Free agent rumor(s)

2 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

Do we want LDT after a year off? 

Not sure.  Since he's going to be paid anyway and there's a chance he may be the best OG aside from Thuney this year, there's no choice but to at least let LDT compete for a starting job.  If he was a FA, I'm not so sure he would get paid all that much for a chance to compete.  

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Not sure.  Since he's going to be paid anyway and there's a chance he may be the best OG aside from Thuney this year, there's no choice but to at least let LDT compete for a starting job.  If he was a FA, I'm not so sure he would get paid all that much for a chance to compete.  

Maybe Long took that year off to heal physically and mentally after all those injuries. If Long's price tag is the same or less than LDT...we should sign him. There's no question he's better than LDT.

Cardinals acquired C Rodney Hudson and a seventh-round pick from the Raiders in exchange for a third-round pick.

Hudson, 32 this summer, wanted out of Vegas, and the Raiders were initially rumored to be releasing him, only to realize they could actually deal him for something of value. They get a Day 2 pick in return. In Arizona, Hudson will kick Mason Cole out of the starting center spot after Cole graded out as Pro Football Focus' sixth-worst center last season. Hudson came in at No. 8 overall in PFF's rankings and remains one of the better pivots in football.

Chiefs extended a second-round tender on restricted free agent CB Charvarius Ward.

It means Ward will be back with in Kansas City for the 2021 season. Ward, 25, was the Chiefs' No. 2 outside corner last season in DC Steve Spagnuolo's overachieving Cover 2 defense. With Breshaud Breeland's status up in the air, the front office may have some work to do at cornerback in the upcoming draft. Ward was an undrafted free agent in 2018.

10 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Good move for Ward.  Niemann not so much, but expected.

I like it. Niemann as a reserve at reserve pay is ok. Ward and Fenton on the outside keeps Sneed on the inside. Less holes to fill. Fenton had good grades last season and could also go inside with Sneed outside. Now lets get another LB and some pass rush. Veach has a plan. TRUST in VEACH.

Ward, 24, has been one of the team’s starting outside corners for the past two seasons. By placing a second-round contract tender on him, the Chiefs commit to paying Ward a salary of $3.4 million in 2021. He is free to negotiate with other teams, but Kansas City has the right to match any offer — and if Ward signs with another team, it must compensate the Chiefs with a second-round draft pick.

Ward — who played his college ball at Middle Tennessee State — joined the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2018. Just before the start of the regular season, they traded him to the Chiefs for offensive lineman Parker Ehinger — who never played a down for the Cowboys.

Niemann, 25, entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent for the Chiefs in 2018, the final year former defensive coordinator Bob Sutton spent with the club. Niemann made the team under Steve Spagnuolo in 2019 and in 2020 — and his role has grown in each season. Niemann saw 5% of defensive snaps in 2018, 36% in 2019 and 43% in 2020.

He is also a key player for special teams coordinator Dave Toub.

Niemann registered 44 tackles (29 solo), three tackles for loss, 1.0 sack and three quarterback hits in 2020. He also forced a fumble and recovered two.

32 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Niemann, 25, entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent for the Chiefs in 2018, the final year former defensive coordinator Bob Sutton spent with the club. Niemann made the team under Steve Spagnuolo in 2019 and in 2020 — and his role has grown in each season. Niemann saw 5% of defensive snaps in 2018, 36% in 2019 and 43% in 2020.

He is also a key player for special teams coordinator Dave Toub.

Niemann registered 44 tackles (29 solo), three tackles for loss, 1.0 sack and three quarterback hits in 2020. He also forced a fumble and recovered two.

That version makes him seem a Promising player. I agree with this more.

What does this mean for the 2021 Chiefs?

First, for Niemann, the phrasing of "re-signing" when he could have been original-round tendered makes me assume Niemann's deal will be a cheap one and his role will be as a core special teamer and a rotational linebacker in 2021 as second-year linebacker Willie Gay Jr. sees an increased role alongside starting veteran linebacker Anthony Hitchens. I know Niemann isn't exactly a fan-favorite and he absolutely shouldn't be one of the team's top three linebackers, but on special teams and in a limited role, he's a fine fit.

I got no problem with Neiman as a backup. Getting nearly half the defensive snaps? Not so much. I remember the day when people wanted to see "more" of Neiman not less. The guy looks literally lost in coverage snaps.