Free agent rumor(s)

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How are we the only team that has had zero news regarding cuts, restructures, etc...

Probably because it is all done but waiting to be announced? They can do so much in house that I can't see many cuts will happen.

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I haven't heard of 1 cap clearing move. At all.

veach isn't going to do anything until cap numbers are official. Like mentioned on here....the plans are there plan A, plan B etc....just waiting. What I don't know is who is on veaches cut list. The reason I bring this up is because cutting people early to allow them time in the FA market. We must not have anyone that fits that criteria I guess.

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I may be wrong but does the team not have chance to sign a player before making the cut to free up said $$$??

They have to be under the cap by 3/17 as far as I know. 1st day of league year. So even restructures that create space should be forthcoming. Unless everything we've heard about them being over the cap was bs.

I figured they want it done going into next Monday when the legal tampering period begins. To have some kind of flexibility. 

15 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

veach isn't going to do anything until cap numbers are official. Like mentioned on here....the plans are there plan A, plan B etc....just waiting. What I don't know is who is on veaches cut list. The reason I bring this up is because cutting people early to allow them time in the FA market. We must not have anyone that fits that criteria I guess.

https://insidethestar.com/nfl-releases-official-salary-cap-number-for-2021/

I think the main thing will be getting at or under the $182.5, which shouldn't be that hard with just doing a few easy things like extending HB and such.  

I still think we could be players in FA and just have year one cap be lean knowing the cap will sky rocket when the TV deal gets done before next season.

52 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

OT Riley Reiff available 

Honestly would rather have a restructured Fisher at LT BUT how about Reiff at Guard?  

EDIT:  Looks like he did play some LG in college and also Vikings looked at moving him to guard as well.  Last year he is even on record of saying he would have no problem playing guard as long as it helps the team!

Could be a good LG for us.

https://sports.yahoo.com/does-nfl-182-5-million-161448649.html

What does NFL’s $182.5 million salary cap mean for the Chiefs?

Charles Goldman

Wed, March 10, 2021, 10:14 AM

More content below

Kansas City Chiefs

The NFL has officially set its salary cap at $182.5 million for the 2021 NFL season.

Each year the NFL’s salary cap is determined based upon the profit and net loss of the year prior. Teams planned years in advance for an increase from last year’s $198.2 million salary cap. Things are a little different this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact and it’s left some teams in a tough financial situation.

The Kansas City Chiefs are one of the teams that will be tasked with cutting costs in order to get salary cap compliant. As of right now, both Spotrac and OverTheCap are projecting that the Chiefs are in the neighborhood of $21 million over this year’s $182.5 million number. That figure might sound like a lot, but other teams like the New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Rams, and Philadelphia Eagles are much worse off.

The truth is, Brett Veach has already told us how he plans to get under the salary cap. During his media availability just a week ago, Veach explained that the team plans to free up money by restructuring contracts.

As I previously illustrated, Kansas City can get under the salary cap with a few pen strokes, converting roster bonus money to signing bonus on a number of players currently under contract. Other teams may be forced to release players in order to get under the cap, but the Chiefs are uniquely situated where they don’t have to do much of that. They can create upward of $30 million in cap space, just using this method alone.

There are still a few key players to keep an eye on in terms of cuts (Eric Fisher) and extensions (Tyrann Mathieu), but for the most part, the team will be able to get compliant with the $182.5 million number without making those moves. If the team wants to free up enough space to become a major player in free agency this year, things could get a little dicey.

Remember, the team will also need somewhere between $6-8 million to sign their 2021 NFL draft picks. They have some restricted free agents they’d like to retain too. Before you know it, all the money you freed to become complaint is spoken for.

Without question, Veach and his staff have some work to do and they have just a week to execute it.

$6-8 million seems a bit high for the rookie pool. Looking at #31 figures in 2020 we would have a cap hit of $1.3M (1st) + $350K (2nd) + $210K(3rd) and that's pretty much it. So it takes less than 2 million to sign all rookies, obviously that can go up or down based on how the contracts are structured but we don't really need that much cap to sign rookies.

HB's new deal should already be in the works and will likely be done soon and as mentioned there are ways to create cap space so Chiefs might be in better shape than expected.