Free agent rumor(s)

Just curious about the board's opinion as to who at this point is the best option at LT for 2021? Is it one of the existing remaining FAs on the market (Reiff, Villanueva, Okung)....draft a starting LT...wait on other potential cuts and maybe pick someone up...just hold down the fort until we bring Fisher back... Move an existing player into the LT spot. What say you?

Just now, dhitter said:

Just curious about the board's opinion as to who at this point is the best option at LT for 2021? Is it one of the existing remaining FAs on the market (Reiff, Villanueva, Okung)....draft a starting LT...wait on other potential cuts and maybe pick someone up...just hold down the fort until we bring Fisher back... Move an existing player into the LT spot. What say you?

All of the above. No need to worry. All options are still open.  DWBH

27 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i don't mind remmers being brought back, but if reither is back as well i may lose my mind. you simply can not bring back all these guys that constructed the worse o line in superbowl history.

I am still confused as to why Wylie was brought back.  At this point we have Rankin and Durant as back up guards.  What value does Wylie bring? 

People are nervous about Niang starting at RT. So the Chiefs bring in vet competition. No one gets handed a job. Long and LDT compete for RG. Thuney at LG.

We still have Rankin, Allegretti, and Durant in the mix. They will sign a vet LT, and they will draft one early as well. There will be competition there. Unsure about their plans at center, but even if it is Reiter, it will be on a 1 yr, and they will draft one to groom. 

It's not the best line I've ever seen, but they are slowly building competition and depth. Plus the Bell signing actually has an impact on passing downs. We had no blocking TE last year. 

Just gotta ride this out. It's gonna look much different when camp rolls around. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

People are nervous about Niang starting at RT. So the Chiefs bring in vet competition. No one gets handed a job. Long and LDT compete for RG. Thuney at LG.

We still have Rankin, Allegretti, and Durant in the mix. They will sign a vet LT, and they will draft one early as well. There will be competition there. Unsure about their plans at center, but even if it is Reiter, it will be on a 1 yr, and they will draft one to groom. 

It's not the best line I've ever seen, but they are slowly building competition and depth. Plus the Bell signing actually has am impact on passing downs. We had no blocking TE last year. 

Just gotta ride this out. It's gonna look much different when camp rolls around. 

I know it's the antithesis of how Reid's mind works, but there's never been a better time to draft a LT.  We can move up in the draft if we have to.  That gives us a premium position at a bargain price.  I just don't see a veteran out there available that excites me, especially for the money they are going to cost.  Line was our top need, but not our only need.  I really hope Reid gets over his aversion to running a rookie out there, because I think that's the best case scenario for the team as a whole. 

27 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I know it's the antithesis of how Reid's mind works, but there's never been a better time to draft a LT.  We can move up in the draft if we have to.  That gives us a premium position at a bargain price.  I just don't see a veteran out there available that excites me, especially for the money they are going to cost.  Line was our top need, but not our only need.  I really hope Reid gets over his aversion to running a rookie out there, because I think that's the best case scenario for the team as a whole. 

Okung, Villanueva or Reiff are all 3 fine as temporary LTs. I think any of those 3 can give you what Fisher did for a yr or 2. 

As far as the draft there are 3 legit day 1 STUD starters at LT and none of them will be close to available at 31. Sewell is a pipe dream, as is Slater. Darrisaw could probably be had in the late teens or early 20s. But that's a significant trade up. 

Eichenberg is NFL ready and will be there at 31 but his upside is capped. Then there's the whole slew of guys with big upside but are too raw to plug and play at LT like Cosmi, Mayfield, Radunz, etc. 

So it's going to be interesting to see how Veach handles this. Cap numbers and injuries forced his hand. And he has some real work to do. 

And there's always Orlando Brown. We would have to pay through the nose in draft picks, and I don't think Veach wants to. Still too many holes.

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Okung, Villanueva or Reiff are all 3 fine as temporary LTs. I think any of those 3 can give you what Fisher did for a yr or 2. 

As far as the draft there are 3 legit day 1 STUD starters at LT and none of them will be close to available at 31. Sewell is a pipe dream, as is Slater. Darrisaw could probably be had in the late teens or early 20s. But that's a significant trade up. 

Eichenberg is NFL ready and will be there at 31 but his upside is capped. Then there's the whole slew of guys with big upside but are too raw to plug and play at LT like Cosmi, Mayfield, Radunz, etc. 

So it's going to be interesting to see how Veach handles this. Cap numbers and injuries forced his hand. And he has some real work to do. 

And there's always Orlando Brown. We would have to pay through the nose in draft picks, and I don't think Veach wants to. Still too many holes.

Curious as to what makes Cosmi raw? 

A 3 year starter that got playing time as a freshman as well.  Started at RG, then moved to RT, then finished at LT. 

Playing big time football. 

Question mark on him was strength.  But showed up at his prepay weighing 316 and did 36 reps on the bench press.  I think that question was answered.  His 4.86 at 6'7" 316 shows his athleticism that everyone knew he had.  

I also think Jenkins can step in day 1 too

12 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Curious as to what makes Cosmi raw? 

A 3 year starter that got playing time as a freshman as well.  Started at RG, then moved to RT, then finished at LT. 

Playing big time football. 

Question mark on him was strength.  But showed up at his prepay weighing 316 and did 36 reps on the bench press.  I think that question was answered.  His 4.86 at 6'7" 316 shows his athleticism that everyone knew he had.  

I also think Jenkins can step in day 1 too

Don't know for sure but you can be raw with hand placement, foot work, recognizing the defensive stunts etc. Just because a guy can run and bench some weight does not mean he may be ready. Also playing all over he may have to work at getting better at just one position.  Maybe that hurt him not settling into one spot to grow at it? Just throwing spit balls here.

24 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Don't know for sure but you can be raw with hand placement, foot work, recognizing the defensive stunts etc. Just because a guy can run and bench some weight does not mean he may be ready. Also playing all over he may have to work at getting better at just one position.  Maybe that hurt him not settling into one spot to grow at it? Just throwing spit balls here.

He's been talked about as one of the better pass blockers.  His questions were strength.  

That's why I posted his numbers. 

Athleticism has never been a question for Cosmi.  

His freshman year was RG. Sophomore year was RT. Junior and senior year was LT. He has started at LT for 2 years.  He settled in.  

I showed that to show his versatility which has also been questioned

1 minute ago, Palangi said:

He's been talked about as one of the better pass blockers.  His questions were strength.  

That's why I posted his numbers. 

Athleticism has never been a question for Cosmi.  

His freshman year was RG. Sophomore year was RT. Junior and senior year was LT. He has started at LT for 2 years.  He settled in.  

I showed that to show his versatility which has also been questioned

I understand but I am guessing some scout or teams see something they think may need help in. Of course we remember what was said if Mahomes too.

Just now, kkuenn said:

I understand but I am guessing some scout or teams see something they think may need help in. Of course we remember what was said if Mahomes too.

Correct.  

I see Cosmi as a guy that could step in at LT day one.  

I think he has answered the questions.  

1 minute ago, Palangi said:

Correct.  

I see Cosmi as a guy that could step in at LT day one.  

I think he has answered the questions.  

I was curious and google him and raw being at LT. There is a lot out there on it. Guess scout's will have to do there job. Also said he was a great run blocker. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+cosmi+raw+at+left+tackle+for+nfl&client=ms-android-att-us-revc&source=android-browser&sxsrf=ALeKk02e5g6R8nB4kTOusCizqF8KFvbVGQ%3A1616126863683&ei=jyNUYNiXKcaxtQbC5YGYDg&oq=is+cosmi+raw+at+left+tackle+for+nfl&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAM6BAgAEEc6BAgeEApQgxdYxBxggjBoAHABeACAAeYBiAGHBZIBBTAuMy4xmAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

PROSPECT SUMMARY – SAMUEL COSMI

During his childhood, Samuel Cosmi was mostly involved in soccer. Serving as the goalie, he was only allowed to play there because it kept him from getting red cards. He was introduced to football after his mother signed him up for a youth league. What sold him on the game was following a championship victory, he got to experience the lavish life as he and his teammates got to ride in a limousine. Starting off as a fullback, he transitioned to the trenches where he played defensive tackle. After being moved up to the varsity team at Atascocita High School, he was moved to the offensive line. Unfortunately, an ankle injury sidelined him for the duration of the season. Returning healthy, his first scholarship offer came from Memphis, but he eventually committed to Houston, which is where eventual Texas head coach Tom Herman was located. Hired by the Longhorns the following November, Cosmi flipped his allegiance and headed to Austin. 

Cosmi started in 34 of 35 games at offensive tackle for the Longhorns. Experiencing 14 games at right tackle and 21 at left tackle, he’s has a wealth of experience playing on both sides of the offensive line. At 6-foot-7 and 310 pounds, he’s a lean offensive tackle that has plenty of room left on his frame to fill out. With plenty of capacity on his body structure, he has the build to pack on 10-15 more pounds of muscle. As a run blocker, he climbs to the second level with ease in order to latch and eliminate targets. On the other hand, his lack of play strength on the first level shows up at the point of attack as he isn’t a frequent people mover. Cosmi is a shield blocker that’s able to position his frame into winning alignments in order to create running lanes. In pass protection, his length gives him an advantage against defenders that are attempting to bend and turn the corner against him. Possessing above-average athleticism, he’s able to overcompensate and get away with the current technical flaws that he has. Cosmi will need seasoning as a pass protector as he needs to gain strength as well as refine his lower half. Frequently leaving his hips parallel to the sideline and the overreliance on out-athleting his opponent will be habits that need to be eliminated. Leverage is another flaw that must continue to be worked on as he has tendencies to play sky high and it results in defenders being able to get underneath of him. The former Longhorn blocker is an athletic offensive tackle that has many ingredients already present, but needs the proper coaching in order to blend them all together and possibly add more in order to reach his final state. 

Ideal Role: Cosmi is a right tackle that has the potential to eventually slide over to the left side if able to correct the flaws in his lower half and continue to gain muscle mass onto his frame.

Scheme Fit: Zone Blocking Scheme

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Jordan Reid

Games watched: Texas Tech (2020), TCU (2020), Oklahoma (2020), Baylor (2020), Iowa State (2020), West Virginia (2020)

Best Game Studied: Texas Tech (2020), TCU (2020)

Worst Game Studied: West Virginia (2020)

Pass Sets: Even though Cosmi is an above-average athlete, there’s a lot more room for growth in his pass sets. Considering his athleticism, he doesn’t get a lot of depth overall. His post foot hardly ever gains ground vertically and instead he performs a shuffle technique as opposed to a natural kick backward. Shuffling to stay in front of defenders has resulted in him facing troubles when edge rushers have decided to bull rush and run through the midline of him. His pass set overall has potential, but there are tweaks that need to be made in order for him to stay in front of wiser defenders.

Competitive Toughness: A competitor in both the run and passing game, Cosmi shows to be a highly-competitive prospect when tangled up. Hand-to-hand combat and back and forth matchups have happened frequently. He’s not hesitant with showing nastiness as a run blocker, even though his natural strength doesn’t allow him to generate a considerable amount of movement. As a pass protector, he contains a violent hand swipe and finish that he’s routinely used in order to create quick wins for him. 

Lateral Mobility: Asked to move frequently in the Longhorns' offense, Cosmi proves to have good movements laterally. Outside zone, bootlegs, roll out, and full/half slide protections were concepts that have frequently been used in the offense. Blocks that require him to stay on the move look routine. Flat down the line movements were frequently seen and he performed those types admirably.

Length: One of Cosmi’s greatest assets is his length. Having long arms combined with a lengthy lower half helped create an advantage for Cosmi. Even though he has hot and cold moments in pass protection, his length is able to overwhelm edge defenders. The task of surpassing it constantly takes a toll on defensive ends throughout games as well. 

Football IQ: The former Longhorn offensive tackle proves to have a favorable understanding of seeing blitzes across from him. Noticing blitzes coming off of the edge and the various alignments that match is knowledge that he’s acquired over the past two seasons. Seeing and identifying fronts is another area that he’s shown to be capable of. 

Hand Technique: In pass protection, Cosmi’s hands remain wide until defenders are able to initiate contact. He’s been unable to find common ground with the timing of the readiness associated with them, which results in him leaving his chest exposed. When able to latch on, he can generate creases as a run blocker, but his second-level climbs must become more accurate on zone-based concepts.

Anchor Ability: Still needing to gain strength in both the upper and lower halves of his body, Cosmi doesn’t contain the strength levels necessary in order to consistently stand his ground and halt the rushers that are running down the middle of his body. Attempting to readjust his hands and feet on the fly has constantly proved to be unsuccessful as he allows penetration to matchups across from him. As he continues to get older, gain more experience, and spend time in an NFL strength and conditioning program, his body will begin to mature.

Power at the P.O.A.: Cosmi contains power at the point of attack and he’s able to generate mild amounts of push. As a run blocker, he displays a mean streak that comes and goes often, but is enough for him to be an ideal fit in a zone-based blocking scheme that stretches defenses horizontally. Flashing his hands and utilizing them effectively is a trait that he’s still working to improve. Cosmi is often caught being the reactionary player instead of the aggressor. 

Versatility: Having played both left and right tackle, Cosmi has the versatility and prior experience of playing both spots. He's best suited to begin his career as a right tackle, but having the exposure of playing on both sides will only help him. Cosmi doesn’t have the bend nor functional strength in order to play any of the three interior spots.   

Prospect Comparison: Taylor Decker (2016 NFL Draft, Detroit Lions)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report--ot-samuel-cosmi

Bengals signed LT Riley Reiff, formerly of the Vikings. 

The Bengals are beefing up their offensive line after watching Joe Burrow run for his life through much of his rookie campaign. Reiff was graded by Pro Football Focus as the league's 20th best pass blocking tackle in 2020. Reiff allowed a single sack last year in Minnesota. There's a chance Reiff, 32, could be moved to right tackle as a replacement for Bobby Hart, a likely salary cap casualty. 

I guess now it's Okung or Villanueva  or Bust. I just shudder of the thought of having a rookie start at LT unless we trade up to get a real gem. but man that takes a lot of draft capital and the Chiefs have a lot of holes yet to fill.

I'd breath a deep breath of relief if we could get one of the aforementioned say 3 year 25 mill?