we cut Fish and Schwartz.

Rosenthal recently spoke with Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network and expressed that Williams could find himself in high demand in a couple of weeks.

"He is (going to hit free agency) because his agent was smart enough to put a no franchise tag clause in his last contract, and he went out and he balled," Rosenthal said. "I feel like people don't know how good Trent Williams is. I think he's going to be in Canton one day, especially if he stays healthy for the rest of his career. At his age, 32, turning 33, guys can play left tackle for four, five, six more years at a high level. He is one of the strongest left tackles we have ever seen in the NFL, and he's coming off a season where I think he played as well as any left tackle in the league.

"A lot of talk about, oh, the cap's going down. It's not going to matter for Trent Williams. He is going to get paid. I think he will be the highest-paid player in free agency and very possibly the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL."

46 minutes ago, Balto said:

Ok so maybe Trent Williams will be out of range for us even if we cut Fish and Schwartz.

Rosenthal recently spoke with Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network and expressed that Williams could find himself in high demand in a couple of weeks.

"He is (going to hit free agency) because his agent was smart enough to put a no franchise tag clause in his last contract, and he went out and he balled," Rosenthal said. "I feel like people don't know how good Trent Williams is. I think he's going to be in Canton one day, especially if he stays healthy for the rest of his career. At his age, 32, turning 33, guys can play left tackle for four, five, six more years at a high level. He is one of the strongest left tackles we have ever seen in the NFL, and he's coming off a season where I think he played as well as any left tackle in the league.

"A lot of talk about, oh, the cap's going down. It's not going to matter for Trent Williams. He is going to get paid. I think he will be the highest-paid player in free agency and very possibly the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL."

Of course, agents would never over-hype a client.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Of course, agents would never over-hype a client.

Yep. And let him have no ring then or a chance at one. I mean if it is all about the money dir him, I hope he gets it. He deserves it. Hell if we could cut or trade both our tackles and use that money for him I would. Slide Niang at RT and draft a center.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yep. And let him have no ring then or a chance at one. I mean if it is all about the money dir him, I hope he gets it. He deserves it. Hell if we could cut or trade both our tackles and use that money for him I would. Slide Niang at RT and draft a center.

100% agree